Sign in to follow this  
maloney.adam

Foodies: Other Bullpen Depth Pieces

Wow who else are they looking at? As far as I'm concerned the only guy we should upgrade is Jace Fry.

Bullpen depth might make sense if Heuer is indeed packaged for a starter.  Seems pretty set otherwise to me.

8 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Wow who else are they looking at? As far as I'm concerned the only guy we should upgrade is Jace Fry.

Assuming Crochet opens the year in the minors, who is in the pen as of now? For 8 spots, you have Hendriks, Bummer (L), Marshall, Heuer, Foster, Fry (L) as the likely locks, probably a long-reliever/spot starter (not sure who would serve this role as of now as I also think Lopez opens the year in the minor as a middle-reliever), and then one more spot that as of now I guess could go to Ruiz or Cordero. I assume they will upgrade that spot or add a long-reliever.

Edit: just saw the new tweet, Not really news here as every team signs guys to minor league deals for bullpen depth.

Edited by manbearpuig
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Maybe this thread should be moved to the FutureSox board.

Eh. Personally, when I think "Future Sox," I think prospects. Not some quad-A reliever. It's probably fine here.

Edited by manbearpuig
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Eh. Personally, when I think "Future Sox," I think prospects. Not some quad-A reliever.

Your right its probably better to keep it in here. I’m thinking long relief for the added bullpen depth. 

• Like 1

The Sox seem to have guys with big arms and control problems on these types of deals. 

Don't see the point in shopping Lopez. We won't get anything. Might as well see if a new pitching coach can unlock something. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Capital G said:

Don't see the point in shopping Lopez. We won't get anything. Might as well see if a new pitching coach can unlock something. 

The point is the budget. Any fat you can cut will help open up money for additional players, i.e. La Stella, SP etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

The point is the budget. Any fat you can cut will help open up money for additional players, i.e. La Stella, SP etc. 

Good point. That’s most likely what this is.

44 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Sox seem to have guys with big arms and control problems on these types of deals. 

It actually ends up being a lot of small arms but we notice the quantifiable 99mph

"Competitive major league team looking to add bullpen depth"

Cheesy beef really going out on a limb here... I still don't buy that this guy knows anything. 

• Like 2

On 1/13/2021 at 6:28 PM, Tnetennba said:

Bullpen depth might make sense if Heuer is indeed packaged for a starter.  Seems pretty set otherwise to me.

I think this is correct.

On 1/13/2021 at 5:30 PM, maloney.adam said:

Maybe this thread should be moved to the FutureSox board.

aka dumpster diving

lol

1 hour ago, joesaiditstrue said:

aka dumpster diving

lol

You say this like it is a bad thing.  They aren't going to sign 10 major league contracts for the pen.  Some of these guys will need to be on MiLB deals to get them into the system as depth.  Guys want chances, and no one is signing to be the 11th guy in a pen, if they have a chance to be the 5th guy somewhere else.

• Thanks 1

Nick Tropeano is a guy I would like to see the Sox sign in the 'dumpster diving' tier of free agents.