Sox sign Hendriks: 3/$39M - 4th year optional with $15M buyout

EvilJester99

40 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Wow, that's a lot of money for a reliever. I'm glad to have him, but I wouldn't have been upset if the Sox weren't willing to pay that much to get him.

I'm not in favor of trading Heuer unless the Sox are set on moving Kopech or Crochet to reliver permanently.

Hendriks-Bummer-Marshall-Heuer-Fry-Foster-Cordero-Burdi/Lopez is a nice bullpen and I wouldn't want to lose Heuer unless Kopech or Crochet are replacing him.

If the Sox are still in on Bauer, give him another week or so and if you can't land him, sign Quintana or one of the other comparable available options.

All good thoughts.

4 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

Does the $1m signing bonus get added to 2021, making the cap hit $12m? Still very nice structure.  3-4 years from now, very team friendly as salaries catch up.   

usually gets smoothed out over length of deal on lux tax.

10 hours ago, RagahRagah said:

I'm honestly disappointed because I feel Hendriks wasn't a big need and the money needs to be spent more wisely.

And yet, can't help but have some excitement that we signed a big name.

Now you are getting into the right spirit.☺️

9 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

This is what I was waiting to find out and should put an end to the ideas that (1) this is a 4/54 deal, and (2) the Sox intend to pick up the option.

This is a 3/39 deal and the Sox will almost certainly decline the option.  Throwing Hendricks $1.5 mil every year beginning in 2024 is not going to have any impact on what the Sox can or want to do financially in those years.

Just now, Perfect Vision said:

This is what I was waiting to find out and should put an end to the ideas that (1) this is a 4/54 deal, and (2) the Sox intend to pick up the option.

This is a 3/39 deal and the Sox will almost certainly decline the option.  Throwing Hendricks $1.5 mil every year beginning in 2024 is not going to have any impact on what the Sox can or want to do financially in those years.

This option news makes things a little better!

2 minutes ago, zisk said:

Not as thrilled as every one else. Hendricks has had his ups and downs over the years. Hope we didn't buy high.

From article today;  "Hendriks was a pretty good reliever for a long time before becoming truly elite the last two years when he figured out something with his four-seamer that gave it two more MPH". 

9 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

This is an amazing compromise.  I know the Sox have worked something like this before, though not to this scale.  It seems like Paul Konerko got like a million a year for 4 or 5 years after he retired, and we might have turned someone else's buyout into something similar IIRC.  Credit to Rick for getting creative to get this done.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TomPickle said:

I wish I had any faith at all that the White Sox would keep spending money after this so I could be happy about it.

$25 million for Eaton and Hendriks. Give me Springer for $25 million every day of the week.

Boo on this take. Sox fans can't enjoy things, ha. 

Is this how I would've spent $25mm? Probably not, but at the same time it's really solid use of $25mm, and we've spent $25mm when most other teams (Go Royals! I see you) haven't spent a dime or are actively shedding (Cubbie Blue). 

We've addressed a RF hole with a capable league average guy who has had enough flashes that he scored us our Ace and the guy who we traded to get our 2/3 in Lynn ... all on a 1 year deal at reasonable money. We got the top closer available and didn't pay for Colome who had regression written all over him (though to his credit he always got the job done). 

We also have resisted the urge to trade Vaughn, Madrigal, Kopech, etc to get a big short term splash. 

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Considering Hendriks replaces Colome it actually weakens us overall.

I agree with this guy. The Sox spent all this money to get a guy less good than Colome. 

Here's a copy and past from what I posted earlier on this topic on a different thread: 

Colome is clearly, clearly better than Hendriks. Clearly. 

Colome the last two years:

2019 - 30 saves in 33 save opportunities

2020 - 12 saves in 13 save opportunities

Hendricks last two years:

2019 - 25 saves in 32 save chances

2020 - 14 saves in 15 save opportunities

Totals: 

Colome - 42 saves in 46 save opportunities -- four blown saves

Hendricks - 39 saves in 47 opportunities - eight blown saves

In only one more opportunity, Hendricks has blown twice as many games as Colome over the last two years, twice as many

I am glad the Sox are spending money, and I am going to say the the Sox brass knows what they're doing, but I don't get how Hendrick at the best closer in baseball when he wasn't better than Colome. Again, Hendrick blew twice as many saves as Colome over the last two years, twice as many. 

I'm glad the Sox are spending money and especially glad we didn't get a stiff like Brad Hand, but the Sox could have kept Colome for a lot, lot less money and had a better reliever. 

15 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Considering Hendriks replaces Colome it actually weakens us overall.

Exactly.  That's the thing that tempers my excitement a little bit here - it's not like we're filling some massive hole here.  I get the doubts about Colome moving forward, but we're just replacing a closer who had great results with another closer we hope will have great results.  It's not some massive shot in the arm like a big upgrade at RF or in the rotation.

15 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

From article today;  "Hendriks was a pretty good reliever for a long time before becoming truly elite the last two years when he figured out something with his four-seamer that gave it two more MPH". 

Let's just hope it doesn't involve the phrase "foreign substance"

1 minute ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Exactly.  That's the thing that tempers my excitement a little bit here - it's not like we're filling some massive hole here.  I get the doubts about Colome moving forward, but we're just replacing a closer who had great results with another closer we hope will have great results.  It's not some massive shot in the arm like a big upgrade at RF or in the rotation.

I guess we'll see what Colome gets.  With Hendriks off the market and so many teams in search of a closer, the difference in $ between the 2 may be very small and worth the security.

4 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

I agree with this guy. The Sox spent all this money to get a guy less good than Colome. 

Here's a copy and past from what I posted earlier on this topic on a different thread: 

Colome is clearly, clearly better than Hendriks. Clearly. 

Colome the last two years:

2019 - 30 saves in 33 save opportunities

2020 - 12 saves in 13 save opportunities

Hendricks last two years:

2019 - 25 saves in 32 save chances

2020 - 14 saves in 15 save opportunities

Totals: 

Colome - 42 saves in 46 save opportunities -- four blown saves

Hendricks - 39 saves in 47 opportunities - eight blown saves

In only one more opportunity, Hendricks has blown twice as many games as Colome over the last two years, twice as many

I am glad the Sox are spending money, and I am going to say the the Sox brass knows what they're doing, but I don't get how Hendrick at the best closer in baseball when he wasn't better than Colome. Again, Hendrick blew twice as many saves as Colome over the last two years, twice as many. 

I'm glad the Sox are spending money and especially glad we didn't get a stiff like Brad Hand, but the Sox could have kept Colome for a lot, lot less money and had a better reliever. 

Sorry, but this is a bad take.  Colome hasn't even been the most valuable White Sox reliever over the last 2 years, that would be Bummer.  Over the last 2 years Hendriks has been the best reliever in all of baseball and it isn't even particularly close.  Could he fall off a cliff by year 3?  Most definitely he will be 35 by that time.  But the Sox have safeguarded themselves against this with the buyout.

Top RP last 2 seasons:

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 9.20.49 AM.png

His contract is also right in line with what Fangraphs crowdsourcing put him at:

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 9.24.23 AM.png

But I do agree with everyone saying that hopefully this doesn't preclude them from making additional moves (SP and/or lefty bat).  I would prefer if they still address both.

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Colome isn't throwing 50 pitches or getting a 3 inning save in the playoffs. Hendriks did both during the last postseason. 

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

How long do you wait on Bauer?  My guess is that Hendricks was telling teams it was time to make a decision.

At the end of the winter someone will say we could have signed Bauer instead of Lynn, Eaton and Hendricks as that is $31M but that is not the case.  The MLB is broken in this regard thanks to Boras and dragging the process out.

This we can agree on.

• Tony unpinned this topic