Corey Kluber to Yanks per Passan

Orlando

15 hours ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Kluber is honestly my pipe dream.  Seems to be the PERFECT guy to bring in.  Crazy high ceiling is what I'd prefer. I also assume is floor is fine, assuming health (big Q)

Kluber is intriguing if the price is right.  This is where good old fashion scouting comes in.

14 hours ago, fathom said:

He was above that prior 

Then it would depend on where he is for training and how far below his previous velocity it was. If this is his beginning of spring training then the velocity is expected to be lower than his max. They will probably be more concerned with command and quality of breaking pitches knowing he will build strength towards the season.

14 hours ago, ptatc said:

It's an odd injury as it purpose is to help the latissimus does. I refer to it as the "little lat". It really does do much on its own. The prognosis for a pitcher is pretty good. He really should have much functional issues only strength. It will be interesting to see his velocity. That will be the determining factor. 

How similar was this to Peavy's lat issues, and does this tend to have a cascading effect? Could it limit his innings, outings?

Thanks in advance, your replies on these types of questions are some of the best content on this site.

2 hours ago, shakes said:

How similar was this to Peavy's lat issues, and does this tend to have a cascading effect? Could it limit his innings, outings?

Thanks in advance, your replies on these types of questions are some of the best content on this site.

Its very different. The lat is the primary internal rotator of the shoulder thus provides most of the velocity. The teres major is a much smaller muscle and provides minimal power but more stabilization. It should have little impact on his throwing but much of what the muscle really does is unknown other than in support of the lat. 

• Like 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Considering his career average is 92.7. and was in the mid 91's the last two years, sounds like he is in pretty good shape.

Yep. Maybe the isolated rehab put him ahead of schedule.

On a side note part of the reason his status is up in the air was that this is a rare injury. I've never seen an isolated teres major tear and I've been doing this for over 30 years. There are new injuries popping up recently and it's interesting. The Peavy lat avulsion was something I hadn't seen in pitchers, only in javelin and football QBs.

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

I would prefer the Sox go down this route than instead of trading assets for a SP. Makes more sense. However, it sounds like there is going to be some competition for him.

Agreed but it all depends on the price, more length than dollars.

Edited by ptatc

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

There are new injuries popping up recently and it's interesting. The Peavy lat avulsion was something I hadn't seen in pitchers, only in javelin and football QBs.

It was such a unique injury and surgery. The avatar I have is Peavy himself and the actual surgery they're performing on him. It's one of my favorite photos to date.

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

It was such a unique injury and surgery. The avatar I have is Peavy himself and the actual surgery they're performing on him. It's one of my favorite photos to date.

The surgery itself was fairly straight forward. It was a true avulsion where the tendon came off the bone. The surgeon just had to find the tendon, thread it through the bicepital groove and attach it to where it came off. The how's, why's and recovery were the crazy part.

88-90 in January, with a legit gun, and legal ball is impressive.

We have become desensitized to velo when every 19 year old is touching mid 90s on twitter... catch is they are doing it with a light ball and often times a huge sample size where even a rapsodo or gun will spit out an inaccurate reading. 

Edited by GREEDY
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

88-90 in January, with a legit gun, and legal ball is impressive.

We have become desensitized to velo when every 19 year old is touching mid 90s on twitter... catch is they are doing it with a light ball and often times a huge sample size where even a rapsodo or gun will spit out an inaccurate reading. 

Also a lot of these radar readings from the 19 year old is some dude doing a run and gun into a net.  

1 hour ago, tray said:

Assuming arguendo that Bauer is not signed by the Sox,  then why not wait until Spring Training to see what the potential 3,4,5 pitchers on our roster have?

Maybe our staff does not need another back of rotation question mark.

Because all of the pitchers we'd want may be gone. Bring in a guy now and let the cards play out as they may. 

2 hours ago, tray said:

Assuming arguendo that Bauer is not signed by the Sox,  then why not wait until Spring Training to see what the potential 3,4,5 pitchers on our roster have?

Maybe our staff does not need another back of rotation question mark.

They have 2 spots open (before injuries). 0% chance Kopech starts the year in the majors, Lopez I personally think is ticketed for the pen (use his last option and let him work in a relief role at AAA). Cease has a spot locked down. They for sure need to add one more reliable arm.

47 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

They have 2 spots open (before injuries). 0% chance Kopech starts the year in the majors, Lopez I personally think is ticketed for the pen (use his last option and let him work in a relief role at AAA). Cease has a spot locked down. They for sure need to add one more reliable arm.

2? Giolito, Keuchal, Lynn and Cease. Kopech as you stated will start in the minors but will come up eventually. That leaves 1 spot for half a season as it currently stands. They need a pitcher who can fill the #5 spot and possibly go to the pen later depending on the performance of Kopech and Cease..

Now, the want may be to get a TOR pitcher and push everyone down a notch and possibly not see Kopech this year