Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min

fathom

1 hour ago, southsideirish71 said:

Rick "JR can I have a word with you about the budget for this year.  We have a couple of additions that I think will put us over the top"

JR "Well didn't you spend money on a closer and an RF.  And I believe you added some salary for a starter with a trade.  You have the best manager that ever lived.  I think we are good enough.  Tony thinks we can win."  

JR is a businessman.  This is a business.  If he wins he wins, if he doesn't well as long as the bottom line works out he is good.  

Rick Hahn: “Actually Jerry, I’m fairly sure the 2020 payroll over 162 games is about $6-7M more than the current payroll as it sits today... The Hendriks & Colome salaries are basically a wash. Yes, we added a starter at about $9.3M (a steal) and a RF at $7M, totaling just over $16.3M. But between McCann, Rodon, Gio Gonzalez, Mazara, & Edwin Encarnacion  — that’s over $31M off the books... So please stop being a pain in my a**. We have a few holes to fill to step on the throats of the AL Central, most of the AL, & contend for a World Series... And LaRussa agrees. Thanks. See you on the Zoom Press Conferences...”

Edited by Stealth G.O.A.T.
  • Like 2

Fuck Stone, that grump doesn’t know shit.  At this point Cruz has to sign with us by default as we’re the last contender with an opening at DH if the Twins are truly out.  And the fact that @Y2Jimmy0 has confirmed we already made an offer and so has Not Cishek only reinforces that confidence.  ALL THE FUCK IN!

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, RagahRagah said:

If the Sox make no additions from this point then this offseason ultimately wasn't that significant and it once again becomes a game of hoping that throwing a bunch of shit at the wall will result in a lot of it sticking. Typical. 

You can say it’s not significant, but saying we’re throwing a bunch of shit at the wall and hoping it sticks doesn’t make any sense.  We’ve literally had three additions and two of them were top 10 AL Cy Young finishers.  The reality is without more additions the Sox are banking on growth and bounce-backs from their younger guys, which is risky to some extent but doesn’t reflect throwing shit against the wall.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 1

I know someone already did this, but here are the primary DHs for all the AL contenders:

• NYY: Giancarlo Stanton
  • TOR: Teoscar Hernandez*
  • TB: Austin Meadows*
  • HOU: Yordan Alvarez
  • OAK: Kris Davis
  • LAA: Shohei Ohtani
  • CLE: Franmil Reyes
  • BOS: J.D. Martinez

Unless Cruz resigns with the Twins or wants to play for a team with zero chance of competing, he’s signing with the Sox.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I know someone already did this, but here are the primary DHs for all the AL contenders:

• NYY: Giancarlo Stanton
  • TOR: Teoscar Hernandez*
  • TB: Austin Meadows*
  • HOU: Yordan Alvarez
  • OAK: Kris Davis
  • LAA: Shohei Ohtani
  • CLE: Franmil Reyes
  • BOS: J.D. Martinez

Unless Cruz resigns with the Twins or wants to play for a team with zero chance of competing, he’s signing with the Sox.

Or he will wait for the NL to get a DH. Those talks are not dead, just dormant for the time being. It's looking more and more like there will be another delay to the season . If the owners say they lost $100M each approx on a 60 game season you can bet they won't want to play 162 with operational minor leagues unless they get some very good news on Covid vaccinations availability very soon.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Or he will wait for the NL to get a DH. Those talks are not dead, just dormant for the time being. It's looking more and more like there will be another delay to the season . If the owners say they lost $100M each approx on a 60 game season you can bet they won't want to play 162 with operational minor leagues unless they get some very good news on Covid vaccinations availability very soon.

They have no leg to stand on though. They won’t be delaying the season unless the MLBPA agrees and they want 162 games of pay. They have a CBA for this season. 

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

They have no leg to stand on though. They won’t be delaying the season unless the MLBPA agrees and they want 162 games of pay. They have a CBA for this season. 

Hey James, what do you think about Stones tweet about Cruz?  You think he’s not up to speed on things or have the Sox maybe moved on?

12 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He may not want to wait indefinitely while the Sox & Twins move in different directions.  At some point he has to make the best of a shit hand or risk an even worse fate.

The one team I wouldn’t be shocked by that hasn’t been mentioned is Seattle. They have some good young talent arriving, Cruz is just a one year deal, and the division is garbage. They overperformed compared to expectations last year.

Their payroll is really low historically for them. 

I don’t know that it’s likely but if one team jumps in I could see them doing it.

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

He may not want to wait indefinitely while the Sox & Twins move in different directions.  At some point he has to make the best of a shit hand or risk an even worse fate.

As long as there are still good players out there waiting to be signed, then he should wait . There's no reason why one of the best hitters in baseball should settle for $10M a year when a guy like Eaton got what he got.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

The one team I wouldn’t be shocked by that hasn’t been mentioned is Seattle. They have some good young talent arriving, Cruz is just a one year deal, and the division is garbage. They overperformed compared to expectations last year.

I don’t know that it’s likely but if one team jumps in I could see them doing it.

Yep I mentioned them a few days ago.  He played there for a few seasons.

12 minutes ago, bmags said:

One of their beat writers was on MLBN last week talking about how their FO is excited about the core they're building and want to make moves to be competitive this year. I took that as they weren't going to trade Marco Gonzalez, like many here have suggested, but it could also mean they seriously do want to add players like Cruz.

Edited by MiddleCoastBias

23 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

I pray you're right!

It's entirely feasible for stadiums to have limited capacity of fans by opening day.  Football has shown that it can be done, and with the vaccine being rolled out, the risk will be lower.  I still don't expect full capacity of fans until late summer, but starting off at 10% - 20% in April seems possible.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

It's entirely feasible for stadiums to have limited capacity of fans by opening day.  Football has shown that it can be done, and with the vaccine being rolled out, the risk will be lower.  I still don't expect full capacity of fans until late summer, but starting off at 10% - 20% in April seems possible.

I couldn't agree more

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Football has shown you don’t get sued because of it, not that it’s a sound public health choice. That means in areas where public health authorities are being listened to, you will get different rules from areas where they aren’t.

• knightni changed the title to Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min