Sox sign Hendriks: 3/$39M - 4th year optional with $15M buyout

EvilJester99

7 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Let's put it this way...if you are in game 7 of the ALCS with Aaron Judge up, do you feel more comfortable with Hendriks taking the 9th or Colome? Based on every game thread of the last two seasons it is pretty obvious. The Sox don't have to worry about their bullpen for their long stretch run. That piece of mind cost ... But imo it is only a 1 year overpay.

I do want to say that Colome was fantastic last few years. I just really worried about his shoulder. Hendriks could fail but he's been incredibly effective so he has room to fall, whereas colome if he started to decline already had a bunch of baserunners getting on.

4 minutes ago, VAfan said:

Happy we got a closer. This was the most essential need left, IMHO. He can be the biggest difference maker, because he keeps everyone in the bullpen in a proper role, and you have that guy not just for the season, but for the playoffs when the pressure is really ratcheted up. 

The length is certainly a risk. But a necessary one to get him. 

Next splash for me would be Brantley. I don't see the Sox winning Bauer. 

Agreed with Bauer. Unless he accepts a 3 year deal he won't be with the Sox. 

I’d love to see the Sox sign Colome still. If we could have Hendriks, Bummer, and Colome for late innings pushing Heuer and Marshall into mid innings role; that would be an absolutely lights out bullpen. Imagine Heuer coming in in the fifth when things go shaky instead of Cordero. Would be too good to happen though probably

1 hour ago, pcq said:

$54M to replace Colome because he get K's. People wanted to save resources when Eaton was signed and McCann left. This would be a major market type signing. Wrong team. Colome was stellar last year and people did not like him. 

He also, like Colome, is stingy with the long ball though.

8 hours ago, RagahRagah said:

Missing the point. I'm just skeptical JR isn't going to spend enough; if we don't get Bauer than I would say this was not the best way to go. But if we were to still sign Bauer after this, I would shit bricks.

How long do you wait on Bauer?  My guess is that Hendricks was telling teams it was time to make a decision.

At the end of the winter someone will say we could have signed Bauer instead of Lynn, Eaton and Hendricks as that is $31M but that is not the case.  The MLB is broken in this regard thanks to Boras and dragging the process out.

Wow, that's a lot of money for a reliever. I'm glad to have him, but I wouldn't have been upset if the Sox weren't willing to pay that much to get him.

I'm not in favor of trading Heuer unless the Sox are set on moving Kopech or Crochet to reliver permanently.

Hendriks-Bummer-Marshall-Heuer-Fry-Foster-Cordero-Burdi/Lopez is a nice bullpen and I wouldn't want to lose Heuer unless Kopech or Crochet are replacing him.

If the Sox are still in on Bauer, give him another week or so and if you can't land him, sign Quintana or one of the other comparable available options.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Wow, that's a lot of money for a reliever. I'm glad to have him, but I wouldn't have been upset if the Sox weren't willing to pay that much to get him.

I'm not in favor of trading Heuer unless the Sox are set on moving Kopech or Crochet to reliver permanently.

Hendriks-Bummer-Marshall-Heuer-Fry-Foster-Cordero-Burdi/Lopez is a nice bullpen and I wouldn't want to lose Heuer unless Kopech or Crochet are replacing him.

If the Sox are still in on Bauer, give him another week or so and if you can't land him, sign Quintana or one of the other comparable available options.

Can’t get all caught up on trading a reliever. Especially if that reliever nets you a stud rotation guy. Sox have been great at developing relievers. I like Heuer, but most people didn’t uneven know who he was at this time last year.

28 minutes ago, bmags said:

I'm happy the sox found a way to hit the target of the player/agent. You can tell the leaks of the completion came from agent, as all were emphasizing the guaranteed money. Good for sox/hahn. 

RH is a clever guy.  The 54 million is being reported as the largest guaranteed contract as yet this offseason.  Glad that we can dispense with all the "JR is cheap" talk.

2 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Can’t get all caught up on trading a reliever. Especially if that reliever nets you a stud rotation guy. Sox have been great at developing relievers. I like Heuer, but most people didn’t uneven know who he was at this time last year.

I don't see a package with Heuer as the centerpiece netting a stud rotation guy, but if other teams value him that much, then yeah, do it. I guess in that case it bumps Kopech or Crochet to the bullpen anyway.

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Same with Dunning and when he was traded he was compared to Shane Bieber by some on this board.

I see a lot of comments about this signing being too much money...not so much on here but on Twitter.  Colome's salary last season was $10.5MM.  Hendriks is going to be paid an average of $13MM a year over the next three years.  If the Sox hold on to him for a fourth year, he'll make $15MM.  If not, it's $1.5MM a year for 10 years.  In my mind, this is not a bad deal at all for probably the best available reliever on the market.  To get the best, you have to shell out some dough.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

I don't see a package with Heuer as the centerpiece netting a stud rotation guy, but if other teams value him that much, then yeah, do it. I guess in that case it bumps Kopech or Crochet to the bullpen anyway.

I don’t think he’s be the centerpiece, but if he allows you to do Madrigal + Heuer instead of Vaughn, that’s a no-brainer.

5 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

Same with Dunning and when he was traded he was compared to Shane Bieber by some on this board.

True, except Dunning as a starter holds more value for me. Rangers have the higher likelihood to make out on top of that deal long-term IMO. If Lynn gets hurt or implodes that trade is going to look terrible for the Sox. I think that trade boiled down to Dunning not having as high of a ceiling as Kopech or Cease and the Sox not being able to depend on a former TJ guy for innings as the #3 on a playoff contender.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bighurt574 said:

So they're basically certain to pick up the 4th year option as long as his arm doesn't fall off.  The only cost is whatever the time value of the money works out to be by paying up front instead of deferring it.  I'm sure someone could run those numbers.  Maybe $3-4M?

They have 10 years to pay it off, so 1.5 million/yr. Not dissimilar to their recurring Paulie cost.

13 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I see a lot of comments about this signing being too much money...not so much on here but on Twitter.  Colome's salary last season was $10.5MM.  Hendriks is going to be paid an average of $13MM a year over the next three years.  If the Sox hold on to him for a fourth year, he'll make $15MM.  If not, it's $1.5MM a year for 10 years.  In my mind, this is not a bad deal at all for probably the best available reliever on the market.  To get the best, you have to shell out some dough.

I don't think people understand how much closers make in arbitration. For instance, next year Hendriks will make $11 million, as you said, just a 500k increase.

Mark Melancon got 4 for 62 in 2017 as a soon to be 32 year old reliever. He was great prior, but this deal is certainly in line with the 20% or so haircut we are seeing on deals this offseason.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

They have 10 years to pay it off, so 1.5 million/yr. Not dissimilar to their recurring Paulie cost.

Yep.  And someone could easily figure out the "present value" of those deferred payments.  

Using a quick calculator I found online using a 6% interest rate, it appears to be around $11M.  So it's basically a $4M decision on whether the exercise the option.  

Very excited about our lock-down bullpen.  I do find this an odd use of funds for a team apparently operating within financial constraints, and have to chalk it up to the TLR effect.  But as long as they go out and sign another veteran starter I think this team is ready to roll in 2021 and you'll hear no complaints from me.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I don't think people understand how much closers make in arbitration. For instance, next year Hendriks will make $11 million, as you said, just a 500k increase.

Mark Melancon got 4 for 62 in 2017 as a soon to be 32 year old reliever. He was great prior, but this deal is certainly in line with the 20% or so haircut we are seeing on deals this offseason.

Does the $1m signing bonus get added to 2021, making the cap hit $12m? Still very nice structure.  3-4 years from now, very team friendly as salaries catch up.   

• Tony unpinned this topic