Backup Catcher

Blackout Friday

Just now, poppysox said:

I would be fine with either.  Collins wouldn't be getting enough work for his development IMO.  

That would be my concern.  He might get some reps at DH, too, but I still don't think he's get enough playing time for development.

A veteran signing for someone who can come in and be a serviceable backup now makes the most sense.  There are quite a few free agents available.  I like the idea of Flowers, Avila, Castro, Molina, Ramos, Chirinos, etc.  Most of the top free agents could and should be getting starting jobs.  If the Sox do pick up a free agent, I expect someone more like Suzuki, Romine, or Phegley.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

McCann was rated is a top 10 catcher on MLB.com yesterday. I was among those that really wanted him back, but it's obvious that was a pipe dream lol. He deserved a starting job.

By Shredder or one of the guys hosting the segment ? Grandal was #2 with the Shredder.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

McCann was rated is a top 10 catcher on MLB.com yesterday. I was among those that really wanted him back, but it's obvious that was a pipe dream lol. He deserved a starting job.

That’s reflective of one of my biggest problems with these rankings. I believe that his ranking is in large part due to the contract he just signed and that he signed it with the Mets. If he stayed on as the Sox backup catcher (never would have happened), I don’t think they would have rated him in the top 10. 

These rankings ARE fun - just not really indicative of much. 

(this post has no bearing on my opinion of whether he actually is top 10 or not) 

I can't get the idea of going after Yadier Molina out of my head. Obviously I bet he would rather retire a Cardinal but maybe there is a possibility he signs with us with TLR at the helm. This would allow us to comfortably rotate the DH spot by having Grandal there from time to time like last season. Yeah hes 38 and had putrid offensive numbers last season, but he would be a great tool to have for Kopech, Cease, and any pitcher who doesnt throw well with Grandal (Giolito for example). Cardinals rotations were always good.

Think a 1 year, 6 million dollars is a fair offer here. 

On 1/13/2021 at 6:17 AM, ScooterMcGee said:

He was. And the White Sox starting catcher was #2 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

I was hoping he could have been one we would have been possibly in on. Leaves Flowers? Doubt Molina is a candidate even for TLR.

Is it so bad to just give Collins a shot?

Along with Flowers, also Avila, Romine, & Wieters lead a long list.

If Collins had showed something, maybe, but his entire game was really bad.  He's better than that.  He needs to work it out and won't sitting on the bench for most of the season.

18 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

I was hoping he could have been one we would have been possibly in on. Leaves Flowers? Doubt Molina is a candidate even for TLR.

Is it so bad to just give Collins a shot?

His best shot may be with an organization at this point. Trade him to like Pittsburgh or somewhere where he can catch most of the time. Maybe get some 1B at bats without Bell there.

2 hours ago, reiks12 said:

I can't get the idea of going after Yadier Molina out of my head. Obviously I bet he would rather retire a Cardinal but maybe there is a possibility he signs with us with TLR at the helm. This would allow us to comfortably rotate the DH spot by having Grandal there from time to time like last season. Yeah hes 38 and had putrid offensive numbers last season, but he would be a great tool to have for Kopech, Cease, and any pitcher who doesnt throw well with Grandal (Giolito for example). Cardinals rotations were always good.

Think a 1 year, 6 million dollars is a fair offer here. 

As a lifelong Cardinals fan, I love Molina.  That being said, I don't know that his ego will allow him to sign anywhere as a backup.  He still sees himself as the starter and recently said that if he doesn't get the contract he wants, he may retire.  I don't think that actually happens and I think he will ultimately come to terms with the Cardinals, but I suppose if he were to ever consider taking a role as a backup it would be for Tony.

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

If anything, I think we should be targeting players who mash against righties

Except at catcher, I'd prefer righty C, believe its best to give Grandal off days against LHP since his bat is vital against RHP.  That being said, would love Avila for his still great D.