Pitchers and Catchers Report

hi8is

22 hours ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Say By Fall we need new vaccines (I seriously doubt we will, as they've said the vaccine has been effective against most variants). They shut everything down again. Then what? More strain variants? More vaccines? You can't do this forever. 

Also, enough people will feel safe. Not everyone has to. I think the combination of this being the best team in decades, and people wanting to go out and see live sporting events...I think tickets will sell out with the capacity limits tbh

17 hours ago, BigHurt3515 said:

As soon as I hear the White Sox will allow fans I am planning a trip to Chicago 

Business as usual by the end of the season lol. I know people are frustrated.

Hey guys just an FYI if you are trying to get spring training tickets. The Sox have not made tickets available or even announced a capacity but if you go to stubhub there are a number of games with tickets for sale. I wrote stubhub to make sure they were legit and stubhub told me they are 100% legit and the sellers that have them have relationships with the stadium and access to tickets before even an announcement. I purchased some. I noticed the Cubs announced that they are starting making tickets available to only season ticket holders in AZ so their tickets on StubHub are hundreds of dollars. Sox tickets might go up if they announce the same. 

EDIT: I called CamelBack Ranch and they are saying that those tickets are not real and impossible for people to have unless they are brokers!

Edited by Orlando
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Orlando said:

Hey guys just an FYI if you are trying to get spring training tickets. The Sox have not made tickets available or even announced a capacity but if you go to stubhub there are a number of games with tickets for sale. I wrote stubhub to make sure they were legit and stub hub told me they are 100% legit and the sellers that have them have relationships with the stadium and access to tickets before even an announcement. I purchased some. I noticed the Cubs announced that they are starting making tickets available to only season ticket holders in AZ so their tickets on StubHub are hundreds of dollars. Sox tickets might go up if they announce the same. 

You shouldn’t have a problem because it’s Spring Training but just a heads up, it’s always good to ask if the tickets are refundable or transferrable in case something does happen; especially with the situation we are in today. I know this is something you wouldn’t think to ask ahead of time but you wouldn’t want to be out of that money. I’ve been to Spring Training before and it’s totally a worthwhile experience! A lot of fun! Would just go to the stadiums and buy lawn seats. The sites are close to each other so it’s quite possible that you can make it to one game during the day and one game at night. You will enjoy it a lot and the warm weather! Have fun! 😀

Edited by maloney.adam

On 2/8/2021 at 4:15 PM, hogan873 said:

People will feel safer, a lot safer.  There's no indication that new vaccines will be needed by fall.  The thought is that booster shots may be required annually.  So far, the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines are showing to be effective against newer strains.  That's not to say they will be effective against all strains, but so far it's encouraging.  Remember that the idea behind the vaccines is to prevent severe disease.  The majority of the population gets vaccinated, people can still get sick but will endure mild effects.  Hospitals aren't overrun and people stop dying.

Regardless, I believe the safest way to handle getting fans back into the ballparks is to require proof of the vaccine to attend.  I don't think they'll do that, but it makes sense.

We are still learning about the vaccines and immunity. The mutant strains could be a problem. I am a touch leery about certain officials who want to outlaw protective measures. The fact is many people will not feel safe for a while. Right now it is difficult to make plans. Hope for the best.

On 2/9/2021 at 1:24 PM, poppysox said:

Proof of vaccination...safe distancing & masks...let people stay home that want to...set a reasonable capacity %...play ball.  

Poppy you understand that even being vaccinated isn't 100% effective much like a flu shot right?  Why should that be part of being able to go to a ball game?  I agree with you on everything else though.  Masks, social distancing, and a reasonable capacity should have people in parks very soon:).  P.S.  I'm not trying to turn this forum into a medical campaign...there's enough of that on social media....just curious on your thoughts since I feel you are one of the respected (and respectful) posters here (at least to me :))

• Haha 1

Yes, I do understand that vaccine is not 100% effective.  But most people will take a 90+% as an improvement over doing nothing.  Whatever it takes to get this economy up and going.  We simply cannot sit home for another year and watch business and people wither away.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

Yes, I do understand that vaccine is not 100% effective.  But most people will take a 90+% as an improvement over doing nothing.  Whatever it takes to get this economy up and going.  We simply cannot sit home for another year and watch business and people wither away.  

I agree, we can’t afford to watch businesses or people wither away. Something is better than nothing. I can’t even imagine what the economy will look like a year from now if there are still active restrictions in place a year from now. There comes a point where were going to have to live with the virus. 

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Like 1
  • Fire 1

55 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I agree, we can’t afford to watch businesses or people wither away. Something is better than nothing. I can’t even imagine what the economy will look like a year from now if there are still active restrictions in place a year from now. There comes a point where were going to have to live with the virus. 

That point is now. We're doing a good job getting the most vulnerable vacced.  Businesses are dying and losses are accelerating.  We have to be at least partially open this spring and summer.

10 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

That point is now. We're doing a good job getting the most vulnerable vacced.  Businesses are dying and losses are accelerating.  We have to be at least partially open this spring and summer.

Me and my fake heart are still waiting for our shots

3 hours ago, Wisebri224 said:

Poppy you understand that even being vaccinated isn't 100% effective much like a flu shot right?  Why should that be part of being able to go to a ball game?  I agree with you on everything else though.  Masks, social distancing, and a reasonable capacity should have people in parks very soon:).  P.S.  I'm not trying to turn this forum into a medical campaign...there's enough of that on social media....just curious on your thoughts since I feel you are one of the respected (and respectful) posters here (at least to me :))

The people sitting around you have some right to expect you did everything possible to not be a risk to them.  If I vaccinate...wear a mask...and practice safe distancing I have done everything in my power to protect you.  If you are still afraid to go to the game...stay home.  Depression is a life-threatening disease as well.  We really need to let adults make their own choices as long as they don't interfere with the rights of others.

• Like 2
  • Fire 2

46 minutes ago, poppysox said:

The people sitting around you have some right to expect you did everything possible to not be a risk to them.  If I vaccinate...wear a mask...and practice safe distancing I have done everything in my power to protect you.  If you are still afraid to go to the game...stay home.  Depression is a life-threatening disease as well.  We really need to let adults make their own choices as long as they don't interfere with the rights of others.

Sadly many people don't consider the safety of others to your degree.  And I agree with everything you wrote.  If you take the precautions, and by now we know a masked up socially distanced person at an outdoor event -- is not a super spreader.  In fact you could probably have 2/3 the stadium infected and you wouldn't get it because a) it's outside and b) you're vacced. 

The vaccines are fire.  They are one of the great feats in human history.  They killed COVID dead in Israel, which is a good test case for how they can work in larger western countries eventually.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

12 hours ago, poppysox said:

I think you misunderstood me.  I’m not afraid to go at all.  I just have friends who have been vaccinated and had terrible side effects like Bell’s palsy for nearly a month.  I’m not interested in being a guinea pig.  I choose at this point not to get the shot and don’t think I should be told to to attend a game.  I mask.  I distance.  I wash often.  I stay home when I don’t feel good.  I’m a high school teacher and have been in class everyday from the start of school.   I agree with your last statement as well that people shouldn’t mess with others rights as adults.  I appreciate and respect your feelings and hope you can understand mine as well.  Baseball is almost here!

Edited by Wisebri224
  • Thanks 2

On 2/9/2021 at 1:24 PM, poppysox said:

Proof of vaccination...safe distancing & masks...let people stay home that want to...set a reasonable capacity %...play ball.  

Can't do proof of vaccination, because the only people that could go are health care workers and people that have major health conditions. Those are the people that should stay away and let the healthy adults wear masks and socially distance themselves and things will be fine. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

Can't do proof of vaccination, because the only people that could go are health care workers and people that have major health conditions. Those are the people that should stay away and let the healthy adults wear masks and socially distance themselves and things will be fine. 

A lot more people will be vaccinated by April/May, not just health workers and at-risk folks.  However, I agree that we won't see a proof of vaccination requirements for game attendance.

25 minutes ago, TheCommish said:

You can add over 75 years old and where I live 65-year-olds.  That list is being expanded quickly.  In Arizona, the age groups tend to run a little older as well don't you think?  Since I meet all criteria they can do anything they want other than shut down for another year.  However, since it's obvious they will limit admittance, I suggested allowing vaccinated people who wear a mask and social distance as the most practical solution.