Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min

fathom

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I don't want to watch that act again.  EE, Dunn, LaRoche, Dye, and Konerko are enough experiences to teach me that lesson.  When these sluggers go downhill they go fast.  I would rather watch Vaughn struggle a bit while improving over time.  I prefer using Yermin until Vaughn is ready.  Spend the money on starting pitching.

I'd agree, but if they're unwilling to spend the money on what's left of the SP field in FA, I'd rather they spend it to solidify the DH position. 

4 minutes ago, Sleepy Harold said:

I'd agree, but if they're unwilling to spend the money on what's left of the SP field in FA, I'd rather they spend it to solidify the DH position. 

If they're unwilling to spend the money on the FA pitchers who are left then its their own fault for not having spent it earlier on someone they would have liked more. Vaughn taking over the DH spot on April 15 is a far lower risk than Lopez starting the season as the 5th starter, with Kopech as the only legit depth for the first month if someone gets hurt.

• Like 2

Just now, Balta1701 said:

If they're unwilling to spend the money on the FA pitchers who are left then its their own fault for not having spent it earlier on someone they would have liked more. Vaughn taking over the DH spot on April 15 is a far lower risk than Lopez starting the season as the 5th starter, with Kopech as the only legit depth for the first month if someone gets hurt.

I know it's their fault, and I don't believe they'll go into the season with ReyLo as the #5, I still expect them to do something to round out the rotation. For example, let's say if they aren't crazy about spending $8M on a Trevor Cahill, but are comfortable with spending $12M on Cruz, I'd hope they'd bite the bullet and do that. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sleepy Harold said:

I know it's their fault, and I don't believe they'll go into the season with ReyLo as the #5, I still expect them to do something to round out the rotation. For example, let's say if they aren't crazy about spending $8M on a Trevor Cahill, but are comfortable with spending $12M on Cruz, I'd hope they'd bite the bullet and do that. 

Like the deal or not, I'd say go for the pitcher. 

17 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I don't want to watch that act again.  EE, Dunn, LaRoche, Dye, and Konerko are enough experiences to teach me that lesson.  When these sluggers go downhill they go fast.  I would rather watch Vaughn struggle a bit while improving over time.  I prefer using Yermin until Vaughn is ready.  Spend the money on starting pitching.

Definitely agree on throwing the money at a pitching upgrade.

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I'm worried that the answer is "Neither, $30 million was our limit". 

I spent 3 months expecting there was a 100% chance they would sign Quintana. 

Yeah, the Sox didn't even make the B or C type move we are all used to.

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This dude doesn't know his history at all.  Ozzie didn't want him as the full time DH instead preferring some positional flexibility and freaking Mark Kotsay.

It could be that the FO wanted him back and Ozzie vetoed it. I still can't forgive Ozzie for not bringing back Thome. That move cost us the division.

26 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Right.  Should be plenty of money to sign a bat and a SP.  Embarrassing to not put the finishing touches on this roster.  

Agreed. Jerry is skipping over the part of the rebuild where you can spend on other good players while the core is cheap and controllable. Instead, we trade for one year of Lynn, an aging Adam Eaton who we are hoping bounces back, and an almost 40-year old Adam Wainwright. I like the Hendriks signing obviously, but it would be nice to spend on an impact starter or bat every once in a while (granted, they did sign Yaz last year but still).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Sox80 said:

Why not just sign joc pederson then they can Dh Jimenez at times.  Makes them better defensively.  Just  a thought. 

Possible that Joc's contract is longer and overall more expensive than Cruz's. I think the White Sox want Cruz on a one year deal. I have to think that Joc's contract will be at least 2, maybe more like 4 years. 

3 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Possible that Joc's contract is longer and overall more expensive than Cruz's. I think the White Sox want Cruz on a one year deal. I have to think that Joc's contract will be at least 2, maybe more like 4 years. 

At this point joc might be best to take a one year prove it deal.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, macsandz said:

Here comes the hedge...there will be one on Wainwright soon as well. 

I know you seem to always respond to tweets by Steve Stone or now these food guys and make it seem like they know nothing but earlier in this thread y2Jimmy even said the Sox have a offer on him. Many other accounts (Bilek, Y2Jimmy, Cishek) have said the Sox are interested in Wainwright as well. So are you saying that Cruz and Wainwright are indeed not on the Sox radar and this is all fake? 

Edited by Orlando

5 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I know you seem to always respond to tweets by Steve Stone or now these food guys and make it seem like they know nothing but earlier in this thread y2Jimmy even said the Sox have a offer on him. Many other accounts (Bilek, Y2Jimmy, Cishek) have said the Sox are interested in Wainwright as well. So are you saying that Cruz and Wainwright are indeed not on the Sox radar and this is all fake? 

I believe @macsandz was the first one to confirm that we’ve been talking to Cruz since December. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, SoxBlanco said:

I believe @macsandz was the first one to confirm that we’ve been talking to Cruz since December. 

Ok cool, I’m just confused because he said that Beef was hedging his bets like he made this stuff up but I don’t take what he tweeted as that. I was wondering if @macsandz was saying it was all a lie or something. 

6 minutes ago, Orlando said:

It couldn't be more obvious what you're doing here, Al I mean Steve, I mean...now I'm hungry 

• knightni changed the title to Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min