Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min

fathom

2 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Let's not get too excited about potential line-ups or how many HR's we can expect if we land Cruz.  Pitching and defense win championships, and our line-up is potent enough IF we had stronger pitching.  By stronger I don't mean any of our outstanding prospects,  I mean a proven starter like Tanaka or Paxton.

Giving Cruz 2 years would be a mistake.

Sox won't go anything beyond a one year deal + a club option with buyout. Cruz is nearly 41 years old, the wheels could fall off at any time. Father time always wins eventually. 

4 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Let's not get too excited about potential line-ups or how many HR's we can expect if we land Cruz.  Pitching and defense win championships, and our line-up is potent enough IF we had stronger pitching.  By stronger I don't mean any of our outstanding prospects,  I mean a proven starter like Tanaka or Paxton.

Giving Cruz 2 years would be a mistake.

Pitching and defense does win championships.  Part of that pitching and defense is keeping the other team from hitting moon shots from their DH position with men on.  You know a real way to make that happen, give him money to hit moon shots on your team.  

17 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Sox won't go anything beyond a one year deal + a club option with buyout. Cruz is nearly 41 years old, the wheels could fall off at any time. Father time always wins eventually. 

Exactly my point, and the wheels tend to fall off most once they reach the SOX.

Pitching and defense wins championships!

Sign a  pitcher, our offense is fine.

Edited by A-Train to 35th
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, southsideirish71 said:

Pitching and defense does win championships.  Part of that pitching and defense is keeping the other team from hitting moon shots from their DH position with men on.  You know a real way to make that happen, give him money to hit moon shots on your team.  

If you have the pitching you don't have to worry so much about moonshots, especially with a team like the SOX who has hitters!  

I think sox aren't so wrong with their approach they just need to make sure to have depth in SP that can actually pitch 5 IP even if its a 4 ER game.

I'm starting to feel like of offense, starting pitching, bullpen, and defense, you can have the most slack with defense and be good (see dodgers, nationals), then next would be starting pitching. But having excellent bullpen+offense seems to be where the top teams are ending up last several years.

Then you have teams with one exceptional thing, like the Nats starting pitching being able to pull forward its lackluster bullpen and defense. But Reds with just great starting pitching? Was able to pull into an expanded playoff field.

1 hour ago, Orlando said:

If the Twins don’t land him, where else can he possibly fit? My hopes are way too high for this to happen. I doubt it does. 

If it's really just a two team race, and some of you guys think it'll be resolved today, then I'm not sure how this tweet got glossed over. It makes it seem like he's far more likely to sign with the Sox

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

If it's really just a two team race, and some of you guys think it'll be resolved today, then I'm not sure how this tweet got glossed over. It makes it seem like he's far more likely to sign with the Sox

Until you re-read Steve Stone's tweets. Stone is clearly plugged directly to Hahn. I thought it was JR, but Stone thought we were getting Hinch to be manager. So I think it is Hahn who feeds Stone his info. 

10 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

There really isn't much of a market for Cruz unless the NL was to go to a DH.  Twins, Sox, possibly the Astros.

Just now, YourWhatHurts said:

1) Twins

2) General Bullshit

3) Hector's Bullshit

I would have agreed with this but the Twins beat writer who is claiming that Cruz and the Twins aren't close makes this whole thing interesting to me. It feels like this is all a bunch of nonsense that ends with Cruz back in Minnesota but why is the Twins guy so adamant that it's unlikely?

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Judging by Stone's reaction, I am not sure that one of substance actually exists.

Stone has been right more than he’s been wrong but if this was all a ploy to get the Twins to pay up, I can’t imagine the Sox would be happy with him for unequivocally denying it.

Edited by Orlando

Just now, KrankinSox said:

I would have agreed with this but the Twins beat writer who is claiming that Cruz and the Twins aren't close makes this whole thing interesting to me. It feels like this is all a bunch of nonsense that ends with Cruz back in Minnesota but why is the Twins guy so adamant that it's unlikely?

Cruz may be feeding the Twins guy info about him not being close to signing in Minnesota. Cruz may be feeding our mouthpieces info about wanting to come here and the Sox having an offer. Both scenarios make the Twins want to think twice. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KrankinSox said:

I feel like if you're Minny, you can't afford to lose Cruz to your biggest division rival. If that means going 2 years, you have to do it. In the end, I think Cruz will get his 2 years with the Twins, because I doubt the Sox will give him 2 years. 

• knightni changed the title to Hector wrong. Again. - Cruz back with Min