2021 Catch-All

SoxAce

10 hours ago, Iwritecode said:

Agreed.

I made a post on FB last summer during one of our 90+ degree days. I had walked into my camping trailer and the thermometer said it was 103 degrees inside. Took a pic of it and said that I still preferred that to any day with snow or below freezing temps.

Right there with you. Will take the summer extreme over this always.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2021 at 9:45 AM, Iwritecode said:

Agreed.

I made a post on FB last summer during one of our 90+ degree days. I had walked into my camping trailer and the thermometer said it was 103 degrees inside. Took a pic of it and said that I still preferred that to any day with snow or below freezing temps.

We were thinking of heading to our camper. 

Here at the sticks and bricks I have a generator,  two propane stoves,  a griddle,  grill, sleeping bags,  and enough food to last weeks. I feel sorry for folks that can't take care of themselves. Yesterday I heard three or four generators humming in my neighborhood. 

It goes back to my days in Illinois and seeing folks complaining when tornadoes caused power outages. Generators are cheap. Everyone should own one for emergencies. 

As they say country boy can survive. 

13 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

Kinda sad that the era of "snow days" seems to be over now. Overwhelming majority of school districts around Chicago just had "remote learning day" on Tuesday.

We had President's Day as a remote professional development day which became partially cancelled. Tuesday through Friday are snow days. 

2 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

2:55 pm Central Standard Time - our second SUV sized vehicle will be (hopefully) touching its wheels down on Mars while a large set of hydrazine powered thrusters hangs overhead.

Other feeds here, I've currently got the JPL Raw stream open.

https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive

Successful touchdown! New Mars Rover everyone!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

Successful touchdown! New Mars Rover everyone!

Mars rover with onboard hypersonic helicopter!

https://mars.nasa.gov/technology/helicopter/

They're using it to test commercial-off-the-shelf electronics components as well. If they find they don't need to use bepoke radiation-hardened chips on as many systems, it could make future rovers cheaper and easier and more powerful. The computers running the rover itself are more like mid-aughts technology compared to the Snapdragon 801 cellphone chip running the chopper from the mid-10's.

Edited by StrangeSox

7 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Why when I read these hacks on yahoo (why I read yahoo - I don't know - call it habit) do I just question things. Is calculating a cost per nugget really a "hack" in this day and age?  

It's a word that's gotten overused, catchier than "trick" or "tip" I guess.

11 hours ago, Texsox said:

I have to applaud that pilot out of Denver when his 777 lost an engine. 

Am I wrong or was the 777 the same model that Boeing grounded because of that issue that caused a dramatic drop in altitude and caused that crash a few years ago off the coast of (I believe) China 

34 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

It's kind of funny that a lot of the insurrectionists say they never actually made it inside the capitol and then the pics roll out and they change their story to "I thought it was ok, but I didn't break anything"

Roll back earlier when they were brave patriots standing up for freedom and stopping the steal,  brave and strong just like our founding fathers. 

Could you imagine Washington - "I was at Lexington but I wasn't involved. I was picking up some wheat for Martha".

On 2/22/2021 at 7:22 PM, Texsox said:

Any recommendations on an Android tablet? 

I been using Samsung tablets for years. I loved my old one but it finally got to a point where I couldn't even update it or install any more apps on it because it simply ran out of space. It only had like 4GB. I didn't even have that many apps on it. It also wouldn't hold a charge for more than a day. It was like 10 years old though.

My new one is a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7. I don't remember for sure how much storage I have on it. I think it might be 64GB. It works well for what I use it for which isn't all that much. Mostly web-browsing and maybe a game or 2.

Edited by Iwritecode

21 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

I been using Samsung tablets for years. I loved my old one but it finally got to a point where I couldn't even update it or install any more apps on it because it simply ran out of space. It only had like 4GB. I didn't even have that many apps on it. It also wouldn't hold a charge for more than a day. It was like 10 years old though.

My new one is a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7. I don't remember for sure how much storage I have on it. I think it might be 64GB. It works well for what I use it for which isn't all that much. Mostly web-browsing and maybe a game or 2.

That's the exact one I'm looking at. Thank you for the feedback. I have an employer iPad but feel better keeping personal stuff off it. Since my phone and watch are both Samsung it seems like a good idea to stay in the family.