DH Options

23 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

They aren't ever going to come close to that CBT because that's the reality of the White Sox and Covid. They took the tax hit with the Hendriks contract for the 1st 3 years at $18M per year to save on the back end. We are saying they are pretty well maxed out on their payroll according to the luxury tax figures to the payroll not the actual hit to the payroll except for any salary we add for the remaining SP we should acquire and that's more likely to come via trade because of our CBT payroll this year. The Sox will operate now because the payroll is $160M for luxury tax purposes not $131M.

Sure but this is a good way to look down the road with.  If we really do spend the next 5 years playing up to our capacity like we all think can be done, and we start averaging 30 to 35k a year at the park, which allows ownership to approach that luxury tax number in real payroll, we will be on the backside of those contracts which will give us luxury tax saving meaning we will be able to have a payroll way over our luxury tax number, without paying luxury taxes.  We aren't really thinking about 2021 with these deals, we are thinking of having operating room in 23, 24, 25, etc.

I predict we sign La Stella or Choo. La Stella makes a ton of sense if they're not bringing Garcia back next year. Both give them flexibility for when Vaughn is ready and will afford them the ability to Sign Quintana or a starter in the same range. 

6 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Again, I can't believe that we've collectively moved on from the annual courtship of Joc Pederson. Brantley seems to be the new darling, but I like Joc more (can spell CF if Robert needs any time off), better OFer with more versatility. And I don't hear his name in rumors for ANY team anymore, crazy.

I think we've mostly accepted that fact that the pursuit of higher end FA's is over, given the current Sox payroll.   

1 hour ago, Rounding_Third said:

I think we've mostly accepted that fact that the pursuit of higher end FA's is over, given the current Sox payroll.   

Which, if you put it into perspective, the Sox only got 1. And while that one is fantastic, overall I'd say it was less than we were hoping for.

3 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Which, if you put it into perspective, the Sox only got 1. And while that one is fantastic, overall I'd say it was less than we were hoping for.

Arguably, you could add Lynn to the total even though it was a trade.  I'm still holding out for a little "filling of the corners" as hobbits like to say, with some low cost, decent ceiling signings.