DH Options

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

My goodness how bad are you thinking Leary will be at DH? Adam LaRoche in 2015 was -1.2 fWAR mostly at DH. You’re talking Adam Dunn in 2011 bad!

Yeah, that was just an extreme calculation. I think more realistic for him would be like -0.5 war.

In 2019 miguel cabrera had -0.3 war with a 96 wrc+ and khris davis -1 with an 81 wrc+. Leury likely would be somewhere around that (90 wrc+ or so).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vulture said:

“It would have been evident to everyone that he would be ready next year, if not sooner.” Sounds like Hahn is saying he is ready to me.

Then he wouldn't have used phrases; "would have been" & "would be"; if you replace them with "is" then I agree. 

As a fan, I hope Vaughn crushes it and creates a great problem for the Sox. 

But, with my GM hat, I searched roughly 20 of today's best MLB players and can't find any who didn't spend at least one full and/or multiple partial seasons in the minors crushing it before getting their chance; aside from Abreu who built his phenomenal multi-year resume in the highly respected Cuban league.   

Anything's possible but history emphatically says he plays the entire 2021 in the minors.  Right or wrong, GM's are unwilling to jump start that service time clock without a substantial resume.  His college stats credit ran out on draft day and he's next level-ground zero (plus a few AB's).   And its possible that he could smash .350/.900 and still not get called up, its happened before.

They are also grooming him to be the next great Sox 1Bman.  Sitting him on the bench as DH doesn't get that done.   

Not taking anything away from his incredible talent & future; just being realistic about how orgs operate.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't see DH or backup catcher taking priority over another SP so I'm holding off on what happens there until then.

Definitely agree about SP is 1st priority.  But I think LH DH is pretty close.  Our 2020 sub .500 (-4) record against RH starters and our limited # of LH bats is a little concerning. 

I would rank priority;

SP - 1a

LH DH - 1b

Backup C - 3

28 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

MARCELL OZUNA - Step on every American League team’s throats

Yep. I wouldn't mind trying to get guys on short term deals to try and win one or two quickly. We also need to injury proof our team, so having more than necessary will help us to avoid injury slumps. I think we should be closely monitoring the Michael Brantley situation. If he can only get a one or two year deal we need to get him here. He can DH as a lefty, and fill in for Eloy when he injures himself running. Vaughn can spend the year in the minors and play more next year. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

Yep. I wouldn't mind trying to get guys on short term deals to try and win one or two quickly. We also need to injury proof our team, so having more than necessary will help us to avoid injury slumps. I think we should be closely monitoring the Michael Brantley situation. If he can only get a one or two year deal we need to get him here. He can DH as a lefty, and fill in for Eloy when he injures himself running. Vaughn can spend the year in the minors and play more next year. 

I believe JR has planned to go all-in for the big last hurrah of his ownership.  I don't believe TL would have exited retirement except for his being promised a loaded team.  With free agency and trade markets moving slowly...this is one year we fans can dream as big as we desire IMO.  

18 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I believe JR has planned to go all-in for the big last hurrah of his ownership.  I don't believe TL would have exited retirement except for his being promised a loaded team.  With free agency and trade markets moving slowly...this is one year we fans can dream as big as we desire IMO.  

Really? We better be getting Bauer, then.

Just now, manbearpuig said:

Based on?

Being a very bias fan who would love to see it.  Secondly, Bauer would only take us up into the 150s which is doable in JR's current mindset.  Lastly, I don't think Bauer is going to be quite as expensive as we first thought.  RH is very creative if he wants a guy bad enough.  I'm not predicting it...just saying it wouldn't surprise me.

3 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Being a very bias fan who would love to see it.  Secondly, Bauer would only take us up into the 150s which is doable in JR's current mindset.  Lastly, I don't think Bauer is going to be quite as expensive as we first thought.  RH is very creative if he wants a guy bad enough.  I'm not predicting it...just saying it wouldn't surprise me.

Have a hard time believing this when they have never signed anyone to a 9-figure deal.

13 minutes ago, poppysox said:

We have no idea what Jerry is thinking for payroll.

• Thanks 1

The team is not built for a final hurrah. The Sox are in good shape for many years to come.  Sox fans are excited.

No amount of talent will guarantee a championship.  They can stand pat as far as additional  trades or acquisitions and I will be happy.

54 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

The only way we get Bauer is if his market craters or he likes us so much he will take a two year deal. We are probably gonna either sign Kluber/Q or trade for a number 3. 

Not to worry, I was only being facetious. Wish I didn't have to be, though.