Corey Kluber to Yanks per Passan

Orlando

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

If Kluber really has that much interest, I bet he gets into at least the 1 year $10 million range for a base.  Maybe a performance based option year at a higher salary?

I always thought this.  1 year for 12-15 seems right.. Minor just got 11.

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

3 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

I'm not sure we'd be able to make Kluber work. With Kopech and Cease on the roster, he may not want to risk losing playing time halfway into the season while trying to get another big contract. 

If he’s pitching well, then he won’t lose playing time. If he’s not pitching well, then he wouldn’t be getting a big contract anyway. 

Edited by SoxBlanco
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I'm not sure we'd be able to make Kluber work. With Kopech and Cease on the roster, he may not want to risk losing playing time halfway into the season while trying to get another big contract. 

If he's pitching well enough, he's not in danger of losing his spot. If Cease is pitching well, Kopech will just have to pitch in the minors until there is an injury.

Edited by manbearpuig

3 hours ago, VAfan said:

Corey Kluber would be the prototypical White Sox move. Relatively low cost, high upside pitcher who would likely take an incentive laden deal. 

I have no idea about his health, but he was lights out from 2014-18, with more than 200 IP each year, 2 Cy Young awards, etc. 

In Chicago, he doesn't have to be a top-of-rotation guy, but if he regained his form, he could be. He's a good mentor for Chicago's young pitchers. 

Plus, the White Sox would seem to have what one might expect Kluber to want - the opportunity to win a World Series that so far has eluded him. 

I'd be all-in for whatever it would take to sign him.  

I don't think there is any way Hahn doesn't make an offer.

47 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

If he's pitching well enough, he's not in danger of losing his spot. If Cease is pitching well, Kopech will just have to pitch in the minors until there is an injury.

48 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I’d he’s pitching well, then he won’t lose playing time. If he’s not pitching well, then he wouldn’t be getting a big contract anyway. 

But does our front office want to hold Kopech down all year? It may work, but if Kluber is getting offers to be a certainty top 4 pitcher, we may not win the race. I can see the Yankees, Astros, and Rays fighting it out. 

Two taeks:

If I was negotiating a Kluber deal I'd REALLY want a team option for year 2 and/or 3.  Similar to what Eaton got.  Even if it meant overpaying by a few million for year one or the buyout. 

If he goes full Klubot this year he is definitely getting 2/40 or 3/55 this time next  year.  And if you are confident enough to gamble on him this year at 1/10 or something, what is a couple million in a buyout for the right to pay him 1/12 in 2021?

Also, if he gets a penny more than 1/10 he makes Charlie Morton at 1/15 seem relatively reasonable correct?

7 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

But does our front office want to hold Kopech down all year? It may work, but if Kluber is getting offers to be a certainty top 4 pitcher, we may not win the race. I can see the Yankees, Astros, and Rays fighting it out. 

It's not just about Kopech vs. Kluber.  If Cease is struggling, then Kopech can replace him.  If somebody gets hurt, Kopech can be a replacement.

If Kopech has to stay down all year because all five of our starters stay healthy and pitch well, then we'll be in the best team in the AL, and it won't even be close.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

It's not just about Kopech vs. Kluber.  If Cease is struggling, then Kopech can replace him.  If somebody gets hurt, Kopech can be a replacement.

If Kopech has to stay down all year because all five of our starters stay healthy and pitch well, then we'll be in the best team in the AL, and it won't even be close.

This 100% I think the Sox are beyond being worried to block guys and just want to win

28 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

What happens to cease then? I don't think they are ready to give up on him and that's what will happen if they "replace" him. 

This is where I have an issue with the "all in" comments. The Sox are still building a team for the future as well with talented players. They aren't going to sacrifice Cease's development just because he is struggling. He is too talented to discard.

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

What happens to cease then? I don't think they are ready to give up on him and that's what will happen if they "replace" him. 

This is where I have an issue with the "all in" comments. The Sox are still building a team for the future as well with talented players. They aren't going to sacrifice Cease's development just because he is struggling. He is too talented to discard.

Let him go to the minors to work on some tweaks before getting called back up for a spot start/September call up.

34 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Kopech will then be on an innings limit to bring him up september for the pen and spot starts 100%. Not a bad plan...it will all work itself out. 

Just now, manbearpuig said:

Let him go to the minors to work on some tweaks before getting called back up for a spot start/September call up.

with only 26 starts and 150 innings in the MLB, I don't think they will do that. He needs to learn how to get MLB hitters out. He can't learn that in the minors. He can get those hitters out.

1 hour ago, flavum said:

Not an original thought, but Kluber and Boston match up well.

Boston is not ready to contend. I don't see why Kluber would want to go there unless he just wants innings to regain his value. At his age, he shouldn't be playing for his next contract, he should be trying to win the WS.

With the Yankees, he'd be under so much more pressure than he would in Chicago. Only Cole is for sure better in NY. In Chicago, he could be 4th.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

The thing about starting pitchers, is someone usually gets hurt. You really need 7 or more solid starters to make it through a season.  

If you sign Kluber and he's great, Cease still has the inside track to be the #5 guy, with Kopech the one who has to work his way back. If Katz makes Cease into a monster, great!!  The Sox will find a place for him. 

• Like 1