Garrett Richards to Boston, 1 year $10 million.

Chicago White Sox

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Tanaka is going to get a lot more than $8M per on a multi-year deal, so not exactly a perfect substitute for Richards in the area I’m expecting us to operate in financially.

He has good leverage with his Japan threat. I expect him to try for $14+

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Tanaka is going to get a lot more than $8M per on a multi-year deal, so not exactly a perfect substitute for Richards in the area I’m expecting us to operate in financially.

I wouldn't bet against Bauer or Tanaka.  JR is full of surprises these days.

23 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think you have to give him the benefit of the doubt that now his elbow issues have been addressed that perhaps he can stay heathy to a certain extent.  At $8M or so you’re not going to get a sure thing starter with any sort of ceiling.  It’s no doubt a roll of the dice, but that’s the range we’re likely playing in and short of a trade I’m not sure which free agent I’d prefer.  I’d go after Paxton if Reinsdorf was willing to “splurge”, but I think he gets more than Kluber did and that might cost us a bat like La Stella.  I can see the argument for Quintana, but I’d imagine he’s looking for a two year deal and that’s not a commitment I’m willing to make.  Would you rather have Chris Archer or Adam Wainwright over Richards?  Look, Jerry should just nut up and sign Bauer, but that ain’t happening after the Hendriks signing, so now we must decide whether to trade for someone impactful or sign a guy with question marks in free agency.

To me he is as reliable as Rodon and probably far more expensive.  It seems like most of what is out there wants a lot more money than what they eventually will get, but I do think, especially if they are playing a full seaon, people are really underestimating the innings. When and if Kopech is ready, it might behoove the Sox to go to a 6 man rotation for at least a little while. The Sox only have 3 guys that pitched more than 35 innings in 2020.  A couple guys might be able to ramp up to a normal workload, but you need to be careful and have reinforcements.  For a one year cheap guy I would much prefer JA Happ over Richards although he is a flyball pitcher. If you aren't going to go big, waiting it out and seeing who is left a week before spring training probably gets you the same class of pitcher at a bargain rate.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

To me he is as reliable as Rodon and probably far more expensive.  It seems like most of what is out there wants a lot more money than what they eventually will get, but I do think, especially if they are playing a full seaon, people are really underestimating the innings. When and if Kopech is ready, it might behoove the Sox to go to a 6 man rotation for at least a little while. The Sox only have 3 guys that pitched more than 35 innings in 2020.  A couple guys might be able to ramp up to a normal workload, but you need to be careful and have reinforcements.  For a one year cheap guy I would much prefer JA Happ over Richards although he is a flyball pitcher. If you aren't going to go big, waiting it out and seeing who is left a week before spring training probably gets you the same class of pitcher at a bargain rate.

I have more faith in Richards maintaining health now that he’s had TJS because it seems like the Angels mishandled his past elbow problems and simply delayed the inevitable.  I also feel that Richards has some untapped potential with the right pitching coach as weird as that is to say for a 32 year old pitcher, but physically there is a lot to like with his arsenal even if it has some flaws.

Guy has only pitched 198.2 innings since 2016.. Why should a contending team touch him ? Seems like a perfect fit for a rebuilding team to MAYBE flip at the deadline IF he stays healthy.

If were being cheap, give me Rick Porcello instead. Maybe we can get him to rebound, hes been healthy at least.

Since 2016

Richards- 3.6 BB/9 198.2 innings 2.59 SO/W

Porcello- 2.0 BB/9 851 innings 4.03 SO/W

Porcello is coming off a down year. 1-7 , 12 starts , 5.64 ERA and only made 10MM. 
Also, his FIP was 3.33 which was actually lower than his 2016 CY Young season of 3.40.

If were going to the bargin bin, get a guy who can provide innings, not an injury risk.  Since this is about Garrett Richards though, I'd stay far away from him .

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I think you have to give him the benefit of the doubt that now his elbow issues have been addressed that perhaps he can stay heathy to a certain extent.  At $8M or so you’re not going to get a sure thing starter with any sort of ceiling.  It’s no doubt a roll of the dice, but that’s the range we’re likely playing in and short of a trade I’m not sure which free agent I’d prefer.  I’d go after Paxton if Reinsdorf was willing to “splurge”, but I think he gets more than Kluber did and that might cost us a bat like La Stella.  I can see the argument for Quintana, but I’d imagine he’s looking for a two year deal and that’s not a commitment I’m willing to make.  Would you rather have Chris Archer or Adam Wainwright over Richards?  Look, Jerry should just nut up and sign Bauer, but that ain’t happening after the Hendriks signing, so now we must decide whether to trade for someone impactful or sign a guy with question marks in free agency.

Quintana could be had for $1-2M more and is a reliable inning eating #4. We need someone to eat some serious innings and Richards isn’t that.

5 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Quintana could be had for $1-2M more and is a reliable inning eating #4. We need someone to eat some serious innings and Richards isn’t that.

I get the argument, but I think he gets something like 2/$20M and I don’t want to commit $10M to Quintana for the 2022 season.  I’d rather gamble on Richards’ upside and then pivot to Lopez for innings if Kopech isn’t ready yet.

36 minutes ago, Ben Waffleson said:

Guy has only pitched 198.2 innings since 2016.. Why should a contending team touch him ? Seems like a perfect fit for a rebuilding team to MAYBE flip at the deadline IF he stays healthy.

If were being cheap, give me Rick Porcello instead. Maybe we can get him to rebound, hes been healthy at least.

Since 2016

Richards- 3.6 BB/9 198.2 innings 2.59 SO/W

Porcello- 2.0 BB/9 851 innings 4.03 SO/W

Porcello is coming off a down year. 1-7 , 12 starts , 5.64 ERA and only made 10MM. 
Also, his FIP was 3.33 which was actually lower than his 2016 CY Young season of 3.40.

If were going to the bargin bin, get a guy who can provide innings, not an injury risk.  Since this is about Garrett Richards though, I'd stay far away from him .

I think this is somewhat misleading.  Richards had a partial tear in his UCL back in 2016 and avoided TJS, which I think was a poor decision and simply delayed the inevitable.  I’m willing to gamble that he’s finally healthy with TJS now behind him and last year he was able to pitch a full workload (limited season I know).  I’m not expecting 200 innings out of the guy, but if I can get a 100 quality innings from him for ~$8M I’ll happily take that.  IMO, having Lopez and Stiever to a lesser degree allow us to gamble on a guy with a higher ceiling but more health risk.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I get the argument, but I think he gets something like 2/$20M and I don’t want to commit $10M to Quintana for the 2022 season.  I’d rather gamble on Richards’ upside and then pivot to Lopez for innings if Kopech isn’t ready yet.

Yes, that’s the scary part of a Richards signing. History tells us he’s bound to end up on the IR at some point.

If Q would take a 1+1 deal with a $1M buyout in year 2, I would absolutely do it.

31 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Kopech is physically ready. He is going to be on an innings limit because he hasn't pitched in 2 1/2 years. Depends on how they want to use those.

1 minute ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

Yes, that’s the scary part of a Richards signing. History tells us he’s bound to end up on the IR at some point.

If Q would take a 1+1 deal with a $1M buyout in year 2, I would absolutely do it.

I’d be more open to a deal with Quintana if a second year isn’t fully guaranteed, but I do worry he’s a guy whose stuff is so marginal now that he comes here and gives us innings but simply isn’t effective.

14 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Kopech is physically ready. He is going to be on an innings limit because he hasn't pitched in 2 1/2 years. Depends on how they want to use those.

I’m sure he’s ready physically, but I think they’ll send him down to Charlotte to start the year in order to let him ramp up slowly, shake some rust off, and buy back a year of control.  He should be part of the mix down the stretch and that’s part of the reason a guy like Richards makes sense.

53 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m sure he’s ready physically, but I think they’ll send him down to Charlotte to start the year in order to let him ramp up slowly, shake some rust off, and buy back a year of control.  He should be part of the mix down the stretch and that’s part of the reason a guy like Richards makes sense.

I agree. That's why I've said all along that they dont need another starter such as Bauer.

If the White Sox won't go $2 million above their target to get their top guy, they better not fail to get their #2 or #3 target. They are fine with time right now, and I doubt all these guys looking for 8 figures are going to have their dreams come true. I just hope the White Sox adopt trying to be the best they can be instead of just trying to be good enough to win the ALCentral. That has  not worked out well in the past. They are the only team in the division who has not gone on a multi year domination since the division was formed.

• Thanks 1