Sox sign Hendriks: 3/$39M - 4th year optional with $15M buyout

EvilJester99

5 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Me - I had to seperate this into a new thread. Didn't need 80 pages of historical garbage. Lets get the big news in its own thread.  

I was just joking when I said "botched". Have a good night and keep up the good work Jason!

Edited by ron883

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Really what tells me how good this move was is when they show us what starters they bring in.

They brought in lance lynn. Does that not make you happy? They have a new pitching coach using analytics and science and he is jazzed about Cease. They have Kopech finally ready. I swear sometimes this page. They just signed the best closer in the game. The bullpen is stacked. They actually spent money. 

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

17 minutes ago, Saufley said:

OK Portillos. What's next?

Lol. If I were him I would tell you man. If I were to guess though I would say either La Stella or Brad Miller is next. Than a SP. Either Kluber or Quintana or a trade for Marco Gonzales. We may make an attempt at Bauer but signing him is wishful thinking. I think he will sign somewhere out West. 

Edited by maloney.adam

Just now, EloyJenkins said:

They brought in lance lynn. Does that not make you happy? They have a new pitching coach using analytics and science and he is jazzed about Cease. They have Kopech finally ready. I swear sometimes this page. We just signed the best closer in the game. The bullpen is stacked. They actually spent money. 

They need starting pitching badly. Cease and Kopech are not going to give this team full seasons of innings.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

It's the best statistical closer in the game. Smile and be happy for once. Good lord. It's not your fucking money

Missing the point. I'm just skeptical JR isn't going to spend enough; if we don't get Bauer than I would say this was not the best way to go. But if we were to still sign Bauer after this, I would shit bricks.

Edited by RagahRagah

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I didn’t think club options counted as guaranteed years.  Technically I think it should be an $18M AAV, but this contract is basically unprecedented so who the fuck knows.

How is the luxury tax hit calculated with every other contract that has an option at the end? We can use that as a reference tomorrow as it's bed time for me unfortunately haha

Just now, Tony said:

Where would you like them to allocate those resources? Honest question. 

Given how much of a crapshoot closers are, that is probably the last place I would have invested the cash.  That said - my answer probably has just as much risk, but I'd rather spend a bit more on a front-line starting pitcher and/or allocate some extra cash to extend Lynn/Giolito (and see if I can acquire/extend a starter). I don't love long-term cash tied into pitching, period (so my answer is hypocritical in nature as is my follow-up answer). It is one place I think Jerry has been right.  And I can think of so few times he has been wrong - but I think this team has enough young arms that you could throw $100M at Bauer for 3 years and see if he bites (or go $70M for 2 years for all I care).  

For example - I would have been fine earmarking some funds to extend Lynn and make sure I get Giolito (I like longer term in this case because you are betting on someone younger and in Lynn's case, while there is risk due to Lynn's age, I think his age also means you don't have to go long-term so less chance of an albatross).  

That said - I don't hate the move - in the sense that if you are going to spend money on FA, I prefer going cream of the crop or waiting a long time for the market to play itself out. I don't like the middle of the pack game, feel you have a > risk of overplaying the market (from a price perspective) with all the same perils of free agency.  But now that they've done this - I need to find some more pitching and do like the fact that on paper, this pen can shorten the game up quite a bit (which is another way you can handle not having as deep of a rotation - at least once you get into the post-season).  

My revisionist history move is I would have rather used some prospect capital and payroll to get Yu Darvish vs. Liam. But I recognize Yu comes with his own risk so not a slam dunk choice by any stretch of the imagination and this move preserves prospect capital for other potential moves.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I was just joking when I said "botched". Have a good night and keep up the good work Jason!

No worries - I did assume at least a few people probably were posting in the other thread only to get the dreaded "lock" comment :). You too! 

2 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

They have a bullpen cable of extending games like never before...and there are still plenty of FA starters left. Patience baby. Tonight's a good night.

The quickest way to turn a good pen into a bad one is to overuse them. They still need starting pitching badly.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

Given how much of a crapshoot closers are, that is probably the last place I would have invested the cash.  That said - my answer probably has just as much risk, but I'd rather spend a bit more on a front-line starting pitcher and/or allocate some extra cash to extend Lynn/Giolito (and see if I can acquire/extend a starter). I don't love long-term cash tied into pitching, period (so my answer is hypocritical in nature as is my follow-up answer). It is one place I think Jerry has been right.  And I can think of so few times he has been wrong - but I think this team has enough young arms that you could throw $100M at Bauer for 3 years and see if he bites (or go $70M for 2 years for all I care).  

For example - I would have been fine earmarking some funds to extend Lynn and make sure I get Giolito (I like longer term in this case because you are betting on someone younger and in Lynn's case, while there is risk due to Lynn's age, I think his age also means you don't have to go long-term so less chance of an albatross).  

That said - I don't hate the move - in the sense that if you are going to spend money on FA, I prefer going cream of the crop or waiting a long time for the market to play itself out. I don't like the middle of the pack game, feel you have a > risk of overplaying the market (from a price perspective) with all the same perils of free agency.  But now that they've done this - I need to find some more pitching and do like the fact that on paper, this pen can shorten the game up quite a bit (which is another way you can handle not having as deep of a rotation - at least once you get into the post-season).  

My revisionist history move is I would have rather used some prospect capital and payroll to get Yu Darvish vs. Liam. But I recognize Yu comes with his own risk so not a slam dunk choice by any stretch of the imagination and this move preserves prospect capital for other potential moves.  

I would wager large sums of money that the Sox are still trying to extend Giolito & Lynn after this move.  If it weren’t for COVID, I’d expect the Sox to be closer to $160M next year rather than the rumored $135M to $140M.

4 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

All fair points, Jas. 

They shouldn’t be done. They need a few more pieces. I think they could be minor/mid-level moves, don’t have to be top-tier FA’s, but this move shouldn’t be it....keep going.

Well they overpaid, gave him the 4 year deal I was opposed to. Shocked the hell out of and never thought JR had the balls to do it.  

BUT I WILL SLEEP GOOD TONIGHT KNOWING BUMMER STILL PITCHES THE 8th AND ALL THOSE GREAT YOUNG ARMS ARE THER TO PITCH THE 6th and 7th innings. 

We are the odds on favorite to not only win the Central but win the AL.  

Still see the Dodgers now as the obstacle to win it all. 

Are the Sox done?? Hopefully not. Still would like Brantley or Ozuna and a 4th Starter and let Cease and Kopech battle it out for #5. 

Crochet can now develop as either a starter or Hendricks eventual replacement. I could even live now with the Vaughn experiment as a DH/1st Base rotation with Abreu. 

• Like 1

• Tony unpinned this topic