$15m and two moves to finish the roster

striker

9 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Quintana- 8Mil

La Stella- 5 Mil

Flowers -2 Mil

This would be ideal but it seems unlikely La Stella would accept 5 and Q would accept 8. 7 and 10 is more likely which by itself would be 2m over budget and even that would not address backup C either assuming TLR is not a fan of Collins.

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

Adam Wainwright - 6 mill

Auston Romine - MILB contract $2 mill if makes roster

Tommy La Stella - 1 year, 8 million, 2nd year club option for 10 million with $2 million buyout.

If they cannot get Quintana, Wainwright for around $6 million would be a nice veteran addition on a one year deal. 

Richards just cannot stay healthy. 

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

Adam Wainwright - 6 mill

Auston Romine - MILB contract $2 mill if makes roster

Tommy La Stella - 1 year, 8 million, 2nd year club option for 10 million with $2 million buyout.

I'd be good with those as well. 

4 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Whats taking so long on the La Stella front?

TLR is pushing hard for him so I thought they would have signed him by now.

He's played his ass off to become a great offensive player and starter and we are offering him a utility role. I'm sure he'd like to get a starter role somewhere but there are a lot of 2b and places like oakland probably would rather take leftovers of the Albertos/Wongs/Profar/Schoops

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

He's played his ass off to become a great offensive player and starter and we are offering him a utility role. I'm sure he'd like to get a starter role somewhere but there are a lot of 2b and places like oakland probably would rather take leftovers of the Albertos/Wongs/Profar/Schoops

Super utility guys get noticed when they play for a winner on the big stage.  We should be attractive to anyone we want at this time.

49 minutes ago, bmags said:

Ahh i see....I bet he is waiting to see then whether Madrigal is moved in a trade. 

Sign the following:

Quintana - 2 years 18M with a club option and buy out ( 8M for '21, 10M for '22, AAV of 9M, club option is 12M with 2M buy out). 
Profar - 2 years 9M with a club option and buy out (4.5M for '21, 4.5M for '22, AAV of 4.5M, club option is 7M with 500k buy out).
Flowers - 1 year 2.5M or trade for Anthony Bemboom of the angels as he is now blocked by Suzuki & Stassi and allocate the additional 2M to Quintana & Profar.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, beautox said:

Sign the following:

Quintana - 2 years 18M with a club option and buy out ( 8M for '21, 10M for '22, AAV of 9M, club option is 12M with 2M buy out). 
Profar - 2 years 9M with a club option and buy out (4.5M for '21, 4.5M for '22, AAV of 4.5M, club option is 7M with 500k buy out).
Flowers - 1 year 2.5M or trade for Anthony Bemboom of the angels as he is now blocked by Suzuki & Stassi and allocate the additional 2M to Quintana & Profar.

Honestly if we are going to bring in another IF, I would prefer it to be Profar to LaStella just because with Tim Anderson, he seems to be able to take one solid DL stint a season, and having someone who can play SS should be important.  I do wonder if the Sox are just going to roll with Tim Beckham and Leury Garcia in that roll though.

I don't know where to put this, but I'll do so here: This was a post I wrote discussing Jerry Reinsdorf's legacy as an owner in Chicago. 

Jerry has shopped in the top tier in free agency exactly twice as his tenure of owner of the Sox. Immediately when he and Einhorn bought the team in 1980, they signed Carlton Fisk. The next time was Albert Belle in the winter of '96-97, and from all accounts that was an FU to the rest of the ownership about not trying harder to break the MLBPA in '94, which by the way Jerry was the leader on that negotiation and he railroaded his own team's window and killed their momentum by caring more about profits than his on-field product. You can't blame Sox fans for being skeptical.

Also, Jerry's refusal to re-negotiate Jordan and Pippen's contracts in the mid-90s is a huge reason why the Bulls are NOT a destination spot for NBA stars. All of the modern players see Jerry in a negative light. Reinsdorf gets far too much credit for inheriting Michael Jordan.

From what I've heard,  he treats his employees very well, and is very generous in everything except player contracts. I don't understand how he can be supposedly such a good dude, but be so ruthless in CBA negotiations. He does spend overall, but he's more likely to give big contracts to players the Sox or Bulls drafted or grew up as players in his organization than he does to go outside the organization. Top Players, from Scottie Pippen, to Frank Thomas, to Chris Sale, to Yoan Moncada have taken a hometown discount to stay with his organizations.

My understanding of Jerry Reindsdorf is that by all accounts, he's a kind man, a great boss, but a mediocre at best owner from the fan's perspective.  That being said, his decency as a human being and as as a boss, while still being a shrewd businessman is why he owns 2 sports teams in Chicago and is a billionaire. If he has one weakness it's that he's overly loyal to those who need to be held accountable for poor performance in the upper management side of his organizations. It's one thing to be fair, and give people the benefit of the doubt, and that's admirable and quite frankly unexpected from someone of his wealth. There are times though, where the benefit of the doubt is given when it isn't warranted.

I want to like him, as he has many admirable qualities from a business owner but I struggle with it because he frustrates the hell out of his fanbase. If Jerry shopped at the top of Free Agency during this, what is probably this last window to win as an owner at age 85, it would do a lot for his legacy from the fans perspective. If he signed Bauer tomorrow, a lot would be forgiven.

Jerry Reinsdorf is a complex man, and has a complex legacy as an owner in Chicago. He very easily could have been beloved by Chicagoans if he had picked his spots with his teams a bit better. There are some big mistakes when he was too business conscious when he needed to be product conscious. Unfortunately, as of right now, he is not learning from his mistakes. Sox fans would have forgiven him for a lot if he had signed Bryce Harper, for instance, or sealed the deal with Machado before the Padres swooped in. There are too many times where he is penny wise but dollar foolish.

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1