2021 Catch-All

SoxAce

Woke up at 5 am to put a brisket on my smoker. I was totally unprepared. I’m short post oak, didn’t have coarse ground pepper, didn’t run my temp probe through the gasket before firing up the heat, didn’t pay attention to my vents before going back to bed, didn’t trim the brisket, ugh. It will be a miracle if it turns out OK. 

Six hours in and my ten pound brisket hit 170. I’m wrapping in pink butcher paper and putting it back on the smoker. My WSM is holding at 225. I’m hoping to pull the brisket off in about three hours and allow to rest for an hour or two in an ice chest. Traditionally I open my first beer at this point, but it’s feeling a bit too early. 

3 hours ago, knightni said:

How'd it end up?

Ok. Moist, but not as tender as I would like. I had to finish it in the oven. The humidity was close to 100% and I couldn’t keep coals going. 

Catch all thread item ... Say what you want, Elon Musk was good last night on SNL. He was in a plethora of sketches and they were moderately funny. 

In my humble opinion, SNL is only funny when the sketches are sort of weird/bizarre. The political stuff is kind of unnecessary/dumb/partisan. But last night there were some weird sketches with good writing/dialogue. You can find most of the sketches with Musk online. I challenge you to watch them and say he's not a decent actor. I'd give the episode a B to B-minus. Usually they are C to C-minus to D. I like when Miley Cyrus performs as well. Most of the music on SNL is not my cup of tea. I think she is talented and I like her offerings generally.

Edited by greg775

On 5/18/2021 at 4:45 PM, ptatc said:

Does anyone use Google pay or Samsung pay on a regular basis? Trying to decide which one is better. I've read the reviews but wanted to know about real experiences. 

I use Samsung pay because it works on my watch and phone. I used Google for a while as well. The problem is I don't use either one often enough to make it as seamless as pulling out my debit card. I couldn't really tell which was better. 

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

I use Samsung pay because it works on my watch and phone. I used Google for a while as well. The problem is I don't use either one often enough to make it as seamless as pulling out my debit card. I couldn't really tell which was better. 

Thanks! I think I'm going to use the trial and error experiment as well to see if one has an advantage.

16 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Thanks! I think I'm going to use the trial and error experiment as well to see if one has an advantage.

I forget to use it and just pull my debit card from the back of my phone. Most of the time I have just my phone, drivers license, and debit card with me. I guess I remember being an early user and having it not work half the time and needing to just pull out the card.

1 hour ago, Kyyle23 said:

Pretty amazing how this story isn't bigger than it is

I’ve asked 3 or 4 people in my circle “Hey did you see/hear about the 60 minutes piece ok UFO’s” and no one has any idea what I’m talking about. 

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

I’ve asked 3 or 4 people in my circle “Hey did you see/hear about the 60 minutes piece ok UFO’s” and no one has any idea what I’m talking about. 

I will have to go back and see if I can find it.  I have seen some other stuff about some of the most recent cases, but something like this will be a bit less dramatized.

22 minutes ago, Tony said:

Its funny, I have always thought the US Government let the UFO thing go, or probably even led or encouraged it, to hide their own military black ops programs in plain sight.  I have an open mind to the idea of alien life, as I think it is almost a statistical certainty in the universe, but the question is can they get here, and do they come here.

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Its funny, I have always thought the US Government let the UFO thing go, or probably even led or encouraged it, to hide their own military black ops programs in plain sight.  I have an open mind to the idea of alien life, as I think it is almost a statistical certainty in the universe, but the question is can they get here, and do they come here.

Right. And obviously it goes without saying a UFO doesn't have to mean space martian, it could be anything that we simply don't know what it is. 

I also agree completely there has to be something else out there, but are they here? 

I do think it's interesting about what Trump did and putting that small UFO provision into the COVID relief package, and how they had to release information by late June (that was mentioned in that Twitter thread.) Part of me wonders if this slow "leak" is to start bracing people that information is coming that will change history forever. And no one knows how the world would react to official confirmation that something else is out there. It also will create a tremendous amount of doubt, somehow more than there already is, that the government has been lying to them for decades. It's a whole big mess if/when this comes out. 

56 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The "how did they come here" part is something I am pretty sure we will not be able to comprehend 

6 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

The "how did they come here" part is something I am pretty sure we will not be able to comprehend 

Yeah, by conventional physics, it is all but impossible.  But that doesn't mean that we don't have it wrong either.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah, by conventional physics, it is all but impossible.  But that doesn't mean that we don't have it wrong either.

And just like sci-fi movies....are we still basically cavemen compared to another civilization out there? My wife said "I mean, why would they come here, I just can't fathom exploring another planet like that.." and my response was "I mean, the US is doing that on Mars right now..."

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

If the technology exists for intra-generational galactic travel, yes we essentially are smart cavemen.

Not sure if I'd even call us smart. If that technology exists, one can only imagine the other technologies that must exist that surely surpass human comprehension