Now or Later?

Texsox

I'm interested in what y'all think. Perhaps the premise is faulty,  but assume we have the flexibility to make one or two more roster moves. Do you think making that move now with the perceived need or in season when the need is known is better? 

I'm not unhappy with going into the season with this lineup and some room to address a need. The downside is those in season trades from the haves to the have nots is costlier. 

I say now because it gives us the flexibility to trade to fill those holes or just use the money to buy free agents without giving up talent. And trades now have every team on a level playing field - mid season tip a market (see: price of Quintana in December vs. the mid season trade).

If we wait until mid season, you're now stuck with making trades AND possibly paying a premium in talent return as those suitors have a more narrow market that plays to their advantage.

26 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I'm interested in what y'all think. Perhaps the premise is faulty,  but assume we have the flexibility to make one or two more roster moves. Do you think making that move now with the perceived need or in season when the need is known is better? 

I'm not unhappy with going into the season with this lineup and some room to address a need. The downside is those in season trades from the haves to the have nots is costlier. 

I’m inclined to feel pretty comfortable with this roster right now. They could probably use another pitcher, but also they could be very set on starters. 

Just now, mqr said:

I’m inclined to feel pretty comfortable with this roster right now. They could probably use another pitcher, but also they could be very set on starters. 

This is where most of us are as well I would think.  Another pitcher would be great but not essential.  We would like some clarity on the backup catcher and DH.  I still am hopeful that JR has a big surprise up his sleeve but we shall see.

Now.

We know without any doubt that there is money sitting on the sidelines waiting for more clarity, whether that's about fans being allowed in the stands or the complete overthrow of the US government. The Yankees, Red Sox haven't done a thing yet. There is a level of cheapness where you must expect they will act. Torotno hasn't yet done the big deal everyone expects. Houston may well not sit idly by and let their team take a step back. 

It is unlikely that all the free agents remaining will get substantially cheaper than they are right now. They may get a little cheaper, but there is also a risk of the price going up. Find a pitcher asking for a reasonable contract and get that dealt with.