Corey Kluber to Yanks per Passan

Orlando

Kluber is such a logical move for the Sox, and fit is so good for him, that I texted my son today my belief that the Sox will sign Kluber. 

Let's review the fit.

For the White Sox:

1. 2014-2018 one of the top pitchers in baseball, with 2 Cy Young awards, more than 200 IP each year.  So the potential upside is tremendous, even at 35 in April. 

2. Familiar with the AL Central, as all but 1 year in Cleveland.

3. He's not going to need a monster guaranteed deal to sign. Will likely have tons of incentives, and might potentially offer an option.  This may be the key ingredient in why the Sox would pursue Kluber over Bauer. 

4. Sox need a more reliable 4th starter given uncertainty about Kopech, whether Cease can make improvements, and the possibility that Lopez is next to worthless. They don't need a 4 year guy, however, as they expect their young starters -- Kopech, Crochet -- to develop into major roles. They need a 2-year bridge guy.

5. It he pitched at all close to what he did in 2017 or 2018, he would cement the Sox as AL Pennant favorites. 

6. Insurance in case they can't get Lance Lynn to extend for a year or two. 

7. Could help mentor young Sox pitchers. 

8. Would be 4th Sox starter who could get Cy Young votes next year. 

For Corey Kluber:

1. Chance to join young team locked in for the next 3-4 years that is ready to compete for the World Series.

2. Great bullpen in place to preserve his leads and turn them into wins.

3. AL Central, where he's super familiar. But an upgrade over Cleveland. 

4. No pressure to be a top-of-rotation ace. Could slot anywhere from 1-4 in the Sox rotation. Can help mentor young pitchers. 

5. Great catcher to pitch to. (One of the reasons Keuchel signed with us.) 

Make it happen JH!!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, VAfan said:

Kluber is such a logical move for the Sox, and fit is so good for him, that I texted my son today my belief that the Sox will sign Kluber. 

Let's review the fit.

For the White Sox:

1. 2014-2018 one of the top pitchers in baseball, with 2 Cy Young awards, more than 200 IP each year.  So the potential upside is tremendous, even at 35 in April. 

2. Familiar with the AL Central, as all but 1 year in Cleveland.

3. He's not going to need a monster guaranteed deal to sign. Will likely have tons of incentives, and might potentially offer an option.  This may be the key ingredient in why the Sox would pursue Kluber over Bauer. 

4. Sox need a more reliable 4th starter given uncertainty about Kopech, whether Cease can make improvements, and the possibility that Lopez is next to worthless. They don't need a 4 year guy, however, as they expect their young starters -- Kopech, Crochet -- to develop into major roles. They need a 2-year bridge guy.

5. It he pitched at all close to what he did in 2017 or 2018, he would cement the Sox as AL Pennant favorites. 

6. Insurance in case they can't get Lance Lynn to extend for a year or two. 

7. Could help mentor young Sox pitchers. 

8. Would be 4th Sox starter who could get Cy Young votes next year. 

For Corey Kluber:

1. Chance to join young team locked in for the next 3-4 years that is ready to compete for the World Series.

2. Great bullpen in place to preserve his leads and turn them into wins.

3. AL Central, where he's super familiar. But an upgrade over Cleveland. 

4. No pressure to be a top-of-rotation ace. Could slot anywhere from 1-4 in the Sox rotation. Can help mentor young pitchers. 

5. Great catcher to pitch to. (One of the reasons Keuchel signed with us.) 

Make it happen JH!!

Well thought through!

15 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I’m with you. I think he’s a perfect fit for our situation right now. High ceiling, but if he sucks/gets injured, hopefully Kopech is ready to take his spot in the rotation. 

No reason for us to not be all over this. We can save our prospects and let these guys battle it out. If Cease and or Kluber suck we can revisit a trade next year or sign someone else. If we extend Lynn then we have Gio, DK, and him for at least two more years. 

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Projections are pointless for guys coming off of injuries,  but I do hope this happens. 

Good point....how quickly he can get back to past performance is the wildcard with TJS. Theres no way for the systems to know that. If they are going all in for a WS I would think they would prefer more of a sure thing. On the other hand, at least this option won't force us to gut half the farm like a trade prolly would. 

1 hour ago, joesaiditstrue said:

what's the long term prognosis on an injury like this, read it was a grade 2 shoulder tear?  will that severely hinder his ability to regain his former ability?

No, its not in a primary stabilizing muscle.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I don’t think so. They seem to be hinting that Richards is more likely. 

My take is that Richards is a fall back option for the Sox at around $8 million on a one year deal. Could start or be used out of the pen. 

Sox are interested in Kluber, but so is at least 75% of the league. Competition for him will be stiff, as even rebuilding clubs would value him as a deadline trade asset if healthy. 

I think they are also exploring trade possibilities, although I suspect they keep their trade chips for a deadline deal and prefer the FA route. 

Paxton and Quintana could be of interest as well. 

1 hour ago, Wisebri224 said:

If it's what it takes, give him 10 and incentives.  Look at the rest of the FA pool besides Bauer.  If we aren't making a trade, value side with the most upside this is it!

JR is saying "thats a great idea about the 10m and incentives guys, but what's the plan if he hits the incentives? Where's the money coming from cause it ain't coming from my pocket"

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

JR is saying "thats a great idea about the 10m and incentives guys, but what's the plan if he hits the incentives? Where's the money coming from cause it ain't coming from my pocket"

But if he hits those incentives chances are this team will be must see TV.