'21 rules discussions

southsider2k5

10 hours ago, NWINFan said:

I can live with 7-inning double-headers although I am not crazy about it. I am against further expansion of the playoffs. Teams should get into the post-season as a reward for an excellent regular season. I am not  one for an 84-win team getting into the post-season and then "hope to get hot." If the regular season becomes so meaningless, why bother to watch? Just wait for some diluted post-season for fake enthusiasm. Then wait for the dumb ass owners to come up with some other rule changes to ruin a great game and make a ton of money while doing it.

Basically what happened to the NFL and NBA when they expanded their playoffs. No body watches the regular season anymore. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Texsox said:

Basically what happened to the NFL and NBA when they expanded their playoffs. No body watches the regular season anymore. 

One of the great memories of the 2005 season was the Sox holding off the Indians to get into playoffs. Nerve wracking but a great memory. There is no reason to take something like that from the fans. But leave it to the owners to screw up something that works by giving us fake playoff teams.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

One of the great memories of the 2005 season was the Sox holding off the Indians to get into playoffs. Nerve wracking but a great memory. There is no reason to take something like that from the fans. But leave it to the owners to screw up something that works by giving us fake playoff teams.

On the other side of the coin, honestly, this opens up more revenue and more excitement for fans of more teams.

I also go with the logic my friend used for hockey: "In a playoff picture with that many series, if you win the cup you fucking earned it."

3 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

On the other side of the coin, honestly, this opens up more revenue and more excitement for fans of more teams.

I also go with the logic my friend used for hockey: "In a playoff picture with that many series, if you win the cup you fucking earned it."

I like the idea of more teams for the same reason.  There are too many teams that are close that don't make the playoffs, and there are way too many teams that are essentially eliminated from contention early in the season.  I do think, however, that the number of teams that tank each year needs to be reduced/eliminated.  I know that it a much bigger issue that ties in salaries and potential caps, etc.

But I still feel that teams that play good/great baseball for 162 should have a better chance to make the playoffs.

23 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

I like the idea of more teams for the same reason.  There are too many teams that are close that don't make the playoffs, and there are way too many teams that are essentially eliminated from contention early in the season.  I do think, however, that the number of teams that tank each year needs to be reduced/eliminated.  I know that it a much bigger issue that ties in salaries and potential caps, etc.

But I still feel that teams that play good/great baseball for 162 should have a better chance to make the playoffs.

To me, those statements are in conflict. If you don't have enough talent to have 30 competitive teams, why on earth would you want more teams?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RagahRagah said:

I think that there are enough playoff spots that there are enough teams contending till the last of the season. In 1990, the White Sox won 94 games, had the third best record in the Majors and went nowhere. That is not likely to happen again with the way things are now. There is plenty of interest for fans.

Secondly, because of expanded playoffs, regular season games are being played in the cold of late March, and the World Series is almost pushing into November. Baseball is a warm weather sport, and fans and players shouldn't have to put up with those conditions. I've been a fan a long time and have already have put with some real miserable conditions. I am not willing to do that so some rich guys can make more money.

Finally, if more teams make the playoffs, why should an owner like Jerry Reinsdorf invest in putting a real solid team together? Second place is good, right? How about third?

One last thing: I lost real interest in the NHL a long time ago. Seasons are way too long; playoffs are way too long.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I think that there are enough playoff spots that there are enough teams contending till the last of the season. In 1990, the White Sox won 94 games, had the third best record in the Majors and went nowhere. That is not likely to happen again with the way things are now. There is plenty of interest for fans.

Secondly, because of expanded playoffs, regular season games are being played in the cold of late March, and the World Series is almost pushing into November. Baseball is a warm weather sport, and fans and players shouldn't have to put up with those conditions. I've been a fan a long time and have already have put with some real miserable conditions. I am not willing to do that so some rich guys can make more money.

Finally, if more teams make the playoffs, why should an owner like Jerry Reinsdorf invest in putting a real solid team together? Second place is good, right? How about third?

One last thing: I lost real interest in the NHL a long time ago. Seasons are way too long; playoffs are way too long.

Based on the quote that leaked from Jerry within the past couple years, are you him?

Now that 7-inning doubleheaders are part of baseball, maybe they should use them to end the season sooner. Play 12 scheduled dh per year, make the season 24.5 weeks instead of 26.5. They do that, opening day no sooner than April 1, and Game 7 of the World Series no later than October 26. 

2 minutes ago, flavum said:

Now that 7-inning doubleheaders are part of baseball, maybe they should use them to end the season sooner. Play 12 scheduled dh per year, make the season 24.5 weeks instead of 26.5. They do that, opening day no sooner than April 1, and Game 7 of the World Series no later than October 26. 

I think with still fighting the pandemic, they want the extra time knowing there will be a ton of these worked into the schedule.  Every sport has seen cancellations, and if we build this much into the schedule, and then add to it?  That's brutal for the players.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I think with still fighting the pandemic, they want the extra time knowing there will be a ton of these worked into the schedule.  Every sport has seen cancellations, and if we build this much into the schedule, and then add to it?  That's brutal for the players.

I’m talking post-pandemic.

Just now, manbearpuig said:

I don't think 7-inning double headers will be a part of baseball post-pandemic.

I never thought they’d do the stupid man on 2nd in extras, but here we are. 
Just thinking long term with expansion, realignment, expanded postseason , they need to get it together so the World Series isn’t in crappy conditions, and the neutral site is lame. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, flavum said:

I never thought theyd do the stupid man on 2nd in extras, but here we are.
Just thinking long term with expansion, realignment, expanded postseason , they need to get it together so the World Series isn’t in crappy conditions, and the neutral site is lame. 

Pretty much only here because of pandemic though. 

6 hours ago, NWINFan said:

So true.  It wouldn't have been the same if they held off the  Indians to get the last playoff spot when 8 teams get in. Who cares if the race is for the 8th playoff spot and the other team will be 9th and out? I probably wouldn't watch.