Sox sign Hendriks: 3/$39M - 4th year optional with $15M buyout

EvilJester99

13 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't think they lied. He saved the games. But we aren't replaying 2019 or 2020 anymore. Moving forward, Hendriks looks like the far better bet.

Yeah, this is where it is for me.  Colome has been really good, and was really good for the Sox.  Hendriks is the safer to be better in the future. 

15 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I don't think they lied. He saved the games. But we aren't replaying 2019 or 2020 anymore. Moving forward, Hendriks looks like the far better bet.

Colome seemingly is the rare guy that can out pitch his peripherals/stat cast numbers.  He's done it for a while now so I don't think tossing out his era/save numbers is a fair thing to do.  That said, Hendriks is better, he's quite possibly the best reliever in baseball right now and is the much better bet to keep on that path where as I think there's a good chance Alex starts to regress.

13 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Yeah, this is where it is for me.  Colome has been really good, and was really good for the Sox.  Hendriks is the safer to be better in the future. 

I think they over-paid for their market level and budget. They might only recover 50% of the contract value. Certainly a quality acquisition and statement going forward.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

Colome seemingly is the rare guy that can out pitch his peripherals/stat cast numbers.  He's done it for a while now so I don't think tossing out his era/save numbers is a fair thing to do.  That said, Hendriks is better, he's quite possibly the best reliever in baseball right now and is the much better bet to keep on that path where as I think there's a good chance Alex starts to regress.

I don't love Colome as a non-closer though. He feels like that guy who relies on the edge of the final 3 outs to will himself to victory. He was a very effective closer for the Sox, but I don't know that he is as effective of a set-up guy for whatever reason. I have no stat to back me up on that.  

• Thanks 2

Just now, Chisoxfn said:

I don't love Colome as a non-closer though. He feels like that guy who relies on the edge of the final 3 outs to will himself to victory. He was a very effective closer for the Sox, but I don't know that he is as effective of a set-up guy for whatever reason. I have no stat to back me up on that.  

And as I mentioned earlier, the shorter season likely masked the sharp decline he would see

1 minute ago, pcq said:

I think they over-paid for their market level and budget. They might only recover 50% of the contract value. Certainly a quality acquisition and statement going forward.

The Sox just raised the bar on closer $.  When they're all signed I think we'll agree they got the best quality per $.   Ofc, there be a chicken/egg debate as well. lol 

3 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

I think that's completely fair.

1 hour ago, vilehoopster said:

I know you see yourself as the smary, intellectual guy who points out to all of us the errors of our ways. To try to win your argument, you start with "your reality versus reality".

I gave a reality: Hendriks has blown twice as many saves the last two years: hard, total reality, not my reality. The point of my argument (which I have since abandoned to cheer Hendrik's arrival with the Sox), is that people get caught up in minor statistics to the point of ignoring the most important statistics like save percentage and winning the game. (See, this is what the idoim/metaphor "not seeing the forest for the trees" means.)  

My point about winning deserves the most importance (over other statistics, worse than "damn liars") is absolutely true. Winning the game and the World Series deserves tunnel vision, and this is a reality that most people on this forum share with me. 

I know you know what "seeing the forest for the trees" means. I just wanted to give you a dose of your own pseudo-intellectualism.

Like when you try to explain tunnel vision to me. I know, why don't you tell me I'm incorrectly using "overkill"', even though the guy used it perfectly correctly.  

You do realize that several other people are calling you out on this, right? Instead of acknowledge this, you resort to ad hominem. I'm pointing out the error of your ways, not anyone else's. Stay focused. 

You responded with several long paragraphs yet added absolutely nothing to the conversation except simplification and contradiction with no actual cointerpoints. It's less about me being "smart" and more about you not appearing to be so.

You have been hit with several points that disprove your absurd notion that stats don't matter (despite basically providing one yourself) and yet you cannot counter them.

One closer's worth on a team vs. another doesn't come down to just saves. There are other elements, which have been brought up and you have simply ignored them. You're wrong. There is no way around this. Sorry.

I never claimed I was being "smart," that was you projecting your insecurity is what I would surmise. Not sure why anyone who is arguing with someone ever needs to claim the other person is claiming to be of a certain intelligence. And I didn't. I was just applying common sense. Sorry if that is a threat to you because you are refusing to do so.

Edited by RagahRagah

• Tony unpinned this topic