Sox sign Hendriks: 3/$39M - 4th year optional with $15M buyout

EvilJester99

Surely the mods can figure this out. Find all new accounts created after the thread was created and (I assume you can see all of their activity) look for accts that focus primarily or exclusively on that thread. Not that it really matters, but I would be curious to know if he posted anything.

Edit: I guess he may not have created an account, so .... never mind.

Edited by skooch

This is my last post on this subject because we have to move on. Liam officially is signed sealed and delivered. 
 As a term used in football “ shut down corners”. We’ve now built a true lily shutdown bullpen. With our offense Liam will not get burned out  because we could have some big leads going into the 8th and 9th 😀😀😀😀

We can stay in every game when a starter faulted early. With this bullpen and our offense that can comeback at will, Tony will not let a game get out of hand. Cordero and Lopez in long relief, if Lopez can’t develop into a #5 starter will give the offense time. And as I’ve read, Tony may use Liam in a crucial 6th or 7th inning to shut down a rally with guys like Bummer and Heuer to help out later on. 

Don’t know if we’ll get another starter or outfielder/DH. I can live with our current options and let Vaughn bat 7th, 8th and grow with occasionally playing 1st to spell Abreu and let him DH in the hot summer days and nights. I can live with Collins as a backup catcher and occasional DH. 

We Adam Eaton in Right so Robert won’t have to run over like he does left. Worst case senerio Eloy DH and Engel plays left who is no slouching  defense 

infield defense is solid, Abreu’s defense greatly improved, Madrigal if healthy is a good second basemen and a great contact hitter, nothing needs to be said about SS AND 3rd, 😀😀😀

looking for the next move, trade or signing!!!!

waiting for the next interesting topic or trade or signing!!!!

Edited by AJ'S Cousin
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I don't dislike Grandal.  He's a good offensive player.  The problem is catcher is the one position where you can't out hit your defense.  It's too important a position to the rest of the team.  

Grandal reminds me of Catcher version of Alexei. He’s really good at it, but he makes it hard to tell sometimes. 

His biggest issue, in my opinion, is he doesn’t have a natural feel for pitch selection/reading the hitter. Not a small thing, but also easy to work around. 

7 hours ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Having ReyLo in the pen now provides us a good emergency arm in case of injuries, helps as a stop-gap to eat some of this innings. Opens up a permanent slot in the rotation that we know we need to fill (and will this off-season) instead of playing the "will he figure it out this year" game and depending on Lopez.

Once we fill that slot with whomever (Q, Kluber, Richards, etc), we have 5.5 starters on the active roster. I like that flexibility - gives him a chance to figure it out, but we aren't depending on him to do it. 

Still hoping they bring Q on board as a nice depth piece and a well rested arm. Sox would provide the  best home for him. 

1 hour ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

This is my last post on this subject because we have to move on. Liam officially is signed sealed and delivered. 
 As a term used in football “ shut down corners”. We’ve now built a true lily shutdown bullpen. With our offense Liam will not get burned out  because we could have some big leads going into the 8th and 9th 😀😀😀😀

We can stay in every game when a starter faulted early. With this bullpen and our offense that can comeback at will, Tony will not let a game get out of hand. Cordero and Lopez in long relief, if Lopez can’t develop into a #5 starter will give the offense time. And as I’ve read, Tony may use Liam in a crucial 6th or 7th inning to shut down a rally with guys like Bummer and Heuer to help out later on. 

Don’t know if we’ll get another starter or outfielder/DH. I can live with our current options and let Vaughn bat 7th, 8th and grow with occasionally playing 1st to spell Abreu and let him DH in the hot summer days and nights. I can live with Collins as a backup catcher and occasional DH. 

We Adam Eaton in Right so Robert won’t have to run over like he does left. Worst case senerio Eloy DH and Engel plays left who is no slouching  defense 

infield defense is solid, Abreu’s defense greatly improved, Madrigal if healthy is a good second basemen and a great contact hitter, nothing needs to be said about SS AND 3rd, 😀😀😀

looking for the next move, trade or signing!!!!

waiting for the next interesting topic or trade or signing!!!!

I am in agreement with everything you are saying.  We have enough to win the Central in all probability and 3 quality starters are what is needed in playoff baseball.  Now every improvement just solidifies the deal.  Obviously, a TOR starter improves both division and playoff and WS aspirations while any quality starter enhances the division-winning probability.  For what it's worth...I really, really, really love this bullpen.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Sox already offered tendered ReyLo.  They knew within a pretty narrow range what he was going to cost.  These talks aren't changing that.  These are formalities.

Right I understood that .But things have changed since Dec. 2nd and Katz has had a chance to see him and work with him while the Sox just signed Hendriks and are reaching the end of their rope financially. Thought there was a small chance he got DFA for the extra $2M.

19 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

The difference is piazza hit the snot out of the ball. And grandal is a good catcher. It’s a bad comp by a bad evaluator or talent. 

Who is comparing them? He wrote you cannot outhit bad defense being a catcher. Piazza certainly did. I actually like Grandal.  And Grandal’s defense has always been quite positive with Fangraphs. He actually blows James McCann away.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Tony unpinned this topic