Pitchers and Catchers Report

hi8is

1 hour ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Who do you think Madrigal gets traded for?

I was mostly referring to the Burnes rumor that has been spreading both here and on Twitter, but I get the sense that they're looking to move him for any #3 or better & controlled SP. But I guess if I had to guess, it would be Burnes

16 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I was mostly referring to the Burnes rumor that has been spreading both here and on Twitter, but I get the sense that they're looking to move him for any #3 or better & controlled SP. But I guess if I had to guess, it would be Burnes

I like Madrigal, but if you can use him as the centerpiece to get Burnes, that’s a trade you have to make.

1 hour ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I like Madrigal, but if you can use him as the centerpiece to get Burnes, that’s a trade you have to make.

Absolutely. That's why I'm kind of skeptical about that deal, because it seems like it's not enough. At the same time, it's tough for me to think of a realistic target that makes more sense

10 hours ago, Blackout Friday said:

I find it fascinating how many people want to make bad trades. 

Bad in the sense they’re unreasonable to expect a madrigal centered trade to be enough to compel the Brewers to trade the vastly more valuable Burnes or Woodruff I have to assume you mean.

• Haha 1

On 1/16/2021 at 4:52 PM, Vulture said:

Bad in the sense they’re unreasonable to expect a madrigal centered trade to be enough to compel the Brewers to trade the vastly more valuable Burnes or Woodruff I have to assume you mean.

He means trading important players from the major league roster or top prospects for a player whose equal is available in free agency for only money.

Matt Spiegel noted a rumored target date to allow partial fan attendance into Chicago stadiums is August 1, 2021. 

Im assuming Jerry will push for an July 23 or 30 MLB Opening Day and have the Sox open on the road, and an August 2 home opener if that is the case.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

5 hours ago, poppysox said:

He means trading important players from the major league roster or top prospects for a player whose equal is available in free agency for only money.

I must have missed all the 24 year old ace upside starters available on the free agent market

25 minutes ago, Vulture said:

I must have missed all the 24 year old ace upside starters available on the free agent market

The "ace upstart" with the lifetime 4.48 era.  I get he has potential and we might make a trade even up for a Vaughn type.  No way are we making 3 or 4 to 1 trades for a #4 rotation piece.  Frankly...I would prefer Mike Leake and give up nobody.

3 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Matt Spiegel noted a rumored target date to allow partial fan attendance into Chicago stadiums is August 1, 2021. 

Im assuming Jerry will push for an July 23 or 30 MLB Opening Day and have the Sox open on the road, and an August 2 home opener if that is the case.

I think it will be earlier than that. They are saying vaccines should be available to all the public by April, I'd bet they start allowing fans in by June

5 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

I think it will be earlier than that. They are saying vaccines should be available to all the public by April, I'd bet they start allowing fans in by June

God forbid he is right. His endless stream of Jerry vitriol is already bad enough. Sometimes it's called for but JR isn't the devil, he just rather make money than lose it ,rather than do what it takes to win a World Series. 2005 just reinforced Jerry's belief that it can be done with a little money and a lot of luck.

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Got to love this kind of attitude.  Makes me think well of each of these guys.

There may also be additional players who want to train / attend as well, but cannot due to MLB’s facility access protocols.

1 hour ago, aeichhor said:

Has there been a report of an agreement between MLB and the Players Association regarding COVID training protocols? Otherwise, these players are among the exceptions to restrictions issued by MLB on January 5th.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2021/01/05/mlb-threatens-discipline-for-teams-violating-facility-access-protocols/4142122001/

MLB informed clubs in their memo sent Monday that only three categories of players may access their facilities before the start of spring training:

• Players who have a permanent residence proximate to their facilities.
  • Players who require entry to the facility to receive medical care.
  • Players who have been approved to attend a club-organized mini-camp under the terms of the Basic Agreement
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2021 at 12:57 PM, flavum said:

Hard to believe the Sox will be working out in Anaheim two months from today, but nothing has changed yet. Hope the season is a go!

Arizona is the worst state for Covid weekly case rates in the US. I think we will see an agreement for at least a month delay within a few days. 

It was a weird feeling last year watching the last spring training game or two, knowing some sort of shutdown was coming.  Little did we know it would change everything.  I equate those last few games with the end of life as we knew it.

Now we'll get to watch the spring training games knowing there's light at the end of the tunnel.  I'm actually pretty positive about the future.  I think we'll see limited attendance early in the season (May?) and close to full capacity by late August/early September.  And we'll look back at spring training 2021 as when things really started to look better.

8 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

It was a weird feeling last year watching the last spring training game or two, knowing some sort of shutdown was coming.  Little did we know it would change everything.  I equate those last few games with the end of life as we knew it.

Now we'll get to watch the spring training games knowing there's light at the end of the tunnel.  I'm actually pretty positive about the future.  I think we'll see limited attendance early in the season (May?) and close to full capacity by late August/early September.  And we'll look back at spring training 2021 as when things really started to look better.

Wasn't our last ST game a really good appearance from Kopech?  It seems like years ago

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Wasn't our last ST game a really good appearance from Kopech?  It seems like years ago

Yeah, it was one of the last ones.  I remember telling my son that Kopech was hitting 100 with ease.

And it does seem like years ago.