Sox sign Hendriks: 3/$39M - 4th year optional with $15M buyout

EvilJester99

3 hours ago, EloyJenkins said:

They have a bullpen cable of extending games like never before...and there are still plenty of FA starters left. Patience baby. Tonight's a good night.

And They're probably going to have a starter in that bullpen too. ReLo. Can never have enough arms!

Edited by smellysox

In his book “One Last Strike,” Tony La Russa wrote about his debates with longtime pitching coach Dave Duncan, over whether they would rather have an elite closer or a true No. 1 starter to start a pitching staff. La Russa wanted the closer, which was more about how solidifying the final stage enabled his game planning than an argument about which asset front offices should treat with a greater priority.

https://theathletic.com/2250689/2021/01/11/white-sox-liam-hendriks-free-agency/

Edited by Drake Is Our Leader

I agree with that. With Hendriks and Bummer the Sox can go to Heuer and Marshall in the mid innings if needed. Hendriks basically makes each spot in the pen below him more valuable by one step, which provides greater value than just the 65-70 innings he himself will pitch. Now if they can resign Colome and do that one more time we’d really be in business but I’m probably just being greedy now.

Edited by Vulture
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, chw42 said:

I think it's because the 4th year is an option yet he's still guaranteed 54 million that technically makes this a $18 million AAV deal. 

. 54/4 =13.5 AAV . I know you're dividing it by 3 but the possibility does exist that he pitches the fourth year or he gets traded making it not the Sox problem.

I would like to welcome Liam Hendriks to a long tradition of closers on the south side! In my lifetime we've had Farmer, Thigpen, Hernandez, Foulke, and of course Jenks. Also I shouldn't forget Colome. He was a big part of last years playoff team. There have been others,  of course. But these are the ones that have stood out to me. Either had personal success or were on some very successful teams.

Edited by smellysox
  • Like 1

Nicely Done.

There's one more move left and yes it is a big one.

But the goal is not to compete with Minnesota or Cleveland or Houston. 

The goal is to compete with the LA Dodgers unless the base is satisfied with an "under budget one-hit wonder" that may come around every hundred years or so.

Stop feeling sorry for these owners. If they're not affluent enough to compete, they can find something else to do.

Edited by GradMc

5 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

I agree with you that the Sox were probably ready to be in that sort of range (as you talked about). My worry with COVID is it just hampens everything else...but it could also be an opportunity for Sox because maybe JR really has more in his coughers from all the money he saved from the rebuild that him scaling back is just smaller in nature vs. the overall league.  My question though is where does it get in the way. 

If the Sox still can play and are okay moving payroll to different spots, than this moves might tip the scales a bit more to the positive. For example - if a team like the Dodgers made this sort of move, I'd be commending it day in and day out (which goes to show you I like Hendriks especially over next 2 years at a minimum).   Its more the context on a smaller payroll squad and the 4 year deal.  Whose to say though in 2 years Sox can't flip him and Grandal and apply $35M another way too.  

Here is one counter though I acknowledge this year we probably could have gone underneath it:

- we are paying the bullpen about the same next year and after as we were last few years

- Colome was still pretty expensive in arb at 9 and 10 million last two years. 
- we paid for Herrera and Cishek as MR

- we’ve built out MR organically keep them out of save situations where they get really expensive in arb

At least when looking at the group as a whole, it made sense to splurge on the bullpen when so much of it was cheap. And it kept the young promising guys in roles that didn’t stretch them.

Now, if he really comes at the cost of X on whole roster I agree with your points - but that’s up to sox. Doesn’t have to be the case.

• Like 1

$54M to replace Colome because he get K's. People wanted to save resources when Eaton was signed and McCann left. This would be a major market type signing. Wrong team. Colome was stellar last year and people did not like him. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, pcq said:

$54M to replace Colome because he get K's. People wanted to save resources when Eaton was signed and McCann left. This would be a major market type signing. Wrong team. Colome was stellar last year and people did not like him. 

So Colome made 10.5 million last year. Hendriks is making 11 next year.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, pcq said:

Colome got the job done for the last two years, but Hendriks is better than him. I'd much rather have a closer that's missing bats than one who depends on weak contact and the defense behind him.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, pcq said:

Colome was great in the first half of 2019 and then struggled in the 2nd half. He was great in 2020, but we also didn’t get the chance to see if he could hold up for the entire season.  Nightengale did say he was their 2nd choice.

Let's put it this way...if you are in game 7 of the ALCS with Aaron Judge up, do you feel more comfortable with Hendriks taking the 9th or Colome? Based on every game thread of the last two seasons it is pretty obvious. The Sox don't have to worry about their bullpen for their long stretch run. That piece of mind cost ... But imo it is only a 1 year overpay.

Edited by EloyJenkins

Happy we got a closer. This was the most essential need left, IMHO. He can be the biggest difference maker, because he keeps everyone in the bullpen in a proper role, and you have that guy not just for the season, but for the playoffs when the pressure is really ratcheted up. 

The length is certainly a risk. But a necessary one to get him. 

Next splash for me would be Brantley. I don't see the Sox winning Bauer. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Let's put it this way...if you are in game 7 of the ALCS with Aaron Judge up, do you feel more comfortable with Hendriks taking the 9th or Colome? Based on every game thread of the last two seasons it is pretty obvious. The Sox don't have to worry about their bullpen for their long stretch run. That piece of mind cost ... But imo it is only a 1 year overpay.

To be fair Hendriks has only been thus good the last 2 years. Colome has a much better career and track record. The Sox need the Hendriks of the last 2 years and there is no reason to think he won't be.

• Tony unpinned this topic