Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
southsider2k5

'21 rules discussions

Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

How about just making the appeal automatic? I have never understood why the 3rd and 1st base umpire can’t immediately overrule a no swing call, without an appeal. If it is all about getting it right, why does the catcher even have to appeal? 

I agree.  It's their job to make the call. Just make it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2021 at 7:28 PM, Soxsi75 said:

 "Baseball is too slow and boring."  If you believe that, then don't watch it. 

This should be the new MLB marketing slogan.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

How about just making the appeal automatic? I have never understood why the 3rd and 1st base umpire can’t immediately overrule a no swing call, without an appeal. If it is all about getting it right, why does the catcher even have to appeal? 

Good point as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2021 at 9:53 AM, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

They care about the length of the game because the people who think it isn't too slow and boring are older. Younger people aren't watching baseball nearly as much. If I didn't have a dad that was a huge Sox fan, I doubt I would have ever started watching baseball. Even when I do, I'm on my phone texting friends, checking Facebook, etc., during the game in a way that I don't do watching football. Also, I'll watch several college and NFL football games in a weekend that don't involve my favorite teams. Outside of the World Series, I've never watched a game that didn't involve the Sox.

That said, I don't know how to shorten games without doing weird stuff, like shortening games to 8 innings, making foul balls strike three, or limiting the number of times a pitcher can throw to first.

OK. I think you might be right that the older people are the one's that don't think it's too slow and boring. And I guess you're saying the younger fans do. Then I'm going to say that's a shame. Because that's telling me the younger fans don't have the patience and attention span to learn the game. You say you text friends and check facebook while watching a game, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Because it is a leisurely paced game, I admit. But that's part of the beauty of it. If someone can't see that, then they don't understand the game. And don't want to take the time to learn it and appreciate it. We might be talking more of a generation gap issue here instead of a baseball issue, but it seems like "younger" people need constant, high level, excitement with everything without appreciating the beauty within and appreciating something that takes time. And why it takes time. You said you can watch several College and NFL games over the weekend that don't involve your favorite teams. Why? ( I'm not knocking it by asking because I can too.) Because college football games last longer than your typical baseball game. If you think because it's more exciting, more action then let me ask you this. Would you appreciate a 13-10 football game or do you prefer the wild 52-35 games that College Football now is? If you choose the 52-35 game and think the low scoring 13-10 would be boring then you're proving my point.  I do get the strong feeling that you are much younger than I am, so as I said we might be talking more a generation gap here than anything else. So please don't take anything I'm writing here personally because it isn't meant to be. I just hope that someday you can begin to appreciate the deepness of the game, but if not I respect that. But I still don't think the game should be changed with stupid rules to cater to people who don't understand it.                                  

And by the way. For all the stupid ideas they have of rules changes to shorten the game, they can NEVER limit the times a pitcher can throw to first. You do that, and you might as well just give the base runner second base. Because what would happen is once the pitcher reaches his "limit" on times to throw over, the baserunner can then just take his "leadoff" ALL THE WAY TO WITHIN A STEP OF SECOND BASE!!! Why wouldn't he if there's no danger of getting picked off? So all that would have to happen, is the hitter just takes the next pitch, because the pitcher has to throw home, and the runner takes second with one step!! Not saying you are, but anyone who suggests limiting the times a pitcher can throw to first is proving my point that they don't understand the game. Actually, I'd have to go farther and say if they suggest that, they not only don't understand it, but know NOTHING about it. 

Edited by Soxsi75
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2021 at 11:11 AM, manbearpuig said:

The DH should have been sorted out months ago.

Months? It's been split for years. It never should have been a league by league decision. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@soxsi75 it's putting on a bandaid but you could limit the lead off distance after a pitcher maxes out. You could change the rules to where the pitcher has to step back from the rubber to make a pick off move after he's reached his max. There are ways to mitigate. 

I'm not certain I would like any of those changes. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Texsox said:

@soxsi75 it's putting on a bandaid but you could limit the lead off distance after a pitcher maxes out. You could change the rules to where the pitcher has to step back from the rubber to make a pick off move after he's reached his max. There are ways to mitigate. 

I'm not certain I would like any of those changes. 

 

Yeah, OK good point. But how could you measure the lead off distance? A guess a marker on the field could work. But the biggest problem with that, is it makes it more difficult for the baserunner to steal if he wants to. And therefore, you're penalizing the baserunner for what the pitcher did. Having the pitcher maybe step back from the rubber to do so makes more sense, but then what would make him just keep doing that once he reaches his limit? Because then by bending the rule, he's still able to throw over as much as he wants. Just doing it a bit differently, so it would defeat the purpose. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Soxsi75 said:

Yeah, OK good point. But how could you measure the lead off distance? A guess a marker on the field could work. But the biggest problem with that, is it makes it more difficult for the baserunner to steal if he wants to. And therefore, you're penalizing the baserunner for what the pitcher did. Having the pitcher maybe step back from the rubber to do so makes more sense, but then what would make him just keep doing that once he reaches his limit? Because then by bending the rule, he's still able to throw over as much as he wants. Just doing it a bit differently, so it would defeat the purpose. 

Depending on where you set the distance it could help the runner or  the pitcher. One step off the base and it favors the pitcher, one step from second and it helps the runner. Somewhere along that axis is something that may be fair. The more I think about it, the less I like it for all the reasons you mentioned. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I understand the attraction to the DH from an offense standpoint and for how it gives the fans the opportunity to have someone like a Luzinski to watch.

However, the purpose of the DH wasn't to have another bat added per se, but to keep pitchers from hitting. Therefore, it seems logical to me to compromise and just do away with pitchers batting *and* the do away with the DH. Eight man batting lineup, simple as that. No more pitchers batting who can't hit, no more double switches and other time consuming strategic nonsense, and no DH for those who don't prefer it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SpringfieldFan said:

I understand the attraction to the DH from an offense standpoint and for how it gives the fans the opportunity to have someone like a Luzinski to watch.

However, the purpose of the DH wasn't to have another bat added per se, but to keep pitchers from hitting. Therefore, it seems logical to me to compromise and just do away with pitchers batting *and* the do away with the DH. Eight man batting lineup, simple as that. No more pitchers batting who can't hit, no more double switches and other time consuming strategic nonsense, and no DH for those who don't prefer it.

Been suggesting that myself for years. It turns over the lineup faster for the best players that play offense and defense. But they’ll never do it because of money. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

 

Pathetic. Baseballs were standard for decades until Manfred, his fellow owners and a hedge fund purchased Rawlings in 2018, after which they began fucking with the regular season and post season baseballs.

Quote

The deal gives MLB a chance to provide “even more input and direction on the production” of the league’s official ball, said Chris Marinak, MLB’s executive vice president for strategy, technology and innovation.

What other sport operates with players and front office not knowing the type of the primary sport ball from year to year? Answer, the same sport that goes in weeks before the season without know which players will be used (DHs).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the 7 inning double header although I'm not looking forward to game record controversy.  Is 21 up 21 down a perfect game? Or will be start tracking 7 inning game records? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2021 at 10:30 PM, Texsox said:

@soxsi75 it's putting on a bandaid but you could limit the lead off distance after a pitcher maxes out. You could change the rules to where the pitcher has to step back from the rubber to make a pick off move after he's reached his max. There are ways to mitigate. 

I'm not certain I would like any of those changes. 

 

 

“@soxsi75 it's putting on a bandaid but you could limit the lead off distance after a pitcher maxes out. You could change the rules to where the pitcher has to step back from the rubber to make a pick off move after he's reached his max. There are ways to mitigate. 

I'm not certain I would like any of those changes.”

 

Base-stealing has been less and less a factor the last decade, but that will change if the homer reliant offenses are forced to once again manufacture individual runs for lower scoring games with a major change in the official ball again.

As far as sport popularity goes, one of the big advantages for football or basketball (excitement-wise) has and always be that they’re better suited for gambling...and baseball is so hard to bet on due to day to day variances.   Not to mention college football bowl picks, NCAA Tourney pools are culturally imbedded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I like the 7 inning double header although I'm not looking forward to game record controversy.  Is 21 up 21 down a perfect game? Or will be start tracking 7 inning game records? 

What about rain-shortened ones?  Melido Perez says hi!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the 7 inning DH and I might even like 7 innings period.

Yeah it would be a big change but with starters only going like 5 do we really need to see 4 innings of relief pitching every night?

But of course we don't know whether with 7 inning games starters would be lowered to 4 or so.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Thank you for posting that.

I wonder once 7 inning games are a permanent rule if that ruling will change as well. 

 

I don't think it will change because once covid bans are lifted there won't be that many DHs anymore.

Reason they are needed now is the shortened season and make up games due to covid postponements.

For a couple DHs a year you don't need to change the rule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a lighter note, Nightengale made an ass of himself again last night re-tweeting his own tweet about IF the union and MLB agree on universal DH and expanded playoffs, and saying in his retweet that it is now official.  Needless to say he got destroyed.  I'm beginning to think he does that kind of stuff on purpose.

I like the 7 inning doubleheaders  but not the runner on second in extra innings.  Seems like the universal DH would have been agreed upon before that, and maybe it would have if MLB didn't tie it to expanded playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This bob tweet is cracking me up because it looks like he is saying "look, I'm right" except DH didn't happen lol

 

 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

This bob tweet is cracking me up because it looks like he is saying "look, I'm right" except DH didn't happen lol

 

 

That's amazing lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×