Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min

fathom

14 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

The crow to be had here when moncada is another 5+ war player, Vaughn is the real deal and madrigal wins a batting title is going to be so delicious. Should they have signed Bauer...yep. but this idea that one free agent was going to tip the scales from the best team in the division is really getting tiresome. I've never seen a more pessimistic group of fans in my life. Why do you torture yourself?

How do you not believe a legit Ace doesn't tip the scale? Bauer can be a legitimate needle mover. That is kind of the idea. 

But no, I was never disillusioned. 

35 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The Sox aren't spending 10 million a year on a back up OF. 

Point being in that case he wouldn't be a backup. 

Obviously most of this talk is just us being hypothetical. If everything winds its way back around to "Jerry isn't spending the money" then it kind of makes discussion pointless.

17 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

How do you not believe a legit Ace doesn't tip the scale? Bauer can be a legitimate needle mover. That is kind of the idea. 

But no, I was never disillusioned. 

I've been outspoken about Bauer at the right price. But people acting like Lynn isn't a huge move are on the spectrum also. My point is that LaStella, Richards and all these fringe guys are not going to change the fact that this team is already awesome

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I've been outspoken about Bauer at the right price. But people acting like Lynn isn't a huge move are on the spectrum also. My point is that LaStella, Richards and all these fringe guys are not going to change the fact that this team is already awesome

I love the Lynn move, but we’re on injury away from Cease being our #3 starter.  That’s a problem and something that needs to be addressed.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I love the Lynn move, but we’re on injury away from Cease being our #3 starter.  That’s a problem and something that needs to be addressed.

Just feels they’ve put way way too much faith in Katz and all their main offensive guys staying healthy.  They’ve done nothing to insulate themselves for 162 game season.

27 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

I for one am truly shocked that a fiscally conservative organization is not taking more economic risk during a time of unprecedented economic uncertainty.

Then they should have been smarter about their additions, because they wound up taking a quite large risk by leaving a gaping hole.

There were 3 clear needs coming into this offseason. Pitching depth, bullpen depth, and RF. 

While they added a mid to front of the rotation pitcher, they also subtracted from their depth in the process, leaving "pitching depth" as an ongoing, major issue. They then signed the top closer on the market - a great move in principle, one I supported...but between the two moves, they spent $23 million or so. If they have a hard financial limit, those moves were done at the cost of failing to fill one of their biggest needs with an adequate player. The upgrade from Dunning to Lynn isn't necessarily a great one if it puts Lopez in the rotation and he is as bad as last year.

Hopefully we're concerned for nothing, but it seems like they can't trade Madrigal now as there's no backup plan if they move him. So do they have enough left to fill innings in the rotation? 

9 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

It's about building depth. It what makes a good team GREAT. The Dodgers are pros at it. The Yankees do it. The Padres are doing it this year. The Sox can't help but not understand this concept.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Depth adds are needed for sure. But the yankees added Kluber and Talilon, so let's not laud them for addressing full season needs either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Just feels they’ve put way way too much faith in Katz and all their main offensive guys staying healthy.  They’ve done nothing to insulate themselves for 162 game season.

And this year, the risk may well be greater than in an average year, given that literally everyone in the rotation will have to do a dramatic jump in innings next year.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

It's about building depth. It what makes a good team GREAT. The Dodgers are pros at it. The Yankees do it. The Padres are doing it this year. The Sox can't help but not understand this concept.

And Madrigal, Moncada, Eaton, Eloy and Robert aren’t exactly Cal Ripken Jr.  I know I’ve mentioned this before, but they’re an injury or two away from a slaptastic lineup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

Yep just stopping after Hendriks is frustrating. If you told me they would spend 30 million this offseason, I wouldn’t have suggested the path they took.

My assumption still is they look to extend Gio and Lynn. In which case - I get more on board with the off-season. Reality is the biggest acquisition of the off-season was Lynn. Hendricks was nice and the bigger price - but overall production wise (relative to 2020) he was pretty close to a wash vs. Colome (not saying Colome is better - just that last year there was a neglible difference between the 2 relative to White Sox W/L, etc).  

But Lance Lynn - the playoffs look a lot different if you got Lynn's production out of one of the spots in the rotation.  Personally - I'm happy. My bigger worry is if they went all-in and dealt a ton of the future away. I like the squad currently constructed and appreciate that the team maintained flexibility and maintained projectable high upside assets who can help extend this teams window.  

But I'm more of a - build a team for an extended window of sustained winning vs. focus on a 2-3 year period where you go entirely all-in kind of guy.  

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Or Cease turning the corner and finding success as a TOR stud based on his elite stuff 

Even if he does, the last 3 years he's pitched 124, 141, and 58 innings. Not exactly his fault last year, but that doesn't change the conditioning on his arm. Are you confident in him giving you 200 innings next year and continuing to be effective into the playoffs?

10 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Then they should have been smarter about their additions, because they wound up taking a quite large risk by leaving a gaping hole.

There were 3 clear needs coming into this offseason. Pitching depth, bullpen depth, and RF. 

While they added a mid to front of the rotation pitcher, they also subtracted from their depth in the process, leaving "pitching depth" as an ongoing, major issue. They then signed the top closer on the market - a great move in principle, one I supported...but between the two moves, they spent $23 million or so. If they have a hard financial limit, those moves were done at the cost of failing to fill one of their biggest needs with an adequate player. The upgrade from Dunning to Lynn isn't necessarily a great one if it puts Lopez in the rotation and he is as bad as last year.

Hopefully we're concerned for nothing, but it seems like they can't trade Madrigal now as there's no backup plan if they move him. So do they have enough left to fill innings in the rotation? 

I don’t think they’re trading anyone nor should they. If Jerry isn’t gonna spend $$, the front office needs to depend on Madrigal, Vaughn, Kopech etc to create a 5-6 year window instead of a 3 year one by trading pieces away 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And this year, the risk may well be greater than in an average year, given that literally everyone in the rotation will have to do a dramatic jump in innings next year.

And we better pray that Yaz stays healthy or turn over catching duties to the Collins experiment. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Even if he does, the last 3 years he's pitched 124, 141, and 58 innings. Not exactly his fault last year, but that doesn't change the conditioning on his arm. Are you confident in him giving you 200 innings next year and continuing to be effective into the playoffs?

What options on the market pitched more than 142 inning s in 2019? Not many tbh

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I don’t think they’re trading anyone nor should they. If Jerry isn’t gonna spend $$, the front office needs to depend on Madrigal, Vaughn, Kopech etc to create a 5-6 year window instead of a 3 year one by trading pieces away 

That's fine. I get that. But it doesn't answer the question of where we're going to get quality big league innings this year. 

• knightni changed the title to Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min