Sox sign Hendriks: 3/$39M - 4th year optional with $15M buyout

EvilJester99

3 hours ago, fathom said:

Hendriks could not have been more likable in his press conference 

Definitely has that “love him when he’s on your team, hate em when he’s on the other team” vibe 

I love those kinds of guys , especially when they’re on our team

15 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Piazza shouldn't have been catching then as he was universally hated by every pitcher who ever threw to him and he sure as heck wouldn't be catching today. 

Gary Sanchez  is pretty horrible behind the plate and the Yankees seem very reluctant to move on from him even when he hits. 128 makes me think many teams today would tolerate Piazza behind the plate for his HOF bat.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Madrigal Mystery Tour said:

Guys, rick Hahn just isn't good

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Agreed. I had running arguements with many on this board as to whether KW and RH should get the chance to orchestrate this rebuild.

53 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Gary Sanchez  is pretty horrible behind the plate and the Yankees seem very reluctant to move on from him even when he hits. 128 makes me think many teams today would tolerate Piazza behind the plate for his HOF bat.

Sanchez is another catcher who was benched during the playoffs when the games mattered.  

25 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Sanchez is another catcher who was benched during the playoffs when the games mattered.  

I think if your pitchers think you can call  a good game, especially with stealing bases taking such a small role in today's game, and you can frame, the other stuff doesn't matter so much. Carlton Fisk wasn't all that defensively,  took forever to put down the numbers,  but his pitchers loved throwing to him , so now he has a reputation as a top defense catcher.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I think if your pitchers think you can call  a good game, especially with stealing bases taking such a small role in today's game, and you can frame, the other stuff doesn't matter so much. Carlton Fisk wasn't all that defensively,  took forever to put down the numbers,  but his pitchers loved throwing to him , so now he has a reputation as a top defense catcher.

He was a big target.

Complete quote: 

No. 4: “The downtime between hearing from teams and stuff gave me a lot of time to go down rabbit holes online about which way organizations were doing. I may or may not have read all 90something pages of the SoxTalk blog [editor’s note: it’s a forum] that was about me, ’cause it was interesting. I wanted to see the fans’ perspective, and they were largely positive. White Sox fans were by far the most positive in everything that has transpired that I’ve seen online. That was another big thing. You see the fan group, you see the fact at how positive they were, and that was a huge contribution to helping us narrow everything down.

You guys helped him to decide to sign with the Sox.

Good job to all you great posters.

:cheers

• Like 5
  • Love 2

On 1/11/2021 at 11:26 PM, Saufley said:

Do they still have 7 inning double headers?

Seven inning doubleheaders are one of the changes I hate.  Last year was different so I get a temporary change.  For regular doubleheaders in non shortened seasons...no way.  Constant changes to the game are not to be taken lightly.

9 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Seven inning doubleheaders are one of the changes I hate.  Last year was different so I get a temporary change.  For regular doubleheaders in non shortened seasons...no way.  Constant changes to the game are not to be taken lightly.

I do get it for this year as I guess there is still the possibility of a lot of double headers due to the virus.

4 hours ago, knightni said:

Complete quote: 

No. 4: “The downtime between hearing from teams and stuff gave me a lot of time to go down rabbit holes online about which way organizations were doing. I may or may not have read all 90something pages of the SoxTalk blog [editor’s note: it’s a forum] that was about me, ’cause it was interesting. I wanted to see the fans’ perspective, and they were largely positive. White Sox fans were by far the most positive in everything that has transpired that I’ve seen online. That was another big thing. You see the fan group, you see the fact at how positive they were, and that was a huge contribution to helping us narrow everything down.

You guys helped him to decide to sign with the Sox.

Good job to all you great posters.

:cheers

I'm surprised he thought it was positive!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Give Soxtalk $54 million and we would sign someone and call for his DFA in spring training.

I am gonna say this is wrong.

I actually think this boards hit rate on its fetishes are pretty good. 

9 hours ago, oldsox said:

I still would like to sign Colome.  Not much difference between the 2.

I don't agree with this. I think Colome would be much worse if he wasn't closing. I think getting the "save" forces him to focus and pitch much better. If he wasn't as focused, his stuff would become much more hittable. 

Sox don't need to spend more on their bullpen. They should put whatever money they have left to spend elsewhere. 

20 hours ago, longshot7 said:

I'm surprised he thought it was positive!!

He apparently never scrolled down to the threads claiming no respectable free agent would sign with the Sox because the manager is allegedly an alcoholic racist.  Or the thread where Sox fans were trying to financially destroy the team because they wanted Hinch instead of LaRussa.

On 1/16/2021 at 3:49 PM, southsider2k5 said:

Give Soxtalk $54 million, and I promise we would find a working swear filter.

Since the swear filter is fucking broken, can we just turn it off completely? 

It makes no sense that b****ing and moaning is filtered and fuck and shit are not. 

• Tony unpinned this topic