Garrett Richards to Boston, 1 year $10 million.

Chicago White Sox

5 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

Same for me.  When he was mentioned, I just glossed over his career, liked it, but said just  a comment or two.  Last night dug deeper and he blew me away with his 6+ inning consistency. 

He's a bullpen saver.  Just quietly gets the job done. 

I can see scenarios when he throws 6 or 7 innings ( a lot),  Sox have a 5 run lead, and let Kopech finish the last 2 or 3 innings.   

I think the Sox are better off now looking to trade for somebody else's ousted/depth SP (Yankees immediately come to mind) or try to sign a SP/RP bridge guy and look at bullpen days.  When Kopech comes up, they'll need another spot anyway, assuming the main 4 guys aren't hurt at that point.

Regardless, between Kopech, Stiever, and Crochet out of the pen, I am pretty content with SP depth from midseason on.  But the first half I think needs another 1-2 bodies IMO.

6 minutes ago, YourWhatHurts said:

I think the Sox are better off now looking to trade for somebody else's ousted/depth SP (Yankees immediately come to mind) or try to sign a SP/RP bridge guy and look at bullpen days.  When Kopech comes up, they'll need another spot anyway, assuming the main 4 guys aren't hurt at that point.

Regardless, between Kopech, Stiever, and Crochet out of the pen, I am pretty content with SP depth from midseason on.  But the first half I think needs another 1-2 bodies IMO.

I believe they'll have a max inning on Kopech.  I wouldn't expect him to finish the season if he's a regular 5 day starter and consistently goes >=5 innings in most starts.  Whether he comes up mid season or not, it doesn't matter, he'll still going to get shut down if he hits that number, whatever it may be.  Ironically, success will eventually shut him down.    

59 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Mike Leake would be an absolute abomination of a signing.  He is literally one of the worst starters when it comes to Statcast numbers and basically strikes no one out.  How anyone would prefer him over Richards is mind boggling to me.

His FIP generally floats around his ERA.  I'd gladly take a guy who will have a FIP around 3.9-4.5 and give me 170 innings than a guy who will have a FIPslightly lower, but only give me 50 innings. We don't have the depth to take a guy who can't take the ball for 3/4 of a season

Edited by Squirmin' for Yermin

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

His FIP generally floats around his ERA.  I'd gladly take a guy who will have a FIP around 3.9-4.5 and give me 170 innings than a guy who will have a FIPslightly lower, but only give me 50 innings. We don't have the depth to take a guy who can't take the ball for 3/4 of a season

I agree. Ironically, this team could really use 2018 James Shields (204 innings of a 4.5 ERA)

15 minutes ago, Rounding_Third said:

I believe they'll have a max inning on Kopech.  I wouldn't expect him to finish the season if he's a regular 5 day starter and consistently goes >=5 innings in most starts.  Whether he comes up mid season or not, it doesn't matter, he'll still going to get shut down if he hits that number, whatever it may be.  Ironically, success will eventually shut him down.    

If they are going to do an innings limit on it then I hope they are smarter about it, and look at stress of the innings as well as pitches thrown and pitch types.  If he's more efficient then he should be able to go longer.

6 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

His stuff has regressed over the years with his 4 seamer now sitting below 89 MPH and basically abandoning his sinker (and above average ground ball rate) for more 4 seamers & cutters.   Not the end all be all, but his xERA per Statcast in 2019 was 5.69.  The only thing the guy does that good is not walk anyone and I guess potentially eat innings.  He is a guy who’s probably on the brink of being destroyed by the league and I want zero part of him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YourWhatHurts said:

If they are going to do an innings limit on it then I hope they are smarter about it, and look at stress of the innings as well as pitches thrown and pitch types.  If he's more efficient then he should be able to go longer.

yeah agreed, prob more a pitch count by type than innings.  If (they) can successfully navigate this season then full speed, no limit in 2022.  That's why I would like to see him in the long reliever/spot start roles this year.  They can utilize him effectively while stretching out his season as long as possible.  Guessing maybe a stop at 130-150 innings whatever that pitch count would be.

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Good deal for Richards

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I can't believe they won't even do this. 

image.jpeg

Fuck...would have done that in a heartbeat.  Can’t wait to see what garbage starter we end up with. Might as well resign Gio Gonzalez or just burn $5M in a dumpster, because we’re likely getting trash.  Fucking cheap ass Reinsdorf.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I can't believe they won't even do this. 

image.jpeg

I am not a big fan so I am somewhat relieved that he signed elsewhere, but I guess that's predicated on the assumption we're going to do something better.

But I suppose that could be foolish of me.

Edited by RagahRagah

1 minute ago, SoCalChiSox said:

If they wouldn't do Q for 1/8, why do you think they'd pay 2m more?

At this point just give Wainwright like 4m and use the rest on a bat. 

StL would match that in a heartbeat.  The Wainwright rumor make absolutely no sense unless the Sox overpay so badly that StL says take him.

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

What do you guys think the White Sox rotation looks like on June 1st? 

I just hoped we'd spend a little extra to save prospects and upgrade the rotation. 

My guess is

Gio, Lynn, DK, Burnes type of trade, Kopech. 

I'm not sure Cease will get it done this year. 

38 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Fuck...would have done that in a heartbeat.  Can’t wait to see what garbage starter we end up with. Might as well resign Gio Gonzalez or just burn $5M in a dumpster, because we’re likely getting trash.  Fucking cheap ass Reinsdorf.

39 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The last 5 seasons say there is a real good chance this signing is burning 10 million in a dumpster fire.

• Fire 1

If they wanted to make a big trade I’d love to see them go for Jack Flaherty.  As a fan of both teams it’s a win-win for me 😁.  Sox get another great pitcher, who is controlled for a while and is friends with Giolito, and the Cardinals get some youth.  Wouldn’t be cheap for the Sox, but may be worth it.  I’m not sure the Cards would do it, but I’m at the point I think the Cardinals front office is pretty inept at this point.