Sox sign Hendriks: 3/$39M - 4th year optional with $15M buyout

EvilJester99

4 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Ceases career high is about 140 innings. I don't see him leaping to 180 yet.

Isn’t 40 inning jumps the status quo?  I won’t pretend to understand how COVID will impact things, but if it impacts Cease it will likely impact most pitchers to some extent.  A deep bullpen plus having extra starters in Kopech, Lopez, and Stiever will be critical.

9 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I would wager large sums of money that the Sox are still trying to extend Giolito & Lynn after this move.  If it weren’t for COVID, I’d expect the Sox to be closer to $160M next year rather than the rumored $135M to $140M.

I agree with you that the Sox were probably ready to be in that sort of range (as you talked about). My worry with COVID is it just hampens everything else...but it could also be an opportunity for Sox because maybe JR really has more in his coughers from all the money he saved from the rebuild that him scaling back is just smaller in nature vs. the overall league.  My question though is where does it get in the way. 

If the Sox still can play and are okay moving payroll to different spots, than this moves might tip the scales a bit more to the positive. For example - if a team like the Dodgers made this sort of move, I'd be commending it day in and day out (which goes to show you I like Hendriks especially over next 2 years at a minimum).   Its more the context on a smaller payroll squad and the 4 year deal.  Whose to say though in 2 years Sox can't flip him and Grandal and apply $35M another way too.  

13 minutes ago, Tony said:

All fair points, Jas. 

They shouldn’t be done. They need a few more pieces. I think they could be minor/mid-level moves, don’t have to be top-tier FA’s, but this move shouldn’t be it....keep going.

Oh yeah - in grand scheme of things, nothing major to get upset about. Team is still better and I'm not one who worries about perception of moves or no moves. To be honest - this team didn't need to do a lot in the off-season for me to feel good about them. The only thing I wouldn't have wanted was to spend a bunch of money on some over the hill bums or to trade Kopech or any of our front line pitching prospects for a short-term rental. Those types of moves would have irritated me to no other because i think they would be too short-sited.

Compound that with the recent move the Indians made and this team is more than good enough to enter the season and you can tinker from there and upgrade based upon where things look in June/July. Don't need to spend it all now - although like you said, I expect a few more moves because they need some extra depth in the rotation. Those are the types of places where things can go south fast and put you in a hole that you don't make the playoffs. The positional depth on this team (*knock on wood*) is strong where even if a few players regress, I expect others to step up, that the offense should be good regardless (and its why I was never a big fan of allocating all that money to Springer).  

I'm also pretty excited about the coaching staff, in particular Katz.  I don't think he will be some miracle worker, but I do think this was the right time for a fresh voice and interested to see how some of the young Sox arms can take steps forward, in particular Cease, Kopech and Croquet.  Less fascinated with Lopez because I don't think his stuff has looked good (and I don't think that had anything to do with Cooper) - however, the new coach might surprise us, especially if he can help Lopez find that curve again.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Marshall/Foster/Frye/Heuer/Bummer/Hendricks, add Crochet in September/playoffs. Name a better bullpen, go.

Jimmy Cordero / Jimmy Cordero / Jimmy Cordero / Jimmy Cordero / Jimmy Cordero / Jimmy Cordero / Jimmy Cordero

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Isn’t 40 inning jumps the status quo?  I won’t pretend to understand how COVID will impact things, but if it impacts Cease it will likely impact most pitchers to some extent.  A deep bullpen plus having extra starters in Kopech, Lopez, and Stiever will be critical.

In this era of five inning pitchers, I’d think 160+ innings would have to be considered a full workload anyway.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Vulture said:

If they trade Heuer now that kills part of the value of signing Hendricks. We want a stacked bullpen, no? There’s got to be another way

I'd have mixed feelings about any Heuer trade, but 

1. Always sell high on relievers

2. I highly doubt he'd be traded for some boring #4 starter. If he's going, it has to be as part of a package for a real difference maker

No way would I trade Heuer. He’s a backup fire baller that could step in an emergency as a closer if Liam works 2 or 3 straight games and needs a night off. Too many decent FA starters still available like Ordizzi as an example or Q for one year if Kopech, Cease or Lopez don’t pan out. 

I doubt all 3 will fail. Lopez may become a Cordero. Out of Cease and Kopech one or both will develop. 

i think LF is more important to get Eloy to DH I’m a no on trading any bullpen arms, I’d rather trade Lopez or Cordero if I have to make trade  

• Tony unpinned this topic