Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min

fathom

2 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

DH forward plan makes sense in 2 ways...

1. Go with Vaughn and he mashes (Yermin can start season if they want to tweak service time)

2. Sign Cruz for 2 years, Trade Vaughn for Burnes/#2, and Eloy becomes DH year 3 when Coespedes is hopefully LF starter and Colas or new FA is RF. 

Scenario 2 is about the only way locking up Cruz for 2 years makes sense to me.  And even then I'd hope its a 2nd year team option.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

🤔...definitely seems like agents baiting the Twins front office here.

Also, that’s the exact lineup I posted when this rumor first appeared.  In the tiny chance we get him, is that pretty much the consensus on what the lineup should look like?

That lineup is sexy.

So, it seems like SoxTalk is really high on Vaughn and expects him to be the team's DH as early as this season.  Are the Sox as high on him?  Do we believe that their plan is to have him take over the DH role at some point in 2021, or is it more likely that he spends the year in the minors and is the DH beginning in 2022?

Either way, I can see the resistance to giving Cruz two years.  But, I fear going into 2021 without a plan for a DH other than the dreaded DH by committee.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

So, it seems like SoxTalk is really high on Vaughn and expects him to be the team's DH as early as this season.  Are the Sox as high on him?  Do we believe that their plan is to have him take over the DH role at some point in 2021, or is it more likely that he spends the year in the minors and is the DH beginning in 2022?

Either way, I can see the resistance to giving Cruz two years.  But, I fear going into 2021 without a plan for a DH other than the dreaded DH by committee.

Are we reading the same Soxtalk?

28 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Twins should be heavy favorites to land Cruz, and they may have to go 2 years to get it done. They have more payroll flexibility remaining right now than the Sox, I’d estimate about $25 million. 

Where did you come up with that $25M?  I’m sure their bear writer speculated much less.

21 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

yes, the sox are high on him.

23 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

The kid is one of the top hitting prospects in baseball.  Why wouldn't people be high on him?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Let's think like Sox FO for a minute.  How can I stretch my dollar the furthest in this market?  Cruz for one year with a significant buyout of year 2 as to not block Vaughn?  Go straight to Vaughn now (can't be worse than EE last year), get whatever is left on the $5-$6 million SP market, grab a backup catcher (Flowers) and call it good til the season?  Isn't it basically those two?  We aren't signing Bauer, Tanaka, Paxton, anyone who is seeing double digits for a contract

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

Let's think like Sox FO for a minute.  How can I stretch my dollar the furthest in this market?  Cruz for one year with a significant buyout of year 2 as to not block Vaughn?  Go straight to Vaughn now (can't be worse than EE last year), get whatever is left on the $5-$6 million SP market, grab a backup catcher (Flowers) and call it good til the season?  Isn't it basically those two?  We aren't signing Bauer, Tanaka, Paxton, anyone who is seeing double digits for a contract

I'd be good with either of those options. 

51 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

DH forward plan makes sense in 2 ways...

1. Go with Vaughn and he mashes (Yermin can start season if they want to tweak service time)

2. Sign Cruz for 2 years, Trade Vaughn for Burnes/#2, and Eloy becomes DH year 3 when Coespedes is hopefully LF starter and Colas or new FA is RF. 

Maybe they can sign Vaughn to a cheap 7/8 year deal (buyout arb years if it 7 and a year of free agency if it's 😎 and out him on the roster day 1.

2 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Maybe they can sign Vaughn to a cheap 7/8 year deal (buyout arb years if it 7 and a year of free agency if it's 😎 and out him on the roster day 1.

Hopefully he considers it.  I wonder if he also realizes that his job in 2021 could depend on it.  I would bet dollars to donuts that a lack of an extension in 21 makes it more likely the Sox spend on a starting DH.

35 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The kid is one of the top hitting prospects in baseball.  Why wouldn't people be high on him?

There probably isn't a person who isn't high on him.  Sorry if my post seemed to question if he's good.  My point is, regardless of whether he makes it to the Sox in 2021 or 2022, I can understand the team's reluctance to sign Cruz to two years.  But, should the Sox sign someone to be the DH for 2021?  Do we believe Vaughn will be in the lineup at some point in 2021?

1 minute ago, hogan873 said:

There probably isn't a person who isn't high on him.  Sorry if my post seemed to question if he's good.  My point is, regardless of whether he makes it to the Sox in 2021 or 2022, I can understand the team's reluctance to sign Cruz to two years.  But, should the Sox sign someone to be the DH for 2021?  Do we believe Vaughn will be in the lineup at some point in 2021?

For my two cents, barring injury Vaughn is a sure bet to be on the roster at some point in 2021.  Even if they sign Cruz, they will work him in with a bench role at some point.

58 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Where did you come up with that $25M?  I’m sure their bear writer speculated much less.

Twins spend roughly $122 million in 2020 and have about $97 million on the books for 2020 as of now. They still have room to spend

Let's not get too excited about potential line-ups or how many HR's we can expect if we land Cruz.  Pitching and defense win championships, and our line-up is potent enough IF we had stronger pitching.  By stronger I don't mean any of our outstanding prospects,  I mean a proven starter like Tanaka or Paxton.

Giving Cruz 2 years would be a mistake.

Edited by A-Train to 35th

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

For my two cents, barring injury Vaughn is a sure bet to be on the roster at some point in 2021.  Even if they sign Cruz, they will work him in with a bench role at some point.

If we were to sign Cruz for a 2 year (preferably 1 with an option, I doubt anyone wants to give him 2 guaranteed) deal I would think the likeliness of using Vaughn as trade bait for a quality SP might dramatically increase. 

• knightni changed the title to Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min