Sox & ReyLo settle at $2.1M

Sleepy Harold

Just now, SoCalChiSox said:

Now that the number is fixed, does this mean he can be traded now? 

Open up that 2m to help pay for something else.

He could have been traded before this, but if a team is worried about the money a lot, having the money firmed up can help. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Now that the number is fixed, does this mean he can be traded now? 

Open up that 2m to help pay for something else.

The Sox need guys like Lopez as a back up to the staff.  Anything you would replace him with would cost the same or more anyway.  What will be interesting is they already have some mechanical tweaks in mind, so if they can rebuild him at all, 2 million is nothing if they can get him anywhere close to his potential.  

This year is probably his make or break year, as his arb price will go up again next year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Sox need guys like Lopez as a back up to the staff.  Anything you would replace him with would cost the same or more anyway.  What will be interesting is they already have some mechanical tweaks in mind, so if they can rebuild him at all, 2 million is nothing if they can get him anywhere close to his potential.  

This year is probably his make or break year, as his arb price will go up again next year.

Katz is gonna have a lot of pressure on him.

4 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Might as well light 2.1 million on fire.  Whatever.  I'd have preferred to just non tender him.  The chances he turns into anything more than a shitty mopup guy are about 1/100.

Let's be real here, pretty much anyone who is going to play MLB for $2 million falls into one of two buckets.  Too young to get paid what they are worth, or back roster filler material.  There are pretty much zero players out there who you can go out and sign on the market for $2 million who you expect a lot out of.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Let's be real here, pretty much anyone who is going to play MLB for $2 million falls into one of two buckets.  Too young to get paid what they are worth, or back roster filler material.  There are pretty much zero players out there who you can go out and sign on the market for $2 million who you expect a lot out of.

All that's true and I'd still have rather just non tendered him.

• Like 1

I like having him.  It is worth it to have work with Katz to see if there is anything there.  And even if it doesn't get him to what we all hoped he could be, it is worth trying him out as a reliever, and worst case scenario as a guy to just eat up junk innings.  But I still have hope for him.  But I can be a blind optimist.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

You guys are underselling Reylo, if you take away his 2020 season and his bad starts from 2019, he’s actually been pretty good.

You could say that about any shitty pitcher. That being said, Lopez's peripherals have always been shitty since he's been in a Sox uni, so it's no surprise he regressed hard in 2019. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1