Travel MLB

southsider2k5

So since it the off season and we are all waiting for something to happen, how about a thread about your travels and hopes to travel in MLB?  Make it what you want!

-Where have you been, what would you recommend about the park, the town, the tourism, the stay etc?  What would you tell people NOT to do there?

-Where do you want to go?  Why do you want to go there? -What you do you want to see when you are there?

-What questions do you have about certain towns/parks/areas etc?

Hopefully this goes somewhere good!

1 minute ago, fathom said:

SkyDome and stay in the hotel.  Absolutely amazing experience

Will second this.  Granted haven't been there since 2000, and had plans to go back in 2020...

Get a baseball field facing room.  The view isn't great, but it is cool.  Niagara Falls is like a 45 minute drive from there and is every bit as awesome as it is talked about.  PIctures don't do it justice.  CN Tower is definitely worth a trip if you are into that kind of thing, and walking distance from the park.

Toronto is also the nicest big city I have ever been in.  People are super nice and friendly.  it is clean, it is modern, one of my favorite places in MLB

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Will second this.  Granted haven't been there since 2000, and had plans to go back in 2020...

Get a baseball field facing room.  The view isn't great, but it is cool.  Niagara Falls is like a 45 minute drive from there and is every bit as awesome as it is talked about.  PIctures don't do it justice.  CN Tower is definitely worth a trip if you are into that kind of thing, and walking distance from the park.

Toronto is also the nicest big city I have ever been in.  People are super nice and friendly.  it is clean, it is modern, one of my favorite places in MLB

Also the opposing players hang out in the lobby before going out for the night. Cool way to see Sox players up close.

This year my wife and I were supposed to do our first "baseball trip." We were going to see the Sox play in Cleveland, see Pittsburgh, Mets, Boston, and end it with the Sox playing the Yankees. Was like the perfect trip. Obv didn't happen. We're hoping to see MN this year.

I've been to both Chicagos, Milwaukee, and Detroit. That's it lol.

8 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

This year my wife and I were supposed to do our first "baseball trip." We were going to see the Sox play in Cleveland, see Pittsburgh, Mets, Boston, and end it with the Sox playing the Yankees. Was like the perfect trip. Obv didn't happen. We're hoping to see MN this year.

I've been to both Chicagos, Milwaukee, and Detroit. That's it lol.

Cleveland is a great baseball stadium.  The only thing that bothered me was that it is a pain in the ass to walk a full lap around the lower level.  Other than that, great sight lines, love walking it at the top of field level, small feel to the stadium.  Not a huge fan of the neighborhood or what there was to do around the park.

• Love 1

Where I've been:

Guaranteed Rate Field (Obviously)

Wrigley Field

Kauffman Stadium

Progressive Field

American Family Field (Miller Park)

Busch Stadium

Globe Life Park

HHH Metrodome

The goal is to eventually make it to every stadium. Had a nice little trip planned last year before SHTF. If I had to pick a top 3 it would probably be Busch, Globe Life, and Miller Park (no particular order). 

Totally recommend taking a trip out to St. Louis the next time the Sox are in town. Lots to do pre-game with restaurants, bars, and museum(s) right next to the park. 

Not necessarily relevant but some of the cool things that have happened on the road: 

-Met and got an autograph with Geddy Lee (Rush) at Kauffman Stadium. Turns out he's a HUGE baseball fan. 

-Met and sat a row behind Scotty Pods in Texas. Was also the game Nomar hit that monster bomb in 2019 (lol)

Hope shit gets back to normal soon so I can knock a few more off this year!

• Like 1

Other than the Rate: Wrigley, Progressive Field, Great American Ballpark, Miller Park.

Miller Park is nice, but the Great American Ballpark is awesome.  Huge concourses, lots of food and beverage choices, and nice views.  We had seats about 4 rows from the field just past first base.  One of the better times at a baseball game...topped off by a Scott Schebler walk off HR.  Progressive Field is okay.  Similar to Guarantee Rate Field, really.  And Wrigley...well.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

I agree. Went there on family trip and ended up meeting Mark Suppelsa and his son at the game. He's a really nice guy. Toronto is like an even nicer version of Chicago.

Teams I've seen in person:

Minnesota Twins new and old stadium. New stadium is beautiful and in cool spot to go night hopping afterwards.

Milwaukee Brewers. Decent stadium. Cool tailgating before the game. But stadium is basically in the Burbs.

Kansas City Royals. Cool stadium. But super hot during the peak of summer. Ballpark is also in a boring area. Basically in a massive parking lot with the Chiefs stadium. Not the greatest.

Saw the Washington Nationals. Can't remember much except walking back to our hotel after and walking past Congress. It was beautiful. Couldn't ever see it becoming what it was yesterday.

Saw both the Mets and Yankees. New Yankee Stadium. Mets are meh. We liked that we could see all the planes taking off from LaGuardia. Yankees were fun.

Saw the White Sox of course too. It was Grateful Dead night. :)

Oddly enough I haven't seen a game in Toronto. I live not far from there now, so hopefully I see them soon.

I was also in Arizona for a trip last January before COVID. There was obviously no baseball going on there, but I visited the field and had a beer at the TGIF inside the ballpark just to see it. I remember the Luis Gonzalez WS winning hit there very well.

I don't think I'm forgetting anything else.

A friend of mine used to manage a company in St. Louis, and somehow he had a connection with the head of security at current Busch Stadium.  The Sox were in town and we got to go down onto the field during their batting/fielding practice.  It was a very cool experience.  I got to meet Alexei and shake his hand, but I couldn’t tell if he understood anything I said to him.  There were other Sox fans down on the field who had different connections and when this old guy shook Alexei’s hand, he thanked him for the World Series.  I guess he didn’t watch many games in 2005.  

Several years ago before they were any good I went to a fan appreciation thing at the Devil Rays (at that time) stadium.  We got to go on the field, meet players, and go into the dugout and clubhouse of the visiting teams.  I had a picture of me on the bullpen phone in the dugout, but I haven’t seen it for years.   

Another time, way further back, I was going to old Busch Stadium with some family.  It was Cards/Cubs.  We were very early and could see Cub players as they we walking into the stadium.  A crowd surrounded Andre Dawson trying to get his autograph, he wouldn’t sign any, but while trying to get through the crowd, he accidentally knocked my cousin down, so he signed something for her.  She was the only person we saw him sign for.  

I went to a Dbacks game when the stadium  was the BOB or whatever.  I went with a Korean guy I knew and he was very excited because Byung-Hyun Kim was the closer and the time.  Kim ended up blowing the save in the 9th and AZ lost.  

Went to Fenway Park one time, it is was a nice spring day, but our seats ended up being tucked away in a corner of the park that never saw sunlight and I had to buy a $60 Red Sox sweatshirt.  

Made several trips  to Kauffman to see the Sox.  Before KC got good a few years ago, you could walk up on game day and get awesome seats at face value.  Sat right behind the plate with scouts with radar guns and the players’ girlfriends.   Best seats I’ve ever had for a baseball game.  

Comiskey, saw Bobby Thigpen break the single season save record.

New Comiskey/US Cellular, several times, but my buddies took me there for my bachelor party.  We took the Amtrak from St. Louis.  The train left at like 7 am or something.  There were quite a few heads turned when two of my friends came to our seats with their arms full of cans of beer.  There was 5 of us, but we drank the train out of beer on that trip and a few guys started into whatever wine they had. 

Other parks I’ve been to but don’t remember any stories: Wrigley, County Stadium, Turner Field.  

• Like 1

Seen games at:

• GRF - always will be home
  • Wrigley - don't hate as much as most / concourses suck, obviously, especially when crowded
  • Miller - awesome tailgating, feels indoor even when open
  • Target - amazing!  Roomiest concourses I've been on, lots of seating variety, fun area
  • Comerica - pretty good
  • GABP - generic and bland
  • Nats - felt like GABP
  • Busch - loved the outfield and Ballpark Village / both main concourses are terrible, can't see the field from LD, and UD is totally open (think pre-reno GRF)
  • Pac Bell/SBC/ATT/Oracle - sat in the upper deck, view is incredible!
  • Oakland Coliseum - absolute dump

Saw games at - RIP:

• Tiger - I was in 5th grade
  • Metrodome - obvious dump / saw football there too, which was a better experience
  • Milwaukee County - was falling apart

Been inside:

• Skydome (tour) - was set up for a football game
  • New Yankee (tour, then football) - It's a mall, so bland

Wishlist:

• Fenway - just gotta see it at some point 
  • Dodger - looks so cool how it's built into the basin and you park on the upper level
  • Chase - I was supposed to go to one of the games at the end of ST this year, so annoyed I missed out
  • Coors - I ate lunch outside of it in September, at a place with a rooftop in the outfield.  Very cool area, Old Western bar strip
  • Petco - looks beautiful
  • PNC - same
Edited by soxfan18

I've been to a lot of stadiums- Boston, Minnesota (old), San Diego (old), both Chicago's, Seattle, Tampa, Pittsburgh, DC, Anaheim, LA, Toronto, Oakland, Baltimore, KC, Detroit, St Louis (old), Cincinnati, and Milwaukee

I'd have to say Seattle, Boston, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee and LA were my favorites in no order

For sentimental reasons DC was awesome (PM for details)

I'd love to go to SF and see a series, with 1 game sitting in the upper deck for a view of the ocean. I was planning on Atlanta this summer for the ASG festivities but the idea that fans will be allowed appears less and less likely as days go by

Edited by soxfan49

I've been to 42 MLB stadiums, 15 which are gone and 27 current stadiums.

Top Five Current Stadiums: 1. Fenway Park; 2. Wrigley Field; 3. Dodgers Stadium; 4. Pittsburgh; 5, San Francisco

Top Five Gone But Not Forgotten: 1. Comiskey Park; 2. Tigers Stadium; 3. Yankee Stadium; 4. Milwaukee County Stadium; 5. Stade Olympique

Worst Five I've Attended: 42. Metrodome *; 41. Tampa Bay; 40. Miami *; 39. Veterans Stadium *; 38. Arizona (* = Gone) 

Worst Five "New" Stadiums: 1. Tampa; 2. Arizona; 3, Toronto; 4. Houston; 5. Philadelphia.

To Attend List: Atlanta, Miami and Texas.

Unique Circumstances:

• Cleveland Opening Day played in Milwaukee due to bad snow / weather over several days in Cleveland.
  • Miami home game vs. Montreal played at Comiskey Park II due to a hurricane.
  • National Home Game @ RFK Stadium (while new stadium was being constructed)
  • Final Home Games Ever Played : Comiskey Park; Milwaukee County Stadium; Riverfront Stadium; Tigers Stadium (and Final Steelers Game @ Three Rivers Stadium - Also the last NFL Game I attended or watched). Had tickets for the final game in Montreal but didn't make the trip (Montreal is my second favorite team).
  • No Hitter - White Sox no hit but won 4-0 over Andy Hawkins on July 1, 1990.
  • Nolan Ryan's 300th Win @ Milwaukee County Stadium
  • Fire 1