Corey Kluber to Yanks per Passan

Orlando

I don't understand all this talk about a preference for "the East Coast."  Like, he prefers the East Coast as a geographic region?  Not any particular team?  By the way, the guy's from Alabama as I understand it.

Anyway, I know we were (sort of) burned when Wheeler supposedly turned down some nominal additional sum to sign elsewhere because of his wife's geographic preference.  But I'm still of the strong belief that players rarely if ever leave *significant* money on the table.  And if he's looking at a 1 year deal with incentives worth like 10 mil or so, a million or two is significant money.  It's one thing to toy with a million or two on the top end of a nine-figure deal -- that's the kind of difference that can be wiped out with local tax differences.  But it's hard to believe he'd turn down a $10 million offer for an $8 million offer.  All of which is to say the Sox should be able to get this done within budget if it's a priority.

3 hours ago, DH in the NL said:

Shouldn’t Bauer be coming out with a video on why Kluber is a bad idea? He can’t be that happy with all the Kluber love right now.

Nah if Bauer says anything he will praise him just like he did with Lindor and Carrasco. Lindor got in his face about the ball thrown over the CF fence incident and Bauer praised him for being a leader.

1 hour ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

I don't understand all this talk about a preference for "the East Coast."  Like, he prefers the East Coast as a geographic region?  Not any particular team?  By the way, the guy's from Alabama as I understand it.

Anyway, I know we were (sort of) burned when Wheeler supposedly turned down some nominal additional sum to sign elsewhere because of his wife's geographic preference.  But I'm still of the strong belief that players rarely if ever leave *significant* money on the table.  And if he's looking at a 1 year deal with incentives worth like 10 mil or so, a million or two is significant money.  It's one thing to toy with a million or two on the top end of a nine-figure deal -- that's the kind of difference that can be wiped out with local tax differences.  But it's hard to believe he'd turn down a $10 million offer for an $8 million offer.  All of which is to say the Sox should be able to get this done within budget if it's a priority.

Kluber currently lives in Winchester, Massachusetts. East coast makes a ton of sense to be closer to his family. If the Sox are serious, it's going to be very tough for them to convert with the Yankees involved. They'll most likely need to outbid their competition, and Kluber is really going to have to have a desire to play in Chicago. Yankees also have more glaring holes in the rotation, and therefore a more guaranteed starter role. 

21 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Kluber currently lives in Winchester, Massachusetts. East coast makes a ton of sense to be closer to his family. If the Sox are serious, it's going to be very tough for them to convert with the Yankees involved. They'll most likely need to outbid their competition, and Kluber is really going to have to have a desire to play in Chicago. Yankees also have more glaring holes in the rotation, and therefore a more guaranteed starter role. 

I do feel like the Yankees could be outbid pretty easily though. They have so many holes to fill and only ~20 million left. They won’t touch the luxury tax and need multiple starters. I think a team like the Sox could take on a few million and win.

2 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

It was his girlfriend. 

21 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I do feel like the Yankees could be outbid pretty easily though. They have so many holes to fill and only ~20 million left. They won’t touch the luxury tax and need multiple starters. I think a team like the Sox could take on a few million and win.

It only took 20 minutes for this post to age poorly. That might be a new record.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

It only took 20 minutes for this post to age poorly. That might be a new record.

There will always be Tim Anderson at catcher.

I know that no real world news aged it, but ... It was aged the second it appeared on Soxtalk.

On 1/13/2021 at 11:52 AM, bmags said:

a few years ago I think kluber would still make a 1 yr 16 mill deal (a la hamels) as he is younger and people will feel confident in the stuff.

It's certainly going to be over $10 i imagine.

I is good