A/AA season start to be delayed

MiddleCoastBias

Just now, Dominikk85 said:

I don't see AAA starting before MLB. They just assume mlb starts on time here and if mlb gets delayed AAA gets delayed accordingly.

Got it. yeah, that makes sense. Honestly I could see them merging the minor leagues into camps again. Another lost season of prospect advancement will cripple trades and talent evaluation. If you have any helium prospects...you probably should trade them now before they burst. 

34 minutes ago, YoYoIsMyHero said:

They could just not allow fans to attend the games if it's that big of a concern. I understand the seriousness of Covid, trust me I do, but there is no reason ST shouldn't start on time. They made it work last year where there were extended periods of time with players not contracting the virus. 

7 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

If ST is in jeopardy of starting on time, I see no way Lightfoot will ever allow limited fans in games anytime soon.

Meanwhile, I see the Chiefs last night having 20K in attendance without a problem.  

The "Without a problem" part is sort of hard to verify. It's almost certain there were people there who had it, there will certainly be some people at the game who come down with COVID afterwards. Did they get it at the game? Dunno.

12 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

They could just not allow fans to attend the games if it's that big of a concern. I understand the seriousness of Covid, trust me I do, but there is no reason ST shouldn't start on time. They made it work last year where there were extended periods of time with players not contracting the virus. 

The Bottom Line is Jerry really doesn't give a rats ass if there is a season or not in 2021, 2022, 2023 or beyond. If the White Sox "multi championship window" closes without a single game being played, Jerry does not care, and will not risk a single penny to make it happen.

He and his fellow owners rather have no baseball (COVID and the CBA) than have baseball not strictly on their terms. He was perfectly fine cancelling 1994, and if Sonia Sotomayor didn't b****slap the owners in 1995, there may have been multiple additional cancelled seasons / World Series.   

Matt Spiegel stated the rumored date for allowing partial fan capacity into Chicago Stadiums is August 1st.  Jerry Reinsdorf and Tom Rickets, and most other owners want zero baseball before then. They also don't care about the integrity of the season, which is why they continue to pimp a farcical 16 team playoffs and a 60 game regular season, when an 100-120 game season would have worked the same last year, and a 162 game season would work in 2021.

• Like 1

I really hope that there's a minor league season. Being down here in Indiana, I really look forward to Charlotte playing in Indy every year. 

It's great: cheap seats right down by the field, up close in a great park with easy in and out before and after game. 

Don't my seeing Charlotte from me two years in a row!

47 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The "Without a problem" part is sort of hard to verify. It's almost certain there were people there who had it, there will certainly be some people at the game who come down with COVID afterwards. Did they get it at the game? Dunno.

Without a problem, meaning, without hesitation in allowing it to take place.

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I can't see how the minor leagues can survive another season without games.  Woof.

And just give me an162 game MLB season.  No more of this shortened season BS.  

I've been wondering how all the pitchers will fare after a shortened season. Going from 60 games back to 162 games. Hopefully we don't see too many injuries to pitchers.

I think without a doubt one thing we can all agree upon is that the MLB will screw this up. They're like the government haha. 

They purposely wait to negotiate this type of stuff instead of having plans A, B, and C public. They want to keep it close and quiet and then "blame" the current case levels on why ST or the start of the season is delayed. All of this can and has been projectable to formulate multiple plans around. At the end of the day they'll use the guise of "health" as the reason they're delaying the season rather than money while we all know its the latter. 

Hopefully i end up wrong, but i still think they try and delay this season by a month or two to allow vaccinations to start ramping up more and therefore deaths to plummet (since it'll be the 65 and over crowd with the vaccination) once deaths start plummeting I think you'll see a lot more of "partial seating" plans across all sports. So more like .. 33% type crowds. This season may be a lot more 10-15k type crowds for a longer time. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I've been wondering how all the pitchers will fare after a shortened season. Going from 60 games back to 162 games. Hopefully we don't see too many injuries to pitchers.

I would very much expect that there will be some issues, even for guys who haven't had them before. That's one of the reasons why this team should have 7-8 known starters (Player X, Kopech, Lopez, Stiever, Crochet all in the 5th spot for example), because even the frontline, veteran guys haven't had to do anything like this rapid change in innings and arm conditioning.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

I think without a doubt one thing we can all agree upon is that the MLB will screw this up. They're like the government haha. 

They purposely wait to negotiate this type of stuff instead of having plans A, B, and C public. They want to keep it close and quiet and then "blame" the current case levels on why ST or the start of the season is delayed. All of this can and has been projectable to formulate multiple plans around. At the end of the day they'll use the guise of "health" as the reason they're delaying the season rather than money while we all know its the latter. 

Hopefully i end up wrong, but i still think they try and delay this season by a month or two to allow vaccinations to start ramping up more and therefore deaths to plummet (since it'll be the 65 and over crowd with the vaccination) once deaths start plummeting I think you'll see a lot more of "partial seating" plans across all sports. So more like .. 33% type crowds. This season may be a lot more 10-15k type crowds for a longer time. 

Keep in mind there's a big risk right now that deaths won't plummet nearly as fast as we want. If the British variant of this virus, B.1.1.7, is both 50% more transmissable and actually more deadly, then having it spread easier and kill more people could very readily push the wrong direction, at least in March and April. Both of those factors have been proposed - almost everyone seems to believe the British one is much easier to transmit, and it has been proposed to be more deadly although that paper is more recent and has not yet been as fully accepted.

Matt Spiegel had a good segment Hour 3 today (should be up to listen online shortly) worth a listen regarding both the DH/Playoff "negotiations" and the what very well have been a letter drafted by Rob Manfred's office signed by the Arizona mayors, the same mayors who are hosting indoor NBA and NHL games with fans.

• The NBA, NHL and NFL sought to maximize games played, regardless of fan attendance. MLB for a second straight season is attempting to minimize games played, except of course for playoff games where they keep nearly every penny and players are paid a pittance.
  • The NBA, NHL and NFL implements rule and roster changes to enhance fan enjoyment and protect player safety. MLB owners prefer putting a weaker product on the field (pitchers hitting) which makes for a weaker product and also exposes highly paid pitchers to injury when the bat and run the bases.

Ode to MLB and those who are running it into the ground.

2 hours ago, BrianAnderson said:

Yup, today's news confirms this belief. It's really unbelievable. Any one of us could lead this situation better than they have. 

However, they are smart -- they are doing this for their own benefit as a way to delay it and act stupid. 

1 hour ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Matt Spiegel had a good segment Hour 3 today (should be up to listen online shortly) worth a listen regarding both the DH/Playoff "negotiations" and the what very well have been a letter drafted by Rob Manfred's office signed by the Arizona mayors, the same mayors who are hosting indoor NBA and NHL games with fans.

• The NBA, NHL and NFL sought to maximize games played, regardless of fan attendance. MLB for a second straight season is attempting to minimize games played, except of course for playoff games where they keep nearly every penny and players are paid a pittance.
  • The NBA, NHL and NFL implements rule and roster changes to enhance fan enjoyment and protect player safety. MLB owners prefer putting a weaker product on the field (pitchers hitting) which makes for a weaker product and also exposes highly paid pitchers to injury when the bat and run the bases.

Ode to MLB and those who are running it into the ground.

Oh come now the Owners wouldn't do anything that underhanded to delay the start of the season.  Manfred said they want to start the season on time!

1 hour ago, iWiN4PreP said:

As a side note: Anyone have any good books to read on the topic of MLB Owners vs. Players Union? I haven't been able to find any recent books, but it seems like a study topic ripe for some good reads.

MLB: A Whole Different Ballgame: The Inside Story of the Baseball Revolution, written by Marvin Miller, a Legit Hall of Famer.

NHL: Career Misconduct: The Story of Bill Wirtz's Greed Corruption and the Betrayal of Blackhawks' Fans, written by Mark Weinberg

I'm waiting for a sequel covering Jerry Reinsdorf by Weinberg.

• Like 1