DH Options

11 minutes ago, tray said:

The team is not built for a final hurrah. The Sox are in good shape for many years to come.  Sox fans are excited.

No amount of talent will guarantee a championship.  They can stand pat as far as additional  trades or acquisitions and I will be happy.

Agreed. They have carefully acquired players to give themselves a number of chances at the playoffs. That will be much more effective than trading everything for a single shot. Baseball is just too random  over the course of the season. The best team on paper doesn't always win.

12 minutes ago, tray said:

The team is not built for a final hurrah. The Sox are in good shape for many years to come.  Sox fans are excited.

No amount of talent will guarantee a championship.  They can stand pat as far as additional  trades or acquisitions and I will be happy.

True but usually to win a title in a given year you want to either have made the playoffs a lot prior to, have super stud pitching, or enter the season as a top three team in baseball. Talent won't guarantee championships, but the teams that have the most typically win. 

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

Agreed. They have carefully acquired players to give themselves a number of chances at the playoffs. That will be much more effective than trading everything for a single shot. Baseball is just too random  over the course of the season. The best team on paper doesn't always win.

There is no best team in baseball in a given year because offensively one player can't carry you. Pitchers can, but they impact too few games individually. The top three teams in baseball in a given year typically win it all. 

2 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

There is no best team in baseball in a given year because offensively one player can't carry you. Pitchers can, but they impact too few games individually. The top three teams in baseball in a given year typically win it all. 

That's at the end of the season. The paper teams now and before the season don't always line up that way. I would agree that the top 3 teams at the end of the season usually win it but again it's usually not always.

On 1/13/2021 at 8:49 PM, ptatc said:

Yes. Making the playoffs multiple years is the best way. Even the best team in baseball only has like a 25% chance to win the WS.

Sometimes it can take a while like the dodgers or even the Nats (who had multiple first round losses) but eventually there is a good chance to win one if you make the playoffs 6 times in a 7 year window (not guaranteed either like you see with the yankees though who made the playoffs 5 times in 6 years and made no WS).

There is of course also the other side when a fluky team immediately makes it or the giants who usually lost the division to the dodgers but still managed 3 WS.

But generally the best approach is trying to have a 5-7 year window and hope that you get lucky once or twice I you are really lucky.

Statistically a team who has a strong 6 year window should win about 1 WS (if you consider all 6 division winners have about the same chance to win the WS).

The sox will also need to make some trades for injury replacement so it is good to keep some trade capital.

I think the sox only need a 4th starter now and they are good to go. Sure getting laStella would be a nice luxury and bauer would make them a super team on par with the dodgers but they are already favored to win the division.

• Like 1

It would make for a pretty good pool to guess the opening day DH right now. There are so many variables, like whether we will sign somebody or whether we will work out an extension with Vaughn. Even the opposing pitcher for opening day would be an important variable. If you guys had to predict a name right now on January 15, who would you guess?

51 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

It would make for a pretty good pool to guess the opening day DH right now. There are so many variables, like whether we will sign somebody or whether we will work out an extension with Vaughn. Even the opposing pitcher for opening day would be an important variable. If you guys had to predict a name right now on January 15, who would you guess?

I was hoping Dahl would still be available. I was surprised he signed so early because I thought for sure with his injury it would take longer. I thought he undersold himself and at $2.7M he would be the best choice since I am seriously doubting the Sox spend much more money after the Hendriks signing and $18M cap hit.

Mitch Moreland makes the most sense to me now. But I'm not certain the Sox address a strictly DH option.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if Nick Williams is an option here. Sox just signed him, he’s a lefty bat that can play the OF and is 2 years removed from double digit HR numbers. If the Sox go super cheap at DH, it wouldn’t shock me if they try to pull another Cody Asche 2.0 with this guy.

They signed him today?

10 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

Yes, according to Bob Nightengale.

I saw that, too, and was wondering why they signed another outfielder.  He had a decent 2018.  He'll make $900K if he makes it to the MLB roster.  I could understand he being a possibility at DH/sub/filler until Vaughn is ready.

38 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if Nick Williams is an option here. Sox just signed him, he’s a lefty bat that can play the OF and is 2 years removed from double digit HR numbers. If the Sox go super cheap at DH, it wouldn’t shock me if they try to pull another Cody Asche 2.0 with this guy.

Just came here to say that since as i just said I doubt the Sox address the DH position with any significant money. I say it and voila ,the Nick Williams signing occurs.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

12 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I saw that, too, and was wondering why they signed another outfielder.  He had a decent 2018.  He'll make $900K if he makes it to the MLB roster.  I could understand he being a possibility at DH/sub/filler until Vaughn is ready.

IDK, his numbers digressed the next 2 years.  Big K rate, too.  Wonder if he had a weakness exposed.  Low risk for sure, though.

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Just came here to say that since as i just said I doubt the Sox address the DH position with any significant money. I say it and voila ,the Nick Williams signing occurs.

I think they are expecting Vaughn to be the DH/1B after a month or so. That means a high priced DH shouldn't be an option.

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Just came here to say that since as i just said I doubt the Sox address the DH position with any significant money.

If predictions are true, La Stella at 2/14 is pretty cheap for what he can do.  In essence, 2 players for the price of 1. He's such a perfect Sox fit, can't believe its not done already. 

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

I think they are expecting Vaughn to be the DH/1B after a month or so. That means a high priced DH shouldn't be an option.

But many here think the Sox will or should spend money on it and a FA starting pitcher and a backup catcher whereas I'm thinking we see very little spent from this point forward .

Just have a hunch, LaRussa being old school isn't looking for a rotating DH.   Just like he got his way with a lockdown closer, he's going to get a DH. 

With each passing day, If that Nelson Cruz prize tag drops to the $10 million range for one season, you have to make a play.   The guy still posted elite numbers last season.  

I have no problem Vaughn getting a full Minor League season under his belt.  

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

But many here think the Sox will or should spend money on it and a FA starting pitcher and a backup catcher whereas I'm thinking we see very little spent from this point forward .

Many people here always think they should spend more. It's just the natural inclination. However reality is that the sox seem to think that Vaughn was nearly ready last year so there doesn't seem to be any reason to think that he will be the option for the majority of the year.

A FA pitcher is an option but as we discussed in the other thread, reality is they have a budget and the pitcher won't be a high priced one.

4 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Just have a hunch, LaRussa being old school isn't looking for a rotating DH.   Just like he got his way with a lockdown closer, he's going to get a DH. 

With each passing day, If that Nelson Cruz prize tag drops to the $10 million range for one season, you have to make a play.   The guy still posted elite numbers last season.  

I have no problem Vaughn getting a full Minor League season under his belt.  

I could see La Stella getting >=75% of his AB's as DH.  Sit him against LHP with Eloy DH and Engel LF.

2 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Many people here always think they should spend more. It's just the natural inclination. However reality is that the sox seem to think that Vaughn was nearly ready last year so there doesn't seem to be any reason to think that he will be the option for the majority of the year.

A FA pitcher is an option but as we discussed in the other thread, reality is they have a budget and the pitcher won't be a high priced one.

Right and I certainly am not trying to make that discussion stop and I'd be happy to be wrong but I think any remaining money is going to the pitcher we trade for.