Garrett Richards to Boston, 1 year $10 million.

Chicago White Sox

I’m not a fan but I can see being a scout and wanting him. 95 mph fastball with a great slider and curve. Probably figure they can play with usage of stuff for different results.

Katz would have seen a lot of him so hopefully if he’s their guy he has confidence in him

• Like 1

Just now, bmags said:

I’m not a fan but I can see being a scout and wanting him. 95 mph fastball with a great slider and curve. Probably figure they can play with usage of stuff for different results.

Katz would have seen a lot of him so hopefully if he’s their guy he has confidence in him

Also someone they scouted extensively out of college 

2 hours ago, SoxAce said:

I'd honestly rather have Quintana. 

Yeah, I looked up Richards' stats last few years and he hasn't made more than 16 starts in 5 years. Quintana's had health issues as of late, but he's at least made around 30 starts consistently in the past few years. 

2 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

I don’t understand what’s so hard to understand. You pay him accordingly. If he wasn’t hurt all the time he’d make bank...

He will be entering his age 33 season. Since 2015 when we all thought Trayce Thompson was going to be a stud, he has pitched more than the 51 innings he threw last year once, and that was 76 innings. So really you are hoping for 70 innings, but probably getting 50. Why bother? How does that help you? Besides he is looking for decent money.

16 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He will be entering his age 33 season. Since 2015 when we all thought Trayce Thompson was going to be a stud, he has pitched more than the 51 innings he threw last year once, and that was 76 innings. So really you are hoping for 70 innings, but probably getting 50. Why bother? How does that help you? Besides he is looking for decent money.

I agree. I would rather pay for more innings with that rumored $8 mill. 

53 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I don’t know why a team would want to pay Richards to be in the injured list most of the time. 

I think you have to give him the benefit of the doubt that now his elbow issues have been addressed that perhaps he can stay heathy to a certain extent.  At $8M or so you’re not going to get a sure thing starter with any sort of ceiling.  It’s no doubt a roll of the dice, but that’s the range we’re likely playing in and short of a trade I’m not sure which free agent I’d prefer.  I’d go after Paxton if Reinsdorf was willing to “splurge”, but I think he gets more than Kluber did and that might cost us a bat like La Stella.  I can see the argument for Quintana, but I’d imagine he’s looking for a two year deal and that’s not a commitment I’m willing to make.  Would you rather have Chris Archer or Adam Wainwright over Richards?  Look, Jerry should just nut up and sign Bauer, but that ain’t happening after the Hendriks signing, so now we must decide whether to trade for someone impactful or sign a guy with question marks in free agency.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I think you have to give him the benefit of the doubt that now his elbow issues have been addressed that perhaps he can stay heathy to a certain extent.  At $8M or so you’re not going to get a sure thing starter with any sort of ceiling.  It’s no doubt a roll of the dice, but that’s the range we’re likely playing in and short of a trade I’m not sure which free agent I’d prefer.  I’d go after Paxton if Reinsdorf was willing to “splurge”, but I think he gets more than Kluber did and that might cost us a bat like La Stella.  I can see the argument for Quintana, but I’d imagine he’s looking for a two year deal and that’s not a commitment I’m willing to make.  Would you rather have Chris Archer or Adam Wainwright over Richards?  Look, Jerry should just nut up and sign Bauer, but that ain’t happening after the Hendriks signing, so now we must decide whether to trade for someone impactful or sign a guy with question marks in free agency.

Looking at Tanaka's numbers last night, I wouldn't be opposed to signing him for our 4th spot.