Foodies: Sox/Giolito discussing an extension?????

Jack Parkman

40 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Gio is in line for a $200M+ contract if he reaches free agency. Those two FA years are going to have to be north of 30M. 

I don't see Jerry doing that......We should all enjoy him while he's here, and if Kopech emerges, as much as I hate to say it....consider moving him vs letting him walk for nothing. 

Agreed.  I still say this window is 2021-23.  When the core players get too expensive, he will tell RH to disassemble.  I put all of my eggs in the basket for the next three years and try to win.  This pipedream that somehow we are going to be able to crank out our own starting 5 consistently replacing parts and losing nothing (because we certainly aren't going to spend for it) isn't reality.  Lynn possibly gone after this year, Keuchel the next year, then probably Gio.  Go get one more pitcher now and try to win 1-2 immediately.

4 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

Agreed.  I still say this window is 2021-23.  When the core players get too expensive, he will tell RH to disassemble.  I put all of my eggs in the basket for the next three years and try to win.  This pipedream that somehow we are going to be able to crank out our own starting 5 consistently replacing parts and losing nothing (because we certainly aren't going to spend for it) isn't reality.  Lynn possibly gone after this year, Keuchel the next year, then probably Gio.  Go get one more pitcher now and try to win 1-2 immediately.

It's too early to say for sure. I think you have to see how Kopech/Crochet/Kelley/Vera/Thompson/Dalquist do for a couple years.....then evaluate if you want to do a "last dance" in 2023. 

Complete balancing act right now though. This is why I wish they'd have used Dunning in a larger package for someone with more control than Lynn. This is teetering on being A KC like 3 year window or something much more. We don't know yet. 

It fucking blows that we're in Chicago and comparing our window to that of the fucking Royals. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

This is exactly how I see it also. I'd love to be wrong and it's truly sad that the window is widest during a pandemic and labor strife but that's the reality of it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's too early to say for sure. I think you have to see how Kopech/Crochet/Kelley/Vera/Thompson/Dalquist do for a couple years.....then evaluate if you want to do a "last dance" in 2023

At that point though, if you haven't won already, your payroll is going to be topping $180 million and there won't be that offseason where you can go spend.  If there's a hole at SP at that point, you are toast.  We don't draft like the Rays, we don't spend like the Dodgers or Padres.  I soooo hope I'm wrong, but there will never be a better time to win than these next 2 years.  Winning a WS is tough, acting like we are going to be there every year til 2026 is a pipedream.  Jerry won't spend that long:)

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

This is exactly how I see it also. I'd love to be wrong and it's truly sad that the window is widest during a pandemic and labor strife but that's the reality of it.

It's a very White Sox thing....just when you think things are going great, disaster is right around the corner. 

1 minute ago, Wisebri224 said:

At that point though, if you haven't won already, your payroll is going to be topping $180 million and there won't be that offseason where you can go spend.  If there's a hole at SP at that point, you are toast.  We don't draft like the Rays, we don't spend like the Dodgers or Padres.  I soooo hope I'm wrong, but there will never be a better time to win than these next 2 years.  Winning a WS is tough, acting like we are going to be there every year til 2026 is a pipedream.  Jerry won't spend that long:)

Will there even be a 2022 season? The owners and MLBPA are on opposite sides of the observable universe. They're as far apart as can be. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

It's a very White Sox thing....just when you think things are going great, disaster is right around the corner. 

It's not a disaster if they win 1-2 in the next 3 years then have to reassemble or break down and start up again.  It's baseball outside of LA and Tampa.  The disaster is that we don't have an owner that will ride it out if it costs him $$$

54 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Gio is in line for a $200M+ contract if he reaches free agency. Those two FA years are going to have to be north of 30M. 

I don't see Jerry doing that......We should all enjoy him while he's here, and if Kopech emerges, as much as I hate to say it....consider moving him vs letting him walk for nothing. 

They won't be trading Lucas Giolito over the next 3 years. People need to relax. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Relax folks. Our FO knew the financial and talent situation last year. They will make sure this window is 5 years. If Kopech and Cease/Crochet develop we have a 1 and 2. Worst case you trade Gio a year early for a Sale like package for a top pitching prospect. No one wants this to happen but it is what it is. 

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They won't be trading Lucas Giolito over the next 3 years. People need to relax. 

This.  its 3 YEARS down the road.  They aren't about to shoot themselves in the foot in 21 and 22 when they have designs on winning. 

Also, it is no surprise he is looking for something closer to market value than some of the extremely discounted deals that others have signed.  You are going to have to meet him in the middle to have a chance at this.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Relax folks. Our FO knew the financial and talent situation last year. They will make sure this window is 5 years. If Kopech and Cease/Crochet develop we have a 1 and 2. Worst case you trade Gio a year early for a Sale like package for a top pitching prospect. No one wants this to happen but it is what it is. 

You won;t get a Sale package for one year of Gio when Boston got Sale for 3.  If you have to go that way, though as you said, it is what it is

It's not a disaster if they win 1-2 in the next 3 years then have to reassemble or break down and start up again.  It's baseball outside of LA and Tampa.  The disaster is that we don't have an owner that will ride it out if it costs him $$$

Yup . It's just baseball . I wouldn't call it a White Sox thing per se. The Royals, Nationals,Indians all had relatively short windows recently. Some won it all some didn't. The Astro's and Cubs windows were a little longer and they won it but didn't their Championships come by the 3rd year of their competitive windows ? Dodgers have had a wide open open for a lot of years and finally won it but they are like a machine in scouting , player development and high payroll. Yankees and Red Sox are the same way in the AL . Yanks are still searching for their title while the Red Sox got 3 of them. The Giant's held their window open a while and also got 3  championships.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This.  its 3 YEARS down the road.  They aren't about to shoot themselves in the foot in 21 and 22 when they have designs on winning. 

Also, it is no surprise he is looking for something closer to market value than some of the extremely discounted deals that others have signed.  You are going to have to meet him in the middle to have a chance at this.

Agreed, but we also can't be naive enough to think that when Jerry won't discuss an extension due to CoVid and is giving out FA budgets in winning time that those days could come in 2022 or 2023.  I still say they are going for it in 2021-23, I just won't look beyond then acting like this is going to be a decade long dynasty:)

Agreed, but we also can't be naive enough to think that when Jerry won't discuss an extension due to CoVid and is giving out FA budgets in winning time that those days could come in 2022 or 2023.  I still say they are going for it in 2021-23, I just won't look beyond then acting like this is going to be a decade long dynasty:)

I am sure they have talked, he is probably just trying to use COVID as a wedge to keep the price down.  Maybe once all of this clears up, he is going to be willing to pick up the top number a bit.

9 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

You won;t get a Sale package for one year of Gio when Boston got Sale for 3.  If you have to go that way, though as you said, it is what it is

To clarify, I meant getting a top pitcher in return, without the Moncada. I think a desperate team would definitely bite IF it came to that. 

• Like 1

I think if we can get 2 good SPs out of the young group (including Kopech and Cease as well as the younger group that isn't here yet) by 2023, there will be basically no money on the books for SP in 2024 (assuming Keuchels option isn't triggered) so even if Giolito is priced out of our range we could probably afford 1 good FA SP plus one ok SP at that point. Obviously no one can really have 5 good SPs but 3 good ones and 1 OK/middling SP is still prolly good enough to keep the window going.

11 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

Hahn and the official White Sox twitter account mentioned multiple championships. That is the standard they will be held to, regardless of how long the window is open. 

7 minutes ago, macsandz said:

Wrong. Just wrong again. 

Al's is so full of shit. He literally would have to have a pulse on multiple GMs and multiple agents or players to get all the BS information he spits out.

Edited by ron883
  • Fire 2

4 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Al's is so full of shit. He literally would have to have a pulse on multiple GMs and multiple agents or players to get all the BS information he spits out.

If you step back and measure what these dudes "share" they'd lose any legit source in less than a second.  

• Fire 1