2021 Catch-All

SoxAce

• 2 weeks later...

I just got off the phone with my parents.  Three families in their neighborhood who they really don't know came by and offered to shovel their driveway and sidewalk. It sure does make me happy to know people notice and are there to help. 

When it gets around freezing here in Texas some school districts use a weather day and keep everyone home. I'm reminded of my first experience with this and hearing all the districts that closed but we were open. 

I was getting ready for my commute on possibly icy roads when a coworker responded to a social media post I made complaining about leaving my warm home to drive on frozen streets. He pointed out how our school building was the only warm building some of our students had to go to. The poorest of our families do not have furnaces to keep them warm. Perhaps a small fire. Perhaps they have enough blankets. 

I wiped the tears and drove my humble ass to school and said a thank you for all my blessings. 

It's inconceivable to me that we still have folks in America that risk dying when it's too cold or too warm. 

Stay warm y'all. 

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

When it gets around freezing here in Texas some school districts use a weather day and keep everyone home. I'm reminded of my first experience with this and hearing all the districts that closed but we were open. 

I was getting ready for my commute on possibly icy roads when a coworker responded to a social media post I made complaining about leaving my warm home to drive on frozen streets. He pointed out how our school building was the only warm building some of our students had to go to. The poorest of our families do not have furnaces to keep them warm. Perhaps a small fire. Perhaps they have enough blankets. 

I wiped the tears and drove my humble ass to school and said a thank you for all my blessings. 

It's inconceivable to me that we still have folks in America that risk dying when it's too cold or too warm. 

Stay warm y'all. 

When lived down there in the 80's that's wasn't an unusual thing.  It was more of a practical decision for some.  Why invest in something that happens once every decade at that cost when they  had more immediate needs?  It is like air conditioning in Alaska.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Texsox said:

Tex says howdy. Y'all staying warm? It's colder than a cast iron commode here in central Texas. 

Tex: I'm wearing two scarves these days, long underwear under the jeans and double socks. Despite the precautions, Greg still caught a moderately nasty cold and cough.

Reminds me of being a kid during winter time, and walking from 103rd St and Homan to Queen of Martyrs church, stopping in there to thaw for 2-3 minutes, then continuing the trek through St. Xavier grounds, onto Brother Rice property, entering Brother Rice in the early a.m. for my first class of the day -- Swimming! Brrrr.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 6:14 PM, greasywheels121 said:

I hate winter.

Agreed.

I made a post on FB last summer during one of our 90+ degree days. I had walked into my camping trailer and the thermometer said it was 103 degrees inside. Took a pic of it and said that I still preferred that to any day with snow or below freezing temps.