2021 Catch-All

SoxAce

6 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Long story short. They showed up and asked me to turn off my water main. I asked them why that was necessary because I have a shut off valve under my sink. They went under my sink and turned a different valve that goes to my water filter (while the water was on) until a small amount of water came out. They said that my sink was leaking and they had to call Best Buy to get permission to do the installation. They said while they were calling to go and turn my water main off. I went in my crawl space and turned the water main off. When I got back upstairs they were completely gone. I thought they had to move the truck cause they were blocking a street so I tried to call them and find out where they were. I then had a voicemail from Best Buy that the installation people told them that my pipes were broke and that I need a plumber to inspect before they would come back. My current refrigerator already has a water line attached to it so they had to do no installation. They never even tried to turn the shut off under the sink, just said it needed to be the water main.

I am pretty sure that they get paid if they report there is a problem with the customer. So basically they made up an issue and told me to go away while they lied to Best Buy. I tried to call Best Buy for over an hour and when I finally reached them was informed they could not install until next week. It was completely shocking and I could never imagine a store ever allowing a $2,500 purchase to be handled that way. 

After speaking to the instore Manager at Best Buy for 30 minutes he basically admitted they have no control over appliance installation, it is done by contractors and they basically cant assist in anyway. Which is why I am warning people.

That is messed up

17 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Long story short. They showed up and asked me to turn off my water main. I asked them why that was necessary because I have a shut off valve under my sink. They went under my sink and turned a different valve that goes to my water filter (while the water was on) until a small amount of water came out. They said that my sink was leaking and they had to call Best Buy to get permission to do the installation. They said while they were calling to go and turn my water main off. I went in my crawl space and turned the water main off. When I got back upstairs they were completely gone. I thought they had to move the truck cause they were blocking a street so I tried to call them and find out where they were. I then had a voicemail from Best Buy that the installation people told them that my pipes were broke and that I need a plumber to inspect before they would come back. My current refrigerator already has a water line attached to it so they had to do no installation. They never even tried to turn the shut off under the sink, just said it needed to be the water main.

I am pretty sure that they get paid if they report there is a problem with the customer. So basically they made up an issue and told me to go away while they lied to Best Buy. I tried to call Best Buy for over an hour and when I finally reached them was informed they could not install until next week. It was completely shocking and I could never imagine a store ever allowing a $2,500 purchase to be handled that way. 

After speaking to the instore Manager at Best Buy for 30 minutes he basically admitted they have no control over appliance installation, it is done by contractors and they basically cant assist in anyway. Which is why I am warning people.

Holy crap.  We had a fridge and washer installed by them, and they were excellent.  I had more problems with the items themselves (will never buy a Samsung appliance again, but love their phones) than anything.

29 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Holy crap.  We had a fridge and washer installed by them, and they were excellent.  I had more problems with the items themselves (will never buy a Samsung appliance again, but love their phones) than anything.

The reality is all/most of the shops all sub-contract out the install so no matter what you kind of run a risk of having a bad install experience that is at least partially out of control of the main vendor (because it is a sub).  I had an appliance from Best Buy about 2 years ago put in (after years of never using Best Buy) and it was really good.  I usually have used Lowes but will not I have had issues in past with them -> but they were always pretty forthcoming about trying to help/resolve...whether giving discounts, etc. 

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

The reality is all/most of the shops all sub-contract out the install so no matter what you kind of run a risk of having a bad install experience that is at least partially out of control of the main vendor (because it is a sub).  I had an appliance from Best Buy about 2 years ago put in (after years of never using Best Buy) and it was really good.  I usually have used Lowes but will not I have had issues in past with them -> but they were always pretty forthcoming about trying to help/resolve...whether giving discounts, etc. 

Pretty much we get all of our electronics and appliances at Best Buy or Lowes with 0 financing on their credit cards to spread the hit out.

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Chicagoland has a store called ABT who does their own installs. I actually have a contact there who was giving me a much better deal than Best Buy, they just didnt have the exact model.

My main issue with Best Buy itself was it took over an hour to get anyone on the phone after the installation team left and even then they could not reschedule me for another week. Even worse is that they somehow allowed one of the products I bought (the water line attachment) to go out of stock after the installation, which meant they then were going to have to delay my installation even longer. The store Manager called me today again and he said that the Warehouse and the installation team never even responded to him from yesterday.

It may be better in other areas, but ABT will match every Best Buy price. Im not sure if they offer 0% financing though. 

1 hour ago, Soxbadger said:

Chicagoland has a store called ABT who does their own installs. I actually have a contact there who was giving me a much better deal than Best Buy, they just didnt have the exact model.

My main issue with Best Buy itself was it took over an hour to get anyone on the phone after the installation team left and even then they could not reschedule me for another week. Even worse is that they somehow allowed one of the products I bought (the water line attachment) to go out of stock after the installation, which meant they then were going to have to delay my installation even longer. The store Manager called me today again and he said that the Warehouse and the installation team never even responded to him from yesterday.

It may be better in other areas, but ABT will match every Best Buy price. Im not sure if they offer 0% financing though. 

I have 0% financing for my washer/dryer, through synchrony 

4 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

I have Synchrony for my Discount Tire card and my Care Credit card that I had to use when my dog got surgery. They've been pretty good.

Seems to be the popular financing company right now, we got it through Abt and also when we bought a bed at American Mattress a few years ago 

48 minutes ago, Iwritecode said:

I have Synchrony for my Discount Tire card and my Care Credit card that I had to use when my dog got surgery. They've been pretty good.

I just got this one six months ago when I had a blow out on the Borman.  Same thing.  0% for a year with 4 tires.

Home Depot quoted my parents $18,000 for new kitchen cabinets and counter tops. After I did a couple calculations I told my mom she was getting ripped off. Long story short after she canceled the order the manager quoted $10,500. 

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

Home Depot quoted my parents $18,000 for new kitchen cabinets and counter tops. After I did a couple calculations I told my mom she was getting ripped off. Long story short after she canceled the order the manager quoted $10,500. 

Did they take the second quote?  I would be very interested to see the original quote matched up with the second one to see where they gauged her

19 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

Did they take the second quote?  I would be very interested to see the original quote matched up with the second one to see where they gauged her

No, she was too pissed off. This was pre Covid. I priced out the materials and it would have been about $4,000 plus labor. 

I believe Home Depot floated a price expecting resistance and got none. My parents kept AOL for nine years after switching to Comcast. My dad traded in a paid off car that would have wholesaled for $14,000 on a leased car and accepted $4,500 because he “didn’t know how leases work” and was happy with the payments they quoted.  I can go on for hours how they’ve been taken by salespeople. I really wish I lived closer. 

I took my mother with when I was buying furniture for my first house and she couldn’t believe I asked for a discount off list price, free delivery and set up, etc. I saved almost $5,000 and thought I could have done better. When we walked out she was worried the salesperson was upset. 

On 9/26/2021 at 4:01 PM, Texsox said:

No, she was too pissed off. This was pre Covid. I priced out the materials and it would have been about $4,000 plus labor. 

I believe Home Depot floated a price expecting resistance and got none. My parents kept AOL for nine years after switching to Comcast. My dad traded in a paid off car that would have wholesaled for $14,000 on a leased car and accepted $4,500 because he “didn’t know how leases work” and was happy with the payments they quoted.  I can go on for hours how they’ve been taken by salespeople. I really wish I lived closer. 

I took my mother with when I was buying furniture for my first house and she couldn’t believe I asked for a discount off list price, free delivery and set up, etc. I saved almost $5,000 and thought I could have done better. When we walked out she was worried the salesperson was upset. 

How big is this kitchen where you can get cabinets + counters for $4k in materials? In our pretty modest sized kitchen in our old house, the countertops alone were like $4k installed and this was 10 years ago.

16 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

How big is this kitchen where you can get cabinets + counters for $4k in materials? In our pretty modest sized kitchen in our old house, the countertops alone were like $4k installed and this was 10 years ago.

I was wondering the same thing.  I have a pretty small kitchen and when I looked to get new cabinets plus countertops in and shopped around pretty good it was going to be somewhere between 15K. That was for quartz and modern shaker style cabinets.  But everything was pre built so not a custom job or anything along those lines.  

10 hours ago, StrangeSox said:

Small. Solid wood cabinets at the time were about $125. They have 14 cabinets plus about ten linear feet of countertop. Home Depot today has finished cabinets at about $150 now. (Not solid wood). A five foot section of quartz countertop at HomeDepot today is about $700. So $1,400 in countertops and another $1,600 in cabinets at today’s prices. 

Demo and reinstall would take two guys three days max. At $750 per day per employee another $4,500. $10,000 or so was a fair price. $18,000 was a joke. They expected to settle much lower but my parents are too timid to negotiate. 

On 9/23/2021 at 4:44 PM, Soxbadger said:

I’m late to this conversation, but was it Best Buy/Geek Squad employees that came out or some contracted people?  Asking because a friend of mine is a Geek Squad manager and I know they really try to give great customer service.  I know that doesn’t help your situation. 

On 9/23/2021 at 1:16 PM, southsider2k5 said:

I bought a Samsung stove and microwave at Home depot for the financing.  They are ok appliances.  Installers were great.

There is a place in the south suburbs that I go to Harry Miller (bought all new appliances in a  house we built years ago), I wanted the financing on these but it isn't worth it.

ABT is the way to go.