Sox sign Hendriks: 3/$39M - 4th year optional with $15M buyout

EvilJester99

The 4th year of the Hendriks deal is similar to 2 deals that us older fans will remember. The Bobby Bonilla deal that was with the Mets, he’s getting paid until 2035, and Julio “Juice” Cruz, he got paid until 2009. 5.64 million spread out over 15 years starting in 1994, ending in 2009.  Nice pensions!!! So Hendriks 4th year, if they buy him out is nothing new to the White Sox. If you remember the Julio Cruz deal was met a lot of resentment. We traded away a very popular Jorge Orta in 1983. The Sox did it at the trade deadline to WAKE UP the team and prove that nobody is untouchable. The Sox went on to win the Division in 1983 only to lose to the Orioles.  Juice Cruz score the winning run in the Clinching game in September.

just a bit of boring history for you youngsters. LOL. I was there for the clinching game and game 4 in the playoffs the Britt Burns pitched his heart out on 1 leg. 

I’d be interested to see if anyone remembers these events. 

i believe Hendriks will have 2 GREAT YEARS!! Why? Because we are so deep and we may not need a closer every night because hopefully we’ll up in the 8th and 9th in non save situations, HOPEFULLY.  

• Like 1

I stand corrected. Had a brain cramp in my old age. But I believe the rest of what I said is correct. GREAT catch. Loved Tony B. 

If Jerry Dybszinski’s  base running error doesn’t happen in game 4, the Sox win in 9 and don’t go into extra innings and then there would have been a game 5. 

if anybody remembers Greg Luzinski also had a terrible playoff and was not clutch. Loved that team. Lamar Hoyt fell apart after he left to go to San Diego, Britt Burns bad legs finally gave out, Juice Cruz turned out to a piece of shit after about a season or 2. Floyd Bannister, Richard Dotson, Baines, Kittle, Hairston ( great pinch hitter) Rudy Law. Tom Paciorek!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

The 4th year of the Hendriks deal is similar to 2 deals that us older fans will remember. The Bobby Bonilla deal that was with the Mets, he’s getting paid until 2035, and Julio “Juice” Cruz, he got paid until 2009. 5.64 million spread out over 15 years starting in 1994, ending in 2009.  Nice pensions!!! So Hendriks 4th year, if they buy him out is nothing new to the White Sox. If you remember the Julio Cruz deal was met a lot of resentment. We traded away a very popular Jorge Orta in 1983. The Sox did it at the trade deadline to WAKE UP the team and prove that nobody is untouchable. The Sox went on to win the Division in 1983 only to lose to the Orioles.  Juice Cruz score the winning run in the Clinching game in September.

just a bit of boring history for you youngsters. LOL. I was there for the clinching game and game 4 in the playoffs the Britt Burns pitched his heart out on 1 leg. 

I’d be interested to see if anyone remembers these events. 

i believe Hendriks will have 2 GREAT YEARS!! Why? Because we are so deep and we may not need a closer every night because hopefully we’ll up in the 8th and 9th in non save situations, HOPEFULLY.  

I was at the clinching game in 83, but not any playoff games. Great childhood memories

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

I stand corrected. Had a brain cramp in my old age. But I believe the rest of what I said is correct. GREAT catch. Loved Tony B. 

If Jerry Dybszinski’s  base running error doesn’t happen in game 4, the Sox win in 9 and don’t go into extra innings and then there would have been a game 5. 

if anybody remembers Greg Luzinski also had a terrible playoff and was not clutch. Loved that team. Lamar Hoyt fell apart after he left to go to San Diego, Britt Burns bad legs finally gave out, Juice Cruz turned out to a piece of shit after about a season or 2. Floyd Bannister, Richard Dotson, Baines, Kittle, Hairston ( great pinch hitter) Rudy Law. Tom Paciorek!!!

Yep...I've been a fan since 1955 when I was 10 years old.  Don't feel bad about that brain cramp...I get lots of those.  To answer your question...yes, I remember all those players and situations.  Funny how life goes on whether they are good moves or bad moves.  Just like now, every move seemed earth-shatteringly important.

2 hours ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

Winning Ugly Team

Of all the early teams, one of my favorites was the Southside Hit Men, 1977. Soderholm, Zisk, Gamble, a lot of fun that year but they ran out of gas. 

Stone was part of that team also, Wilbur Wood, Kessinger, Alan Bannister, tough clutch hitter.  

Still had 90 wins, which today gets you into the playoffs. A lot of washed up pitchers that tried hard but faded. 

Still have the T-shirt. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

Yep...I've been a fan since 1955 when I was 10 years old.  Don't feel bad about that brain cramp...I get lots of those.  To answer your question...yes, I remember all those players and situations.  Funny how life goes on whether they are good moves or bad moves.  Just like now, every move seemed earth-shatteringly important.

That makes you right around TLR's age.

17 hours ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

If the White Sox win that game they win the world series.  Hoyt was dominating and the Orioles were not touching him in game 5. 

Sox pitching would have carried them through the world series.

1 hour ago, Harry Chappas said:

If the White Sox win that game they win the world series.  Hoyt was dominating and the Orioles were not touching him in game 5. 

Sox pitching would have carried them through the world series.

At the time surely all WS fans were convinced that was how it would have played out.

5 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Rosenthal confirmed that Hendriks’ contract would count as $18M/year from 2021 to 2023 for luxury tax purposes and potentially zero for 2024 assuming the rules remain the same under the new CBA.

Then I see a trade coming rather than signing a free agent for starting pitching. As I said earlier in the Bauer thread, signing Hendriks is an excuse for not signing Bauer and now it appears it will be an excuse for not signing any SP and maybe not another LH bat too . The good news is I've very rarely, if ever, had one of those posts where upon further review didn't age well and am hoping this becomes one.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

11 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Not insinuating anything. Tomorrow is the deadline though so resolution on contract is coming 

If Lopez is DFA'd because they couldn't settle and the estimated arb. cost of $2.2M is deemed too expensive to keep for his current role then either Katz doesn't like what he sees or Sox have run out of money and we will see trades and dumpster diving for anything else added to the 25/26.

19 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Then I see a trade coming rather than signing a free agent for starting pitching. As I said earlier in the Bauer thread, signing Hendriks is an excuse for not signing Bauer and now it appears it will be an excuse for not signing any SP and maybe not another LH bat too . The good news is I've very rarely, if ever, had one of those posts where upon further review didn't age well and am hoping this becomes one.

Its 18 for cap purposes but in reality it's only 13 paid out. It's not an excuse not to sign Bauer. The Sox were never going to commit 5 years to a starting pitcher with the options they currently have. They wanted that proven closer at the back of the pen which is a very important piece for a winning team.

• Tony unpinned this topic