Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min

fathom

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Football has shown you don’t get sued because of it, not that it’s a sound public health choice. That means in areas where public health authorities are being listened to, you will get different rules from areas where they aren’t.

True.  However, we haven't heard of any football games with fans being super-spreader events.  MLB will most likely have a plan that will allow fans, but they will defer to local restrictions always.

The thing is, Hector's original tweet would not be wrong if Cruz signed with someone other than the Twins, even if it wasn't the White Sox. It would be good news for White Sox fans. One thing I don't understand is Cheesy Beef is insinuating JR really wants Cruz. If he wanted him really bad, he'd be signed by now.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

The thing is, Hector's original tweet would not be wrong if Cruz signed with someone other than the Twins, even if it wasn't the White Sox. It would be good news for White Sox fans. One thing I don't understand is Cheesy Beef is insinuating JR really wants Cruz. If he wanted him really bad, he'd be signed by now.

Not totally true. I’ve heard Cruz would like two years and wanted to wait to see if NL teams would be involved. 

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It would be wrong just because of the timeline. He said good news for White Sox fans in the next few days.10 days (and likely to be more) is > "a few days".

4 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Not totally true. I’ve heard Cruz would like two years and wanted to wait to see if NL teams would be involved. 

But also not truly false. If JR really wants Cruz, he could give him 2 years. 

3 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

But also not truly false. If JR really wants Cruz, he could give him 2 years. 

Then you would have to trade Vaughn. Personally, only way this makes sense is if Sox do something like 1/14 with Cruz and a 6 million buyout on the option that can be spread out over time.

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Then you would have to trade Vaughn. Personally, only way this makes sense is if Sox do something like 1/14 with Cruz and a 6 million buyout on the option that can be spread out over time.

Or you could trade Cruz to an NL team next year, assuming they have a DH . If JR wants him bad, he is not anticipating a drop off. So I don't know why a 2 year commitment would be a big deal. Frankly, I think they should have spent the money either on Springer or some  more pitching. But 40 year old DH with the best 1B prospect in the game who is blocked in the organization? OK.

Edited by Dick Allen

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Or you could trade Cruz to an NL team next year, assuming they have a DH . If JR wants him bad, he is not anticipating a drop off. So I don't know why a 2 year commitment would be a big deal. Frankly, I think they should have spent the money either on Springer or some  more pitching. But 40 year old DH with the best 1B prospect in the game who is blocked in the organization? OK.

But then if Cruz falls off a cliff, you're stuck. Thats a big risk for a 40 year old man

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

But then if Cruz falls off a cliff, you're stuck. Thats a big risk for a 40 year old man

If the White Sox expect sustained success and multiple championships, they are going to get stuck with bad contracts. Every team that has been what they are striving to be has had that issue. They have to accept the fact that it will happen, and also anticipate it when determining budgets.

3 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You can say it’s not significant, but saying we’re throwing a bunch of shit at the wall and hoping it sticks doesn’t make any sense.  We’ve literally had three additions and two of them were top 10 AL Cy Young finishers.  The reality is without more additions the Sox are banking on growth and bounce-backs from their younger guys, which is risky to some extent but doesn’t reflect throwing shit against the wall.

Hoping for Dallas and Lynn to continue what they are doing.

Hoping for one or both of Cease and Kopech to be good this year.

Hoping for potentially Vaughn or Yermin to come up as DH and make an impact?

Hoping Madrigal makes strides forward with his miscues and injury this year.

Hoping for the hot bats in our lineup to continue to be hot.

Hoping for injury prone players (Eaton) to be healthy. 

Hoping that some solid young BP guys weren't a fluke last year.

You have to realize how many things will have to go right barring no more moves made.

Edited by RagahRagah
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

You have to realize how many things will have to go right barring no more moves made.

Ragah is 100% correct and consistently one of the best posters on this site. 

It's being real. We can also admit that this division got weaker and we are likely a shoe-in to win the division. That doesn't mean this team is as good as the Blue Jays or NYY or even in the same tier as some of the NL teams as it stands.

As Ragah pointed out, the Rotation is a huge question mark. I don't think the bats will be as much of a question mark, but yeah the DH spot and Eaton are both worrisome atm. 

12 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Ragah is 100% correct and consistently one of the best posters on this site. 

It's being real. We can also admit that this division got weaker and we are likely a shoe-in to win the division. That doesn't mean this team is as good as the Blue Jays or NYY or even in the same tier as some of the NL teams as it stands.

As Ragah pointed out, the Rotation is a huge question mark. I don't think the bats will be as much of a question mark, but yeah the DH spot and Eaton are both worrisome atm. 

By no means are they a shoe-in.  Twins are still good and will get better this offseason and the Indians are building back up again.

• Like 2

Just now, fathom said:

By no means are they a shoe-in.  Twins are still good and will get better this offseason and the Indians are building back up again.

Apparently the Indians have a bunch of moves coming and the Twins have barely started. The teams could look very different once ST starts.

1 hour ago, RagahRagah said:

Hoping that some solid young BP guys weren't a fluke last year.

Did you not follow the team last year at all?  We were one of the best teams in baseball despite horrible production from RF, DH, SP3, & SP4, miscues from Nick Madrigal, Moncada being plagued by COVID, Robert going through rookie struggles, Eloy missing time, & Bummer missing most of the season.  Whatever we get out of some of these trouble spots is upside vs. last year.  We also are stocked with young, talented players who should get better.  Your view of things is unrealistically pessimistic and continue to ignore the fact that a lot of our competition has gotten worse.  I’m not satisfied with our offseason, but we are still one of the top teams on paper and should be a serious threat for the pennant baring massive injuries.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Did you not follow the team last year at all?  We were one of the best teams in baseball despite horrible production from RF, DH, SP3, & SP4, miscues from Nick Madrigal, Moncada being plagued by COVID, Robert going through rookie struggles, Eloy missing time, & Bummer missing most of the season.  Whatever we get out of some of these trouble spots is upside vs. last year.  We also are stocked with young, talented players who should get better.  Your view of things is unrealistically pessimistic and continue to ignore the fact that a lot of our competition has gotten worse.  I’m not satisfied with our offseason, but we are still one of the top teams on paper and should be a serious threat for the pennant baring massive injuries.

One of the best teams that still choked down the stretch and barely made it into an expanded postseason format in a truncated season. Please do not ignore this. And some of the reasons we did so well are things that are considerably likely to change, which are covered in the bullet points. 

Whatever the results, concerns over the bullet points I listed cannot be denied. They are all real concerns. 

Edited by RagahRagah

1 minute ago, RagahRagah said:

One of the best teams that still choked down the stretch.

Whatever the results, concerns over the bullet points I listed cannot be denied. They are all real concerns. 

I can make the same pessimistic bullet arguments for the entire beloved Yankees roster.  

• Fire 1

• knightni changed the title to Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min