Article: If Owners don't want the best players, then what's the point?

Jack Parkman

5 hours ago, YourWhatHurts said:

It's a fundamental argument.

We always need government, because we always need a higher entity with the authority to make and keep law, complete work projects, etc.  One could always say we should have and deserve to have a government that works better, but you can't say we don't actually need a government.

OTOH nobody ever needs a pyramid cap to sit in an office above them, just basically collecting profits from the process and acting as an unnecessary "overseer" of the lower operation, shooting down this or that proposal without even needing to make a case to any other person as to why, or even state a reason beyond "because I want to."  There really is no special ability that the dorf has, for instance, that qualifies him to do any legitimate work inside in the Sox overall organization.  He's a stubborn old rich guy lawyer, and even when you find that it is necessary to have a lawyer do some kind of work for you, you don't bring in someone like him. 

In terms of what is actually necessary in baseball, probably the highest necessary baseball operations office is the GM.  It's debatable you even need a VP as the GM role could always be pared down in responsibility by adding extra executive positions.  And that position could be appointed by some member of government, elected by the people, or appointed or elected by some larger body which governs the league, the members of which are either elected officials or appointed by the government.

FC Barcelona is having the elections for the team’s president right now. I don’t know the exact details of the process but it sounds like anyone paying dues is allowed to vote. 

On 1/10/2021 at 7:22 AM, zisk said:

Babe Ruth was traded so an owner could fund a broadway play. There is nothing new under the sun.

It was shocking to the public that Babe Ruth made more than the President of the US.  Now the baseball minimum wage is $507.5 thousand.  Is it any wonder people can't afford to attend games with $10 beers, $4 hot dogs, and $25 parking?  I don't blame the owner or the player...I think the fan has to say no to buying the ticket.

47 minutes ago, poppysox said:

It was shocking to the public that Babe Ruth made more than the President of the US.  Now the baseball minimum wage is $507.5 thousand.  Is it any wonder people can't afford to attend games with $10 beers, $4 hot dogs, and $25 parking?  I don't blame the owner or the player...I think the fan has to say no to buying the ticket.

Did player salary increase more than regular people salary? 

Ruth only got like 80k in 1930 but that was when the average rent for a flat was like 50 dollars a month and the average salary was maybe 1000 bucks a year.

https://ny.curbed.com/2013/11/21/10172014/what-would-50-in-1940-rent-a-new-yorker-today

1 hour ago, Dominikk85 said:

Ruth only got like 80k in 1930 but that was when the average rent for a flat was like 50 dollars a month and the average salary was maybe 1000 bucks a year.

https://ny.curbed.com/2013/11/21/10172014/what-would-50-in-1940-rent-a-new-yorker-today

My point is that only one player (Babe Ruth)  made more than the President at that time.  Now the minimum wage for all major league players ($507,500) is above the POTUS salary of $400,000.

6 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

I don’t think the growth in salary is the right way to think about it. Absolutely yes players are getting paid more but they are in a business that has boomed and requires quality over quantity in labor. The more interesting question might be what percentage of their value are the players taking home? What percentage of league revenue ends up going to the players?

You know... if owners make poor trade decisions or poor roster moves in a dynasty fantasy baseball league we kick them out of it for lowering the value of the league and the competitive nature of it... but if these billionaire owners make poor moves on their real life roster they get rewarded for it. 

Just a joke. A group of 12 of us could run a fantasy league better than the MLB. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, poppysox said:

I don't really see how the compared salaries really means anything.  This is just a really bizarre way to say "I think prices at the ballpark are kind of high nowadays", but why compare to Ruth's era?  Really strange 

1 hour ago, iWiN4PreP said:

You know... if owners make poor trade decisions or poor roster moves in a dynasty fantasy baseball league we kick them out of it for lowering the value of the league and the competitive nature of it... but if these billionaire owners make poor moves on their real life roster they get rewarded for it. 

Just a joke. A group of 12 of us could run a fantasy league better than the MLB. 

Soccer leagues in Europe have Relegation, 3 Last Teams get relegated to AAA and top AAA teams get promoted to the majors.

But leagues are organized a bit differently there, as the league is not an independent entity but there is one big league system that spans recreational ball and pro ball and in theory an adult Sunday league team could make the highest league if they win their league 7 times in a row (which never happens in practice because higher level teams have more money and can afford better players).

That also means that relegation can be very threating to a soccer org as your team revenue is much lower in a lower league. Some teams never recovered from relegation and no play semi pro level.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Going back to the Eaton signing. Exactly what were the reasons for signing Eaton rather than Pederson, Bradley or another OF'er? Was it all $$$?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saufley said:

Going back to the Eaton signing. Exactly what were the reasons for signing Eaton rather than Pederson, Bradley or another OF'er? Was it all $$$?

This really wasn't the issue.  There are a lot of good baseball reasons for going with Eaton instead of Pederson, Bradley, etc.

The issue was really Springer vs. 2nd Tier FA, and the Sox chose 2nd Tier FA, and yes, all because of the $$$$

On 1/11/2021 at 10:14 AM, Dominikk85 said:

Yes that would be the modern equivalent of about 1.3 million dollars. Kirby Puckett was the first to make three million a year in 1992. That is the equivalent of about 5.6 million today.