Sox sign Hendriks: 3/$39M - 4th year optional with $15M buyout

EvilJester99

6 minutes ago, Orlando said:

People will still think that Al’s and Portillos are fake. They were nails on this stuff. I’ll keep letting you believe posters from ages ago who pop up with some cryptic stuff and are wrong most of the time. I know who I’ll follow for inside info. Haven’t been wrong yet 🤷‍♂ 

Portillos was spot on with the AAV and years. One or both have sources.

Edited by maloney.adam

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

I think it's because the 4th year is an option yet he's still guaranteed 54 million that technically makes this a $18 million AAV deal. 

Is it basically an AAV of either $18M or $13.5, depending on whether the option is picked up?  Is that how AAV is calculated in a deal like this?

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Is it basically an AAV of either $18M or $13.5, depending on whether the option is picked up?  Is that how AAV is calculated in a deal like this?

I'd imagine AAV is guaranteed dollars/guaranteed years. In which case, it's 54/3 for this. 

Win-win for both sides honestly. Hendriks and his agent gets to claim that he's the highest paid reliever and the White Sox get financial flexibility. 

Edited by chw42

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Sox sign Hendriks: 3/$39M - 4th year optional with $15M buyout
  • Chisoxfn pinned this topic
3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I'd imagine AAV is guaranteed dollars/guaranteed years. In which case, it's 54/3 for this. 

Win-win for both sides honestly. Hendriks and his agent gets to claim that he's the highest paid reliever and the White Sox get financial flexibility. 

Then what would be the hit if they pick up the option? I gotta think it's 54/4.

Edited by manbearpuig

Just now, Eminor3rd said:

This should essentially be seen as 4/54 but if he’s so bad aftert third year that the Sox want to cut him and eat the contract, they get to defer the money to make it hurt less. 

I like it, signals JR is ready to roll as long as the window is open, even if it means rolling over the roster that year at the expense of some cash.

2 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I like it, signals JR is ready to roll as long as the window is open, even if it means rolling over the roster that year at the expense of some cash.

It’s the first time the FO has successfully found a creative way to win a hotly contested free agent despite JR miserly ways. They should definitely be commended, and I hope it a a sign of good things to come, because we need it to be. 

2 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

H

I'm honestly disappointed because I feel Hendriks wasn't a big need and the money needs to be spent more wisely.

And yet, can't help but have some excitement that we signed a big name.

It's the best statistical closer in the game. Smile and be happy for once. Good lord. It's not your fucking money

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

For luxury tax, its just a straight 4/54 (so $14 mill AAV a season).

You sure?  How would a waived player count against luxury tax?  This is kind of an unprecedented deal to say so definitively that this is the way it would work.   

Not that we're going to reach LT, but still interesting to understand.

• Like 1

I will say I am lukewarm on this move. I just don't like the use of salary resources on a closer. I like Liam and he makes the team better, I jus think if the Sox are as payroll limited as I assume they will be, there were probably better uses of the funds, however, I hope Liam crushes it for next 4 years and also hope I'm wrong and JR goes deeper in his pockets than I expect over next handful of years.  

• Like 1

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

I will say I am lukewarm on this move. I just don't like the use of salary resources on a closer. I like Liam and he makes the team better, I jus think if the Sox are as payroll limited as I assume they will be, there were probably better uses of the funds, however, I hope Liam crushes it for next 4 years and also hope I'm wrong and JR goes deeper in his pockets than I expect over next handful of years.  

Really what tells me how good this move was is when they show us what starters they bring in.

• Love 1
  • Fire 1

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

Where would you like them to allocate those resources? Honest question. 

• Tony unpinned this topic