Garrett Richards to Boston, 1 year $10 million.

Chicago White Sox

2 minutes ago, chetkincaid said:

Giolito

Lynn

Keuchel

Cease

Lopez

Ugh. This shows just how bad of shape our rotation is in. Even the addition of Lynn doesn't even seem like much. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if we don't add anything of significance to the rotation then the Lynn trade was a complete waste. Perhaps even a smokescreen?

29 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

Ugh. This shows just how bad of shape our rotation is in. Even the addition of Lynn doesn't even seem like much. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again: if we don't add anything of significance to the rotation then the Lynn trade was a complete waste. Perhaps even a smokescreen?

That doesn't make any sense. The rotation is better with Lynn regardless of what else is done. How is adding a good pitcher a smokescreen?

22 minutes ago, shakes said:

That doesn't make any sense. The rotation is better with Lynn regardless of what else is done. How is adding a good pitcher a smokescreen?

To shadow the fact they aren't going to work to make it well-rounded. As of now we still basically have 3 starters and 2 of them are likely for regression. They have to know we likely aren't going to be significantly better without at least 1 other quality starter. Which again, would makes the Lynn trade terrible if they aren't actually "going for it."

Edited by RagahRagah
  • Love 1

38 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

To shadow the fact they aren't going to work to make it well-rounded. As of now we still basically have 3 starters and 2 of them are likely for regression. They have to know we likely aren't going to be significantly better without at least 1 other quality starter. Which again, would makes the Lynn trade terrible if they aren't actually "going for it."

Sorry, still makes no sense. Regression isn't guaranteed with any of their pitchers. They are one pitcher better. I hope they get another, but as is they are still an AL contender, with multiple avenues to get better, and internal options - with a trade deadline to improve in season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shakes said:

Sorry, still makes no sense. Regression isn't guaranteed with any of their pitchers. They are one pitcher better. I hope they get another, but as is they are still an AL contender, with multiple avenues to get better, and internal options - with a trade deadline to improve in season.

I didn't say guaranteed, I said likely. And I am correct. You can't honestly say you don't see that. It absolutely makes sense because it is true.

High chance it's not enough to move the needle in the playoffs. We need another quastarter. 

Edited by RagahRagah

1 minute ago, shakes said:

I doubt Keuchel gives you a sub 2.00 ERA again. There is a decent chance Lynn regresses a little. The projections even seem to think Giolito might fall back some. But usually the projections are pretty conservative. Cease has great stuff. If he gets some command, he will be fine. Kopech looked great in spring training, but who knows how much rust he has, and how many innings the Sox want to send him out there. I still have some hope for Lopez but he is probably almost out of rope. The Sox are short with starters. I think JR looks at Cleveland and thinks no way they will hold up now. Probably looks at Minnesota and thinks they have a lot of work to do to get back to what they were and not much time to do it, and decides the Sox are good enough where they are at or some Wainwright level addition. Hopefully it doesn’t come back to bite him in the ass in October.

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

I doubt Keuchel gives you a sub 2.00 ERA again. There is a decent chance Lynn regresses a little. The projections even seem to think Giolito might fall back some. But usually the projections are pretty conservative. Cease has great stuff. If he gets some command, he will be fine. Kopech looked great in spring training, but who knows how much rust he has, and how many innings the Sox want to send him out there. I still have some hope for Lopez but he is probably almost out of rope. The Sox are short with starters. I think JR looks at Cleveland and thinks no way they will hold up now. Probably looks at Minnesota and thinks they have a lot of work to do to get back to what they were and not much time to do it, and decides the Sox are good enough where they are at or some Wainwright level addition. Hopefully it doesn’t come back to bite him in the ass in October.

At best we're looking at a crapshoot. We are not going to optimize. And that makes the Lynn trade terrible alone.

19 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

I didn't say guaranteed, I said likely. And I am correct. You can't honestly say you don't see that. It absolutely makes sense because it is true.

High chance it's not enough to move the needle in the playoffs. We need another quastarter. 

They have improved in other areas and young players get better. I don't expect Keuchel to be as good as last year, but there is no reason think Lynn can't and Gio isn't still ascending. I am correct and that is true, likely, but not guaranteed. 

1 minute ago, shakes said:

They have improved in other areas and young players get better. I don't expect Keuchel to be as good as last year, but there is no reason think Lynn can't and Gio isn't still ascending. I am correct and that is true, likely, but not guaranteed. 

They added 1 (admittedly fantastic) reliever.

You're dancing around the point. They have not optimized and they really haven't spent much. I totally look at Lynn as a red herring here.

2 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

They added 1 (admittedly fantastic) reliever.

You're dancing around the point. They have not optimized and they really haven't spent much. I totally look at Lynn as a red herring here.

They did. Now he probably cant outperform Colome’s 2020 except for maybe advanced wise but that doesn’t give you extra wins. But they did set themselves up nicely for games they lead late.and he is very likely to outperform Colome going forward.

Edited by Dick Allen

28 minutes ago, shakes said:

Everyone will regress, and on the other hand the young pitchers have ZERO chance of ever getting better and reaching their potential. 

This is such a miserable pessimistic fanbase.  

23 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Everyone will regress, and on the other hand the young pitchers have ZERO chance of ever getting better and reaching their potential. 

This is such a miserable pessimistic fanbase.  

Everyone? There are differences between different people. Gio seems solidified. Lynn is 34. Keuchel was almost bad 2 or 3 years prior.

Analyze things instead of thinking in black and white.

Edited by RagahRagah
  • Like 1