Foodies: Sox/Giolito discussing an extension?????

Jack Parkman

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The Sox probably have one of the least expensive pitching staffs in baseball among the contenders. That's just a guess even after the signing of Hendriks unless you count the Marlins as a contender. They are rolling the dice on the youngsters and Katz. Lynn is highly unlikely to be extended and Keuchel still has 2 or 3 years on his contract. Keuchel and Lynn are just around to have good pitchers to still contend and allow  Cease, Kopech etc. to develop.

The plan has a higher degree of failure than success built into it which is why so many want Lynn extended . Sox won't do it. QO possible if Keuchel regresses too much and Lynn has a good year. But it seems to me the Sox will be searching for more starting pitching year after year unless Cease and Kopech really step it up to a high degree very soon.

It's pretty doubtful the Sox raise payroll much next year with attendance still a factor and "lost revenue of $100M per team" for 2020 and perhaps, if lucky ,a loss of half that this year.

Lynn has already rejected a qualifying offer so the White Sox can’t offer him one. I would be very surprised if he doesn't test the open market again.

6 minutes ago, credezcrew24 said:

Lynn has already rejected a qualifying offer so the White Sox can’t offer him one. I would be very surprised if he doesn't test the open market again.

Thanks, I was unsure whether a player can only get one in his career and so would I be very surprised.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

4 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

The Sox probably have one of the least expensive pitching staffs in baseball among the contenders. That's just a guess even after the signing of Hendriks unless you count the Marlins as a contender. They are rolling the dice on the youngsters and Katz. Lynn is highly unlikely to be extended and Keuchel still has 2 or 3 years on his contract. Keuchel and Lynn are just around to have good pitchers to still contend and allow  Cease, Kopech etc. to develop.

The plan has a higher degree of failure than success built into it which is why so many want Lynn extended . Sox won't do it. QO possible if Keuchel regresses too much and Lynn has a good year. But it seems to me the Sox will be searching for more starting pitching year after year unless Cease and Kopech really step it up to a high degree very soon.

It's pretty doubtful the Sox raise payroll much next year with attendance still a factor and "lost revenue of $100M per team" for 2020 and perhaps, if lucky ,a loss of half that this year.

It’s going to be so uniquely White Sox if the fate of these COVID-19 era teams is not unlike 1994 team.

That the window never is fully opened because of the loss of “unprecedented financial flexibility.”

Of course, if they wanted to give Giolito a fair market value extension, they still could do so.  It’s just that now they have a convenient excuse to hide behind.

It’s kind of hard to imagine what happens to the franchise if they don’t at least get through one round of the playoffs.  Every time the organization is presented an opportunity to make up some ground against the Cubs...

Both the  early 80s and early/mid 90s editions had a lot of young quality starting pitchers, and JR wouldn't/didn't extend any of those guys.

He's relented the last 15 years with Sale, Q, MB and Danks so hopefully they can get Giolito done.

So far, to me, he's the best player in this rebuild; he's the 2nd (or perhaps 3rd)  best young starter of this century and top 5 young starter  in JR's 40+ years of ownership.

Edited by GreenSox

7 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Neither one is true or totally true. You don't trade a Dunning for just anyone. He could turn out to be something but he was the oldest of the group of pitching prospects .

With Lynn it had nothing to do with scouting. The Rangers got what they could for him due to pending Free Agency. They wait and maybe he regresses and isn't worth Dunning. No need to take that chance.

Exactly.  And if the Sox wait and Dunning regresses even a tiny bit you can’t trade him for a Lynn-type.  It was a risk but I think that the Sox might have seen this as selling high on Dunning.