Pitchers and Catchers Report

hi8is

On 1/21/2021 at 9:09 PM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

God forbid he is right. His endless stream of Jerry vitriol is already bad enough. Sometimes it's called for but JR isn't the devil, he just rather make money than lose it ,rather than do what it takes to win a World Series. 2005 just reinforced Jerry's belief that it can be done with a little money and a lot of luck.

JR is living rent free in his head

• Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 3:27 PM, ScooterMcGee said:

I think it will be earlier than that. They are saying vaccines should be available to all the public by April, I'd bet they start allowing fans in by June

I think there is potential for 25% available to attend starting right away. They are potentially going to limit crowds to 2,500 at spring training. If Arizona ends up alloweing that with a hotbed of covid, then come April 1, with all of our elderly and people at risk vaccinated, we should be opening up to at least 50% capacity, IMO. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheCommish said:

I think there is potential for 25% available to attend starting right away. They are potentially going to limit crowds to 2,500 at spring training. If Arizona ends up alloweing that with a hotbed of covid, then come April 1, with all of our elderly and people at risk vaccinated, we should be opening up to at least 50% capacity, IMO. 

Fully agree. However I did hear on the radio today they are expecting things to get bad again soon with these new strains blowing up all over. Son of a b**** man...will this ever end? Not only for normalcy but man...I'm so sick of hearing people dying from this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hogan873 said:

It was a weird feeling last year watching the last spring training game or two, knowing some sort of shutdown was coming.  Little did we know it would change everything.  I equate those last few games with the end of life as we knew it.

Now we'll get to watch the spring training games knowing there's light at the end of the tunnel.  I'm actually pretty positive about the future.  I think we'll see limited attendance early in the season (May?) and close to full capacity by late August/early September.  And we'll look back at spring training 2021 as when things really started to look better.

I went to a game in early March. It was my first time I was able to attend Spring Training, based on the fact Winter was typically my busiest time while working. Was really excited to see Robert and Keuchel for the first time, Robert didn't do anything at the plate, but Keuchel pitched well.

Like many Sox games, it was organically socially distant, with 3,233 tickets sold, and about 500-700 actually in the stands on a cloudy day with rare brief rain in Arizona. It's a nice complex, would definitely hit Spring Training in the future.

03102020-072.jpg

03102020-073.jpg

03102020-077.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/3/2021 at 11:01 AM, TheCommish said:

I don't think April is at all feasible and Lightfoot will be tough on allowing live attendance. I also would not expect to see Sox fans breaking down the doors to attend games. Give the players equal input and try to get games going by May. Some teams are not going to make much off of attendance this year. 

On 2/6/2021 at 10:37 AM, pcq said:

I don't think April is at all feasible and Lightfoot will be tough on allowing live attendance. I also would not expect to see Sox fans breaking down the doors to attend games. Give the players equal input and try to get games going by May. Some teams are not going to make much off of attendance this year. 

I disagree, I think fans are going to flock to live sporting events this year if they are able to attend. Sports fans have missed attending events for a full year and I know I would for sure be going if it's available. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

I disagree, I think fans are going to flock to live sporting events this year if they are able to attend. Sports fans have missed attending events for a full year and I know I would for sure be going if it's available. 

Yeah, I agree.  Especially those who have been vaccinated will be eager to go to sporting events, concerts, movies, etc.

Personally, I will be buying tickets as soon as fans can start attending.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TheCommish said:

One not everyone will feel safe. Two Sox fans never flock to the park. By fall we are going to need new vaccines. Your troubles are not over. 

27 minutes ago, pcq said:

One not everyone will feel safe. Two Sox fans never flock to the park. By fall we are going to need new vaccines. Your troubles are not over. 

People will feel safer, a lot safer.  There's no indication that new vaccines will be needed by fall.  The thought is that booster shots may be required annually.  So far, the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines are showing to be effective against newer strains.  That's not to say they will be effective against all strains, but so far it's encouraging.  Remember that the idea behind the vaccines is to prevent severe disease.  The majority of the population gets vaccinated, people can still get sick but will endure mild effects.  Hospitals aren't overrun and people stop dying.

Regardless, I believe the safest way to handle getting fans back into the ballparks is to require proof of the vaccine to attend.  I don't think they'll do that, but it makes sense.

38 minutes ago, pcq said:

Say By Fall we need new vaccines (I seriously doubt we will, as they've said the vaccine has been effective against most variants). They shut everything down again. Then what? More strain variants? More vaccines? You can't do this forever. 

Also, enough people will feel safe. Not everyone has to. I think the combination of this being the best team in decades, and people wanting to go out and see live sporting events...I think tickets will sell out with the capacity limits tbh

Edited by ScooterMcGee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Say By Fall we need new vaccines (I seriously doubt we will, as they've said the vaccine has been effective against most variants). They shut everything down again. Then what? More strain variants? More vaccines? You can't do this forever. 

It makes no sense to let this continue.  Things have to open up.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Before the vaccines were a reality, things looked really grim.  Now we have two vaccines approved (for emergency use) and several more coming within months.  Things look brighter today than they have in close to a year.  Going to a baseball game is going to be a reality this season.  Maybe not right away, but I can't imagine there no being at least limited fans by May.  Hopefully...

Edited by hogan873
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Baseball like all businesses can't stay closed indefinitely.  Let people who don't feel safe stay home.  Admit a person with proof of vaccination with whatever the politicians want to set as a safe % of capacity.  Continue safe practices and play ball. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, DoUEvenShift said:

If this is true it bodes well for fans at MLB Spring Training/Regular Season games. 

LFG! I tell you what, if I can somehow get the vac in the next three weeks I AM THERE.

Spring training is FUCKING AWESOME.  I've been 3 times now.  I wouldn't trade it for the world.  It's the best man.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

LFG! I tell you what, if I can somehow get the vac in the next three weeks I AM THERE.

Spring training is FUCKING AWESOME.  I've been 3 times now.  I wouldn't trade it for the world.  It's the best man.

How much weight can you gain in 3 weeks? Obesity will net you a spot in the next group. 

Probably shouldn't joke about jumping the line lol.