Corey Kluber to Yanks per Passan

Orlando

3 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

So obviously, we don't know the Sox interest in him after the showcase or the ultimate budget, but this is where the extra ~$4m overpay on Adam Eaton very well might have hurt.

I have a hard time believing in this case that yankees wouldn’t win a bid.

2 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

In other news, this basically guarantees that Tanaka isn't coming back. Would be a fantastic pickup for either the White Sox or the Golden Eagles, so I'm all for it.

I didn’t even think of that, but replacing Tanaka with Kluber makes the Yankees worse so this signing isn’t all bad. 

• Like 1

Just now, bmags said:

I have a hard time believing in this case that yankees wouldn’t win a bid.

Well the Yankees are up against the luxury tax wall and have decreed they will be under it this year, so it's safe to say they were on SOME kind of budget for this rotation spot. If they had been bid up to $13-15mm I'd be surprised if they'd have gone there with Tanaka still out there and motivated to stay.

Unless they just like Kluber a lot more at this point, which is possible. But I'm guessing Tanaka is asking for 2/$30mm or something and this was a cheaper alternative.

4 minutes ago, champagne030 said:

Eric Cressey was in charge of his rehab and ran the workout the other day.  He also has a "complex" in MA, where Kluber calls home.  

Cressey is also an employee of the Yankees.  MLB Hot Stove reported all this the other day and the writing was on the wall.

He's good.  A PT friend if mine worked on his training programs and books with him.

11 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

So obviously, we don't know the Sox interest in him after the showcase or the ultimate budget, but this is where the extra ~$4m overpay on Adam Eaton very well might have hurt.

I’m still shocked Adam he got an $7M salary and $8M guaranteed, but I still think $5M would be about right for him.  So an overpay, but not a $4M overpay necessarily.

22 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

50% chance that he is super mediocre this season. I was about sox signing him, but this could blow up for the yankees also. Beauty of sox signing him was Kopech in the wings. What do yankees have?

The Sox have limited bullets to spend.  Need to be sure those bullets are used on guys who are 100% ready to contribute.  A 30 pitch showcase by Klubber is a very risky proposition. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m still shocked Adam he got an $7M salary and $8M guaranteed, but I still think $5M would be about right for him.  So an overpay, but not a $4M overpay necessarily.

I would consider $3mm and "~$4mm" to be pretty much the same thing in this context.

EDIT: Like, I assume RH can ask JR for an extra million bucks if he needs it somewhere.

Edited by Eminor3rd

7 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

The Sox have limited bullets to spend.  Need to be sure those bullets are used on guys who are 100% ready to contribute.  A 30 pitch showcase by Klubber is a very risky proposition. 

I'm not a doctor, but I disagree. I think Kluber will be a stud for the Yankees, better than Tanaka. It gives them a second potential ace. It's possible Kluber has fallen off, but for 5 years running before then he was always a Cy Young contender, winning twice. Kluber at his best was better than any pitcher we have. He could have made the Sox staff the best in baseball. 

But it also looks like the Yanks had the inside track and New York keeps him closer to home. I think he's a bargain at $11M. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

That’s a big if.

Yeah, but this is the Yankees we are talking about. The question with them Is...what do things look like at the end? They know lack of healthy starting pitching has hurt the last couple years, and additional pitchers are affordable if they want to go for them.