Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min

fathom

15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So now that the GOAT insider is reporting this, what do we do think possible terms will be?  $14M seems about right to me in this market.

I doubt it's that high. He made $14.5M in 2019, and was supposed to make $12M last season. I don't think we see a raise. Hopefully it would be closer to $10M, or I have no idea how they are going to fill out the rest of the roster barring a trade of some sort.

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So now that the GOAT insider is reporting this, what do we do think possible terms will be?  $14M seems about right to me in this market.

I'm not saying your guess is wrong, but if the Sox sign 40-year old Cruz for $14m to block three prospects on what was already the second-highest scoring offense in the AL instead of signing a mid-rotation starter, I'm gonna have absolutely nothing left to defend this FO.

Not a fan of Cruz.  Hope this turns out to be wrong.  Is he suddenly not going to be on the juice if he signed here?  Or did almost everyone here just say that in game threads cause he was on the Twins putting up crazy numbers pushing 40? 

Edited by soulfly

1 minute ago, Eminor3rd said:

I'm not saying your guess is wrong, but if the Sox sign 40-year old Cruz for $14m to block three prospects on what was already the second-highest scoring offense in the AL instead of signing a mid-rotation starter, I'm gonna have absolutely nothing left to defend this FO.

There is 1 reason the Sox won't sign Cruz and a mid-rotation starter and it ain't the FO

2 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

3 prospects?  Vaughn for a year, sure.

3 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

There was a lot of struggles late last season with this offense.

Just now, YoYoIsMyHero said:

There is 1 reason the Sox won't sign Cruz and a mid-rotation starter and it ain't the FO

Look you're not gonna find me defending JR in nearly anything, but if he gives the FO the $14m to spend, and they don't spend it on what they actually need, then you can't blame JR..

Just now, Eminor3rd said:

Why not both though?  Unless you think we can get Tanaka on a 1/$15M, I’m not sure there is a starter that warrants Cruz money on a one year deal.  I guess Paxton would fall into that bucket too, but I think the generally uncertainty with him makes a Cruz signing more defensible.

Which three DH prospects are you referring to?  Vaughn, Collins, & Mercedes?  I think Collins is the favorite to win the backup catcher spot even if they bring another catcher on a minor league deal, so he wouldn’t be going to waste.  I think giving Vaughn a year of development time is defensible if you’re adding a Cruz caliber DH.  And while Mercedes would be fun to see get a shot, the organization doesn’t seem overly eager to.  I’m not going to complain about Cruz on a one year deal and in fact I’d be pumped.

2 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

3 prospects?  Vaughn for a year, sure.

Vaughn, Collins, Yermin.

You can make an argument that Yermin's development doesn't matter, but the point is that there are a plethora of solid internal options that actually need ABs, and there's already an offensive star at nearly every position on the diamond. And when you're a cheapskate team with limited budget and real holes to fill, you don't throw big money at a position where you already have a plethora of solid internal options.

13 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

Sure, they were a high scoring offense. What they were lacking was pitching. But it's also true that the more bats you stack the more it can make up for some pitching holes. And Cruz is a big one. And 14 million isn't gonna pay for Bauer.

I would gladly take being the 1995 Cleveland Indians over being the White Sox of the last 15 years.

And the idea of Yermin and Collins getting "blocked." C'mon, mang. 

Edited by RagahRagah

1 minute ago, Eminor3rd said:

Vaughn, Collins, Yermin.

You can make an argument that Yermin's development doesn't matter, but the point is that there are a plethora of solid internal options that actually need ABs, and there's already an offensive star at nearly every position on the diamond. And when you're a cheapskate team with limited budget and real holes to fill, you don't throw big money at a position where you already have a plethora of solid internal options.

I don't think you want your 2nd catcher DHing. I know we did that last year some, but we were carrying 3 catchers with covid rosters

• knightni changed the title to Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min