Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min

fathom

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Happy to have Vaughn and I would love to see his success, but IMO his best value to the team is being traded for SP now before the potential bust. 

There is a better chance the pitcher you trade him for gets hurt or busts . Paul Konerko is supposedly the poor man’s Andrew Vaughn.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Nothing in particular, just general prospect bust rates. 

For Vaughn to succeed as a 1b/DH type he will need to be a monster. That's asking a lot. 

He is a monster. He’s one of the best hitters to be drafted in the last 20 years. The only reason he didn’t go 1-1 is because of his position. 

39 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

He is a monster. He’s one of the best hitters to be drafted in the last 20 years. The only reason he didn’t go 1-1 is because of his position. 

Yermin Mercedes should get a tryout while holding down the fort for  Vaughn.  We might find a valuable trade chip in our own backyard.  

• Like 2

If Cruz is going to wait to sign until the NL DH thing gets sorted out, and La Stella is going to try to get in the neighborhood of what Profar just got, then the Sox would be better off just taking whatever money is left in the budget and getting the best SP they can (my preference right now would be Richards).  I think Vaughn will be a good DH, and if he struggles, they can trade for someone at the deadline to be the DH (for probably not much prospect capital).  And between Engel, Leury, and Mendick, I think the Sox already have good utility players.  In other words, I think Cruz and La Stella are both luxuries, not needs.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

If Cruz is going to wait to sign until the NL DH thing gets sorted out, and La Stella is going to try to get in the neighborhood of what Profar just got, then the Sox would be better off just taking whatever money is left in the budget and getting the best SP they can (my preference right now would be Richards).  I think Vaughn will be a good DH, and if he struggles, they can trade for someone at the deadline to be the DH (for probably not much prospect capital).  And between Engel, Leury, and Mendick, I think the Sox already have good utility players.  In other words, I think Cruz and La Stella are both luxuries, not needs.

I feel the same. Blow the remaining $15 mill budget (if true) on Tanaka. Offer a one year deal with a second year option and buyout. Roll with the combo of Collins, Mercedes, Garcia, Engel in the extra spot in the order and play by matchup until Vaughn is ready. 

Edited by manbearpuig
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

This is what we were talking about earlier today. The Sox would love Cruz on a one and one. 

One year deal with big buyout paid over a decade or so makes sense.  My big question is if you give Cruz two years, what do you do with Vaughn?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, fathom said:

One year deal with big buyout paid over a decade or so makes sense.  My big question is if you give Cruz two years, what do you do with Vaughn?

I like the idea of spreading out the buyout.  RH might have to get creative again and I believe he can get Cruz signed. As far as Vaughn, he is quickly becoming an older prospect (25 yrs old I think?)  I know they have been working him at multiple positions. Corner outfield, 3rd base, etc. I do like that.

Edit: Vaughn is 22. My apologies. 

Edited by smellysox

25 minutes ago, smellysox said:

He's really got to think that at age 40 you're really only going to get 1 yr offers or 1 + 1 team option offers.

Are there teams out there willing to give Cruz 2 or 3 yr contracts guaranteed? There might be one. Idk.

The Padres

• knightni changed the title to Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min