DH Options

So now that the food guys were right about Hendriks, and the Sox have locked up their closer and solidified the pen, I think they have 2 main needs, a backend starter and a DH. 

I think there are a lot of options for the DH that would work, guys like LaStella (who has fans here), Adam Duvall, Jake Lamb, CJ Cron, Mitch Moreland, Jed Gyorko.  All those guys kind of fit the bill.   I don't think the team is looking at anyone long term for this spot, and obviously are probably looking for someone on the cheap.  

I think of all the choices though, my favorite, and the one that I hope the Sox pursue, is Eddie Rosario.  He is a LH power bat, that will likely give an OPS around .800.  I think he is the best bet to give you reliable production out of all the guys I mentioned, and more than a lot of trade options.  I have no idea what his contract would look like, I would have guessed cheap after being non tendered, but maybe the Schwarber deal is a rough benchmark?  I think having a guy you can expect to hit 25 hrs, 25 doubles and hit .270  hitting what 5-6-7, would be pretty great.  I think he is the next guy I would target.  

Obviously Vaughn is a huge factor here as well, and maybe the Sox think he is ready, I just have no idea and I don't want to assume he is ready after the weirdness of last year.  

Anyway, who do you want to DH?

3 minutes ago, mac9001 said:

I wouldn't spend a dollar on a DH. Spend it on starting pitching and fill DHs ABs internally. I'm content with Leury at DH if we can get a solid vet SP. Between Eloy, Yermin, Vaughn, Collins and Abreu we can fill DH ABs.

Agreed 100%, unless they can add LaStella to be the super sub and cycle in that DH spot...but commit to Vaughn from June on. his draft report said he was almost MLB ready on day one....just do it. Save your money for SP, or a Lynn extension. 

Edited by EloyJenkins
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, mac9001 said:

I wouldn't spend a dollar on a DH. Spend it on starting pitching and fill DHs ABs internally. I'm content with Leury at DH if we can get a solid vet SP. Between Eloy, Yermin, Vaughn, Collins and Abreu we can fill DH ABs.

Edited by DoUEvenShift
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

I'd be very happy with adding a depth player like La Stella and utilizing a rotating DH but Reinsdorf seems to love buying Closers and DHs.  I almost expect us to sign a full time DH.  

La Stella's got enough savvy and skill to be full time DH when not IF platooning.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

If you're not putting that money towards Bauer, you should have enough for both with how many options there are.

If the budget is $15M I'd rather spend 100% on a pitcher than say a 10/5 split. Go get the best SP with all the budget money left. 

• Like 1

My main concern with La Stella is that he has never had more than 360 PA in a season.  He has hit more than 6 HR once.  He has hit more than 15 doubles once.  And while he hasn't been bad against LHP, he has 249 career ABs against lefties.  In 7 seasons.  

I know he has a lot of versatility, which is a huge plus.  He walks a bit, which is good.  Obviously I have no idea wh at he will cost, he may be pretty cheap.  What are people thinking?  4 million?  I haven't looked into any deeper stats, and I know he is a bit of a favorite around here, but can someone sell me on him.  Can we expect a season more like 2019 as opposed to 2018?  Why?  

Other than the walks, he looks similar to a less versatile version of Leury.  If you normalize their careers by 162 games (which neither guy ever plays), their number (aside from walks) are pretty close.  19 2b, 4 3b, 9 HR 15 SB 21 BB for Leury (.257/.293/.360) and  22 2b, 1 3b, 9 HR 2 SB and 44 BB for La Stella (.274/.349/.405) .  It obviously isn't a perfect comp, and I don't mean it to be one, but he seems like an odd guy to be the board favorite.  

If you could, please help me understand why he is that favorite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mac9001 said:

I wouldn't spend a dollar on a DH. Spend it on starting pitching and fill DHs ABs internally. I'm content with Leury at DH if we can get a solid vet SP.

Let me just say that I, 1000% agree that the money the Sox have left should definitely be on a SP. No questions asked. But let's not try and "Mark Kotsay" the DH problem either as far as rotation. I mean Leury Garcia? c'mon. I

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Let me just say that I, 1000% agree that the money the Sox have left should definitely be on a SP. No questions asked. But let's not try and "Mark Kotsay" the DH problem either as far as rotation. I mean Leury Garcia? c'mon. I

The DH is going to be either Vaughn or some combo of Collins/Leury/cheap LH FA(La Stella?) 

Leury rakes against LHP so Collins/Leury might be ok as a DH platoon until Vaughn proves he is or isn't ready. If those guys suck, then rent someone at the TDL. That would mean they need a defensively capable backup catcher though, preferably a RH hitter. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The DH is going to be either Vaughn or some combo of Collins/Leury/cheap LH FA(La Stella?) 

Leury rakes against LHP so Collins/Leury might be ok as a DH platoon until Vaughn proves he is or isn't ready. If those guys suck, then rent someone at the TDL. That would mean they need a defensively capable backup catcher though, preferably a RH hitter. 

Sorry but I can't see them starting the MLB clock on Vaughn based on a 50 AB resume in AA ball.  There's no history that the Sox would do that.  And what a mess if he struggles.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

Sorry but I can't see them starting the MLB clock on Vaughn based on a 50 AB resume in AA ball.  There's no history that the Sox would do that.  And what a mess if he struggles.

You can't treat last season like Andrew Vaughn did nothing.  The typical movement would have seen Vaughn go from High A to AAA by the end of the year.  His normal spot this year would be either breaking camp after signing an extension or coming up in a month without one.  He did go to the Covid camp and did get a ton of experience against high end talent and pitching.  That also can't be ignored.  The Sox know better than anyone if he is ready or not.  They will tip their hand over the course of the next month or so with one simple action.  Do they sign a DH or not.  if not, they think Vaughn is ready.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

You can't treat last season like Andrew Vaughn did nothing.  The typical movement would have seen Vaughn go from High A to AAA by the end of the year.  His normal spot this year would be either breaking camp after signing an extension or coming up in a month without one.  He did go to the Covid camp and did get a ton of experience against high end talent and pitching.  That also can't be ignored.  The Sox know better than anyone if he is ready or not.  They will tip their hand over the course of the next month or so with one simple action.  Do they sign a DH or not.  if not, they think Vaughn is ready.

From December;

‘‘If Andrew had had daily competition outside of what we were able to do in Schaumburg, it would have been evident to everyone that he was ready for next year, if not sooner,’’ Hahn said after the season. ‘‘That was just sort of a mild casualty of the pandemic. But the skills are there; the tools continue to grow. He’s a remarkable hitter, real solid makeup and a guy we envision being part of this thing in the not-too-distant future.

‘‘The only hesitation is that he didn’t get a chance to play 120 games last year against outside competition".

Sounds to me like they're not quite comfortable bringing him up just yet.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rounding_Third said:

From December;

‘‘If Andrew had had daily competition outside of what we were able to do in Schaumburg, it would have been evident to everyone that he was ready for next year, if not sooner,’’ Hahn said after the season. ‘‘That was just sort of a mild casualty of the pandemic. But the skills are there; the tools continue to grow. He’s a remarkable hitter, real solid makeup and a guy we envision being part of this thing in the not-too-distant future.

‘‘The only hesitation is that he didn’t get a chance to play 120 games last year against outside competition".

Sounds to me like they're not quite comfortable bringing him up just yet.

Reads to me like they're planning a May or June call up for him

• Like 2